Apple's Cardiac Hemorrhage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Despite the PowerMac G5, things do not look good for Apple.

Toshiba's first entry to the 17-inch notebook market wipes the floor with Apple's current offerings, while Apple's 15-inch is so horribly outdated, rumors fly of this model's EOL.

Apple's market share continues to drop, despite the Switch campaign.

Apple has touted this as the year of the notebook, yet it seems all the focus this year is on Desktops. We all should have seen the writing on the wall when Apple failed to update the archaic 15" along with the 12" and the 17".

Now it seems likely that we won't see any Powerbook updates until *this* January. And while Apple is touting their rapidly aging notebooks, the competition is actually making this the year of the notebooks by doing what Apple should be doing: Innovating.

In order for Apple to at least slow the hemorrhage down, Apple would have to release brand new notebooks *before* years end that totally blows the competition out of the water.

Not likely. Apple is too fond of having low end systems being too feature-deprived, such that entry level models from the competition have better prices *and* more features; like more ram and hd space, occasionally better optical drives, etc.

And don't get me started on graphics cards, Apple never includes a top of the line graphics card with their computers, they use low end graphics cards, and just upgrade them enough on new models to make novice computer users think they're getting superior graphics cards, but in reality, Apple's still years behind the competition there.

Apple still has a lot to do to make up for all this "benign neglect" of its product lines. Like actually making a G4 iBook instead of a PowerBook G4 12", G5 iMac, G5 Powerbook 15-inch and 17-inch, and drop the 12" powerbook, because the ibooks will be G4, and drop the stupid 14" iBook. Almost no one buys them. The few who do only do so because they don't want to spend the money on a 15". Easy solution, drop the prices on the 15".

But none of this is going to happen in time to save Apple's bottom line. With this, declining service, declining repair satisfation, Mac customers are becomming more and more frustrated with Apple. Apple's decision to move away from set releases and keynotes also creates a great uncertainty of when new products might be announced or released.

I used to advise people who were thinking of purchasing a Mac close to a keynote to wait until afterwards, but now, it's anyone's guess.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. ~ Mark Twain
  • Reply 2 of 35
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    there is a keynote tomarrow and the new powerbooks will be announced then... I hope... I mean i am flying to New York from Atlanta to see them
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Topic: Apple's Cardiac Hemorrhage

their heart is bleeding?
  • Reply 4 of 35
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yawn,...the only thing you've got correct is the 14" iBook is a piece of crap.

Everything else you've spouted has been said over the past 20+ years, yet Apple's still around.

Yes, they have issues like price but other the Dell, who else is profitable?
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Dell prices? come on... you get what you pay for, i bought a dell and it literally crumbled to pieces
  • Reply 6 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'm sure the G5 sales are horrible...not to mention the iPod and iSight sales, they must suck, then with the iTMS what a horrible failure

apple is doomed!

Edit: oh yeah apple isn't innovating? competitors are copying apple's ideas so apple isn't the only one on the market with it...apple isn't innovating?

i think apple is in great shape profit wise, if they could incrase their market share that would be the best though...apple won't die, if the hardware dries up they will go to a different architecure
  • Reply 7 of 35
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

Dell prices? come on... you get what you pay for, i bought a dell and it literally crumbled to pieces

I said Apple had pricing issues, not Dell prices.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    I might agree before the 970 intro, but it can keep apple alive for a while.

Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Yes, they have issues like price but other the Dell, who else is profitable?

Apple has only been profitable for a year or two because of investment earnings.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I said Apple had pricing issues, not Dell prices.

i was just trying to make a point to the people thatthink that dells are good because they cost less, there are lots of people like that
  • Reply 10 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Toshiba's first entry to the 17-inch notebook market wipes the floor with Apple's current offerings, while Apple's 15-inch is so horribly outdated, rumors fly of this model's EOL.

1. How does it wipe the floor? To me it looks like a shitty built typical notebook that was enlarged to fit a 17 inch display with little more thought than that going into the product.

2. the 15 inch is not horribly outdated which is why its sort of funny everyone is expecting and has been expecting an update. It will come soon enough but besides Airport Extreme, its basically in line with Apple's other powerbooks.

Quote:

yet they are increasing their user base. Does it really matter?

Quote:

Now it seems likely that we won't see any Powerbook updates until *this* January. And while Apple is touting their rapidly aging notebooks, the competition is actually making this the year of the notebooks by doing what Apple should be doing: Innovating.

why January? because that's when MWSF is? get a clue.

Quote:

Not likely. Apple is too fond of having low end systems being too feature-deprived, such that entry level models from the competition have better prices *and* more features; like more ram and hd space, occasionally better optical drives, etc.

odd, i never look at a comparison between a pc and a mac and am dissapointed in the mac's ram, hd, or optical drive..... usually its other aspects of the system.

Quote:

And don't get me started on graphics cards, Apple never includes a top of the line graphics card with their computers, they use low end graphics cards, and just upgrade them enough on new models to make novice computer users think they're getting superior graphics cards, but in reality, Apple's still years behind the competition there.

for all product lines with the exception of the PowerMac and maybe iMac now Apple does pretty well with graphic cards recently. The iBook has a great GPU especially considering most laptops that cheap on the pc side have integrated shared ram shit chipsets. The Powerbook has no slouch of a graphic card. eMac i'm sure uses what is economically feasible.

Apple offers higher end cards for the PowerMac. They aren't going to ship them standard with them.... that's duumb business.

and the iMac.... well, it could use an update.

Quote:

Like actually making a G4 iBook instead of a PowerBook G4 12", G5 iMac, G5 Powerbook 15-inch and 17-inch, and drop the 12" powerbook, because the ibooks will be G4, and drop the stupid 14" iBook. Almost no one buys them. The few who do only do so because they don't want to spend the money on a 15". Easy solution, drop the prices on the 15".

1. 12 inch iBook and 12 inch powerbook are completely different and really, they have little overlap. if anything the 12 inch needs to be beefed up. and considering how well the 12 inch powerbook is selling only an asshole would get rid of it

2. the 14 inch iBook actually sells pretty well. what do you know? not much

3. prices on the 15 inch already have dropped. you can't expect apple to somehow find away to chop 600 bucks off a product just because you think that product should fill a cheaper products role.

Quote:

ut none of this is going to happen in time to save Apple's bottom line. With this, declining service, declining repair satisfation, Mac customers are becomming more and more frustrated with Apple. Apple's decision to move away from set releases and keynotes also creates a great uncertainty of when new products might be announced or released.

frustration? where?

you're a whiner.

Quote:

I used to advise people who were thinking of purchasing a Mac close to a keynote to wait until afterwards, but now, it's anyone's gues

yes, and that's bad?

now we get hardware when its READY rather than apple holding off a few months to wait for MW. Now Apple has less inventory problems. Resellers get rid of their stock and supply dwindles. Apple loses less sales to people who always used to say I'll wait till MW.

It's better for Apple, maybe not exactly for you, but Apple's a business. What do you want?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    jaedrethjaedreth Posts: 20member
    My grim assessment is based on the fact that Apple has to work three times as hard to be half as profitable. Apple as a company isn't dying, but Apple *is* getting further and further behind in almost every area. And for some reason Apple thinks they can make it all better by releasing awesome desktops, when most of their customers are wanting to move to portables.

The G5 is an amazing piece of engineering.

However, the G5 tower aside, Apple is sliding behind the competition. And has been for some time. The portable products seem to be the redheaded stepchild of Apple, when Apple is touting this as the year of the notebook. Year of the PC notebook?

Apple is nowhere near death, but Apple is not at all well either. Apple is going to have to innovate with more than just the desktop line, and do it five times better than any of the competition just to be noticed, as usual.

I'm not saying Apple is doomed, I'm saying Apple is sliding back downhill, and needs to work hard to keep from sliding any further. The G5 did a lot to help this, but Apple needs a lot more.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    apple is not falling iin almost every area that is crap

• Reply 13 of 35
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaedreth

Actually, Apple brass has gone on record saying that market share has doubled in demographics targeted by their Apple Stores.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

I'm not saying Apple is doomed, I'm saying Apple is sliding back downhill, and needs to work hard to keep from sliding any further. The G5 did a lot to help this, but Apple needs a lot more.

*offers to get out and push*
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

My grim assessment is based on the fact that Apple has to work three times as hard to be half as profitable. Apple as a company isn't dying, but Apple................blah blah blah..........is doomed, I'm saying Apple is sliding back downhill, and needs to work hard to keep from sliding any further. The G5 did a lot to help this, but Apple needs a lot more.

dude, read your first post again,

you saw that another company finally caught up to apple's 17" (it took what, 6 months?) and totally freaked out. but unless they've figured a way to cram apple's o/s in there they haven't really caught up at all.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

My grim assessment is based on the fact that Apple has to work three times as hard to be half as profitable.

i look upon that as a positive.

Quote:

Apple as a company isn't dying, but Apple *is* getting further and further behind in almost every area.

what areas?

Quote:

And for some reason Apple thinks they can make it all better by releasing awesome desktops, when most of their customers are wanting to move to portables.

Apple released entirely new and expanded range of laptops at the beginning of the year. New ones will come soon. Apple doesn't update products in 4 months.

Quote:

However, the G5 tower aside, Apple is sliding behind the competition. And has been for some time. The portable products seem to be the redheaded stepchild of Apple, when Apple is touting this as the year of the notebook. Year of the PC notebook?

Apple's laptops have always been the best. Perhaps PC notebooks right now have better specs, perhaps are cheaper. But if you ever compared a PC laptop to an Apple laptop you'd realize the differences go much deaper than specifications. I'm sorry, but, Apple just makes the best laptops available, they are the best built, best designed, best all around portables.

Apple said Year of the Notebook in that notebooks sales for Apple would be the largest ever. That doesn't mean they planned on upgrading them every other month

Quote:

Apple is going to have to innovate with more than just the desktop line, and do it five times better than any of the competition just to be noticed, as usual.

considering even in dire times Apple's laptops have always been great deals I really don't see this as much of a concern. Every product gets dissed near the end of the run by fools and then Apple releases a nice update and people like yourself shut up.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Nice frickin' thread title.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    jaedrethjaedreth Posts: 20member
    I'm a whiner?

Please, let's not throw personal slurs just because you disagree.

I may be whining at the moment, but I feel justified in doing so, I worked for Apple for 3 years, and have become very frustrated with a seeming attitude of "desktops first, portables last". I'm rather upset at how many portables customers have consistently poor service experiences, and how even though competing pc laptops have inferior quality, but superior features. Apple doesn't even offer a drive that does CD R+W or DVD R-W or R+W.

Apple isn't going anywhere, but Apple has some major issues to deal with, some of them I don't think they realize they even have. It's hipocracy how they tout this the year of the Notebook, and this has been a rather disappointing year aside from one single month, January. The 15" wasn't updated then, so I could hardly count that month a total success either.

Jaedreth
  • Reply 19 of 35
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Someone should time-capsule these posts about how the sky is falling and Apple is doomed. (That's right, I turned time-capsule into a transitive verb.)

Then instead of taking the time to type itemized rebuttals, we can just post them in chronological order, one from each week, starting in ? oh, lets pick a date. How about 1984?

I did get a good chuckle out of this one though. The only numbers posted were screen sizes, to the nearest integer. But hey? why bother with statistics when wall street analysts have been consistently wrong about Apple for the company?s entire existence?

Sorry jaedreth, you?re going to need more than an unsubstantiated gut-feeling to covince us. We?ve seen the same ?the sky is falling? post literally thousands of times over the past decade.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

I'm a whiner?

Jaedreth

usually some who starts a paragraph with "and don't get me started"

could be considered a whiner, but i'd never call you one.