I agree, the Time ad is superior.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

From the first two pages of Newsweek (July 21, 2003):

Click here for larger version.

Y'all are correct.

The Newsweek version is much better than the Time ad, IMO.

Time follows the classic left/right advertising spread model of (technical) text on left, (artistic) image on right, intended to trigger a reaction from either or both sides of the brain.

Newsweek mirrors its layout perfectly with the additional messaging layer of IBM (technical guts) on the left, and Apple (artistic vision) on the right. This occurs not just with the logos and images, but contextually.

Superior visual design, copy, and continuity of message points to Newsweek version.

If we wanted to extend the audience segmentation argument based on these ads,

Looks like Newsweek readers are credited/targeted due to more "scientific susceptibility",

while the Time readers get a more general tech message and big computer picture.

it'll be interesting to see if the demographic trend continues as discussed above
  • Reply 24 of 29
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The Newsweek ad gives equal billing in the layout to IBM and Apple. Interesting that they're using the cache of IBM to give "legitimacy" to possible corporate buyers. The Time ad is more consumer oriented with emphasis on the actual features and looks of the computer. I think they're just testing ad concepts... not demographics which are practically the same for both publications. We've come a long way from when Apple and IBM were bashing heads over the personal computer!
  • Reply 25 of 29
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Perhaps they're hoping to bank on IBM's reputation for quality PC's to support apple's design and easy of use reputation. You do get it all in one fanariffic tower.

In time and newsweek it's good to run a copyheavy ad.

In rolling stone on the otherhand...
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Thanks to the ones who scanned the images... You guys rock!
  • Reply 27 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The G5 needs a slogan...

"More fans than the Montreal Expos."
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

I agree, the Time ad is superior.

apparently so did apple, in this weeks newsweek they ran the ad that was in time last week.

time had no apple ad.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    im still not getting the deal as to why apple is so obsessed w/ showing off the actual G5 wafer. as far as i remember, all cpu's are made on a very similar looking wafer.