Loop Rumors: iSight To Be Built-In To Future Apple Displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    eliahueliahu Posts: 71member
    While the iSight is deep, I think much of that depth is due to the electronics inside. If the iSight was built-in, they could place the electronics of the camera elsewhere and have a shorter depth for the lens part.

Alternatively, they could take an airport-style approach and build in the electronics for the iSight and make the lens part an optional purchase.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    When I get my PowerBook, I'm going to get an iSight. But I don't want anyone to see me, so I'll probably appear with a brown paper bag over my head with eye holes cut out.

Is that okay?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    They could have an "iMac AV" at the top end and keep the current $1800 price point (or maybe down to $1700) while having the non AV (same comp but no integrated iSight) model drop down to fifteen or sixteen hundred.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    I'm seriously thinking of purchasing an iSight, but I'm having trouble trying to justify that purchase. Most people I chat with aren't on AIM/iChat and I would primarily end up using it with QuickTime Broadcaster to record videos I could later put on iDVD/iMovie. That's all.

For the same 150 bucks I could buy:

* 3 Xbox/Gamecube titles.

* A new Gameboy Advance SP with two games.

* Pair of Oakley's.

* 10.3 Panther (once it comes out)

* Assorted goodies (a new iPod case, some CDs, whatever)

My point is, there's not a lot you can do with iSight right NOW. Had Apple released an iSight-iPod link cable, things would have been much more appealing.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Paul: just use the A and not the V in iChat AV. They have audio conferencing too. Remember the demo with the French guy (Halet? Hulut? Anyway?) and Steve where he first did audio only then switched to video?

Anyway, the only thing I wanted to add was that there is one slightly inelegant part of the iSight: the clip-on piece you have to wrap the firewire cable with to fix it to the mount. eliminating the process of picking the right mount, threading the firewire cable, clipping that thing on and of course having to deal with the mount, especially for portables on the go, is reason enough to offer some sort of integrated solution like this. If the only thing you had to do was open or close the lens and adjust its position, it would be that much more compelling.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I think built in 'iSight' is a fantastic idea.

Re: it being in Apple's displays. Good idea. Without the need for an iSight to further clutter up your desktop. (Not that an iSight is anyway inelegant, mind...)

*i took out ur sig cuz it bothers me when people sign their posts*

the point of iSight is that its onthe display...strait on with u so it DOES NOT clutter the desktop
  • Reply 27 of 36
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    I wish Apple would Allow you to by replacement mount pads. I'm getting 2 new 23" Apple HD Displays and I'm selling my current 23" to a friend so i can buy the new ones with my Dual G5 that way they are covered under apple care. How ever in removing the mount I'm afraid it will not mount correctly when it goes on one of the new ones.

the only other option I have is to sell it with the display
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Are you going to have two 23" displays used together, in one set-up? Side by side?

Or is one for home and one for work?

If it's the former, you're a bastard! A cool, lucky one, at that.

If they're to be used side-by-side, can you send pics of this set-up? My subscription to Amateur Tail Monthly just ran out and I'm gonna need something to look at...
  • Reply 29 of 36
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I just don't like the idea, though I guess it isn't bad for the laptop traveller. I'd rather have a desktop component be what it is and NOT integrated, just another point of failure otherwise.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    I don't know how they could do this AND accomplish two things that seems to carry some importance to Apple:

1. Allow for tilt/swivel mobility

2. Be sleek and integrated into the unit, not jutting out like a PC or modem card, just asking to be snapped off accidentally.

One kinda undoes the other, you know? If you integrate it into the display (kinda like Hal's "eye"?), then it seems it would be "set in", and you couldn't aim it directly where you needed it.

If it keeps its current form and simply grafted on to the top, not only is that kinda a brainless, graceless solution, it just seems like a target for accidents. The cool thing about Apple is that they've moved away from doors, latches and any protruding things on most of their products (iBook, PowerBooks, iPods, eMacs, iMac, etc.). And that's one of the things that are so cool about them. I never think "ooo, this little door is on its last legs..." because there is no door!

Same with just plopping an iSight on top of a display.

However, I will concede something, regarding #1 above: if these apparent new displays themselves are designed - like the flat-panel iMac - to have swivel/tilt capability, then my argument #1 can be discounted, because you could then point the display, and, by extension, the iSight camera embedded within, to optimal, precise location/angle/height.

But that's only if new displays are iMac-like in their mobility!
  • Reply 31 of 36
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Built in doesn't mean it can't stick out in front or in back. Also, optics can be adjusted to accomodate a shorter focal length. A fold out camera, as suggested above, could be a possibiltiy. Apple, we can sure, will come up with an elegant design.

It's called a first-surface mirror... mount it sideways and just use a mirror to aim the camera, you can even have the mirror move, but then you have to keystone correct
  • Reply 32 of 36
    three words: 1) not 2)gonna 3)happen.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    There is a Firewire port on the bottom of the iSight so they could just add a Firewire connector on the top of their displays. Just plug it in and you're ready to go. Don't see it happening but...
  • Reply 34 of 36
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    This doesn't make very much sense. If they integrate the iSight into their displays, they can keep the displays at the same price and eat the cost of the camera themselves (even though most people won't be using it), or they could raise the price of the displays (even though most people won't be using it).

By keeping it separate, they can still make money off the camera from people who actually plan on using it.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    they would also have to release ADC2, keeping with the single cable fascination.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    Building in an iSight would not be a good thing. May be they can come up with a better mounting system! I noticed that even when I adjust my isight it still looks down on me instead of at me.

Also the stickie pad scares me too I thought I was going to break my display when I had to pull it off to adjust the location of mount.