Soundtrack!

tiktik
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Soundtrack looks to be exactly what I'm looking for, that is, an Apple compatible Acidpro type product (but more elegant and user-friendly, of course).

What I absolutely need to know however, is if you can use 'one shots' and 'clip' (cut the end of a loop and paste it in repeat to create a 'skipping' sound...like they use in 'glitch' techno.

Anyone know this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    Just in case anyone else is wondering, I got ahold of tech support and they confirmed the ability to 'clip'.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    This should be posted in Genius Bar.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Good. You never know when you want to add that e-e-e-e-e-e-effect.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Yes, i am also considering buying Soundtrack
  • Reply 5 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I don't quite get soundtrack. It comes with loops and stuff, and you're just supposed to paste them together? I'm assuming you can import whatever loops and stuff you want. But does it just work with samples and loops? seems kind of pricey then, especially considering you can get Reason for the same price and it does loops, samples, synths, drums, effects, sequencing, mixing, and has the benefit of acting like hardware(patching and stuff like that)

Is sountrack really worth it? I've never worked with Final Cut pro(I only saw my brother use Version 1.0 that's it)

What's so special about soundtrack?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I don't quite get soundtrack. It comes with loops and stuff, and you're just supposed to paste them together? I'm assuming you can import whatever loops and stuff you want. But does it just work with samples and loops? seems kind of pricey then, especially considering you can get Reason for the same price and it does loops, samples, synths, drums, effects, sequencing, mixing, and has the benefit of acting like hardware(patching and stuff like that)

Is sountrack really worth it? I've never worked with Final Cut pro(I only saw my brother use Version 1.0 that's it)

Reason works with Midi. Since every Reason user has a subset of guaranteed Effects synths etc you created your music and only save the Midi data on configuration. While Reason has looping it's not on the level of a Soundtrack, Ableton Live or Acid. These apps are able to Pitch change, match tempos and key all in realtime. Theres really very minimal margin for user error. However this technology takes alot of Horsepower to do it right(hence the need for a G4 700Mhz or better).

Soundtrack will have it's place. Reason should be marketed at a different user.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I suppose, though I still think that if you are willing to put the time into it, Reason is just amazing for music production, Then once you havea completed song you can export the .aiff file.

I do want to try Soundtrack though...it does sound pretty neat.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Reason is just amazing for music production

Unless you need to import...oh...ANYTHING, in which case it sucks pretty badly.

Chet.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think I see Apple's new trend: they're going to make a Prosumer version of every Pro product. Final Cut Pro; Final Cut Express. Logic; Soundtrack. I CAN'T WAIT for Shake Lite!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think I see Apple's new trend: they're going to make a Prosumer version of every Pro product. Final Cut Pro; Final Cut Express. Logic; Soundtrack. I CAN'T WAIT for Shake Lite!

shake lite would be a little more difficult to create i think
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Soundtrack is not based on Logic lineage. There are smaller Logic packages that are available for those that don't want the Platinum version.

Shake will not come in a Lite version. After Effects 6 just came out and there really is no need for Apple to enter this market when a capable product is available. Premiere just wasn't capable and therefore needed to be replaced.

Apple may want to create a DVD Authoring package at around $199. I'm not sure $499 is a great pricepoint for those people who want something more than iDVD but less than DVDSP 2.0

Apple needs some Production Bundles. The first bundle should be.

1. Final Cut Express ($299 retail)

2. DVD Studio Express($199 retail includes Compressor)

3. Logic Big Box($249 retail. Incl Logic 6 and instruments)

4. Soundtrack Lite (no retail Ships with less loops)

Ship this puppy for $599 and get people creating video and burning DVDs. This won't affect Final Cut Pro sales because it still doesn't offer the features of FCP in many areas and is still limited to DV only. Apple will need to head off competition on the PC side with Adobes Video Bundle including AE/Premiere Pro/Encore/Audition. That's pretty formidable running on PC hardware. Let's not get caught with our pants down.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple needs some Production Bundles. The first bundle should be.

1. Final Cut Express ($299 retail)

2. DVD Studio Express($199 retail includes Compressor)

3. Logic Big Box($249 retail. Incl Logic 6 and instruments)

4. Soundtrack Lite (no retail Ships with less loops)

[/B]

What do you need Logic Big Box for?? Are you composing music or shooting a video?

Basically if you watch the quick tour of Soundtrack (which you gotta see, this app is a brilliant idea), you see that it's aimed at film makers not musicians. The interface is similar to FCP not logic/pro tools, et al. It's a quick way to create a "soundtrack" to your movies, not making a "music video"...of course musicians will have fun w/ this app...(i think it's time for me to get an FCP4 upgrade!!)
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I don't quite get soundtrack.

http://www.apple.com/soundtrack/quicktour/

check it out! explains it all...
  • Reply 14 of 24
    I'd also like to say that After Effects is really more suited towards motion graphics animation, and less suited to compositing. I mean, I guess you can do compositing in After Effects, but I never have, save the one time just to see how it was done. When I need to do compositing, I fire up combustion here at home, or Flame when I was at Turner
  • Reply 15 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I'd also like to say that After Effects is really more suited towards motion graphics animation, and less suited to compositing. I mean, I guess you can do compositing in After Effects, but I never have, save the one time just to see how it was done. When I need to do compositing, I fire up combustion here at home, or Flame when I was at Turner

man i guess i'm gonna have to learn shake and maya since i'm getting a g5
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

What do you need Logic Big Box for?? Are you composing music or shooting a video?

Basically if you watch the quick tour of Soundtrack (which you gotta see, this app is a brilliant idea), you see that it's aimed at film makers not musicians. The interface is similar to FCP not logic/pro tools, et al. It's a quick way to create a "soundtrack" to your movies, not making a "music video"...of course musicians will have fun w/ this app...(i think it's time for me to get an FCP4 upgrade!!)

Yes Soundtrack has it's benefits but it doesn't do midi. The Logic Big Box gives you excellent Midi and Softsynths. Soundtrack can be used there by exporting finished loops. Apple really needs to develop a suite of apps to support Digital Vide right. The only problem is avoiding stepping on Adobes toes.

Ideally you'd want

NLE App

Compositing App

Text or small 3D app

Sound

Image Editor.

Apple has everything but the Image Editor and Compositer(low end -mid range).
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Yes Soundtrack has it's benefits but it doesn't do midi. The Logic Big Box gives you excellent Midi and Softsynths. Soundtrack can be used there by exporting finished loops.

No need for midi, Soundtrack loop utility lets you create the loops w/ raw samples if you like. The whole point is that you don't need a program like Logic to create the loops. Including Logic in a DV package is a bit overkill.

But, it would be nice to see the DVDStudio express type product.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

No need for midi, Soundtrack loop utility lets you create the loops w/ raw samples if you like. The whole point is that you don't need a program like Logic to create the loops. Including Logic in a DV package is a bit overkill.

But, it would be nice to see the DVDStudio express type product.

Agreed in some circumstances. However that must be taken with caveats. Loop based tools are great for Pop songs and the like but their not going to do well with things like Strings and Pads which dominate Movie Scoring. I like Soundtrack but it's still going to be limited in various ways. Looping is just another paradigm for music creation but it won't cover all the bases.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

man i guess i'm gonna have to learn shake and maya since i'm getting a g5

Same here. I'll really excercise my G5 well.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Agreed in some circumstances. However that must be taken with caveats. Loop based tools are great for Pop songs and the like but their not going to do well with things like Strings and Pads which dominate Movie Scoring. I like Soundtrack but it's still going to be limited in various ways. Looping is just another paradigm for music creation but it won't cover all the bases.

Strings can totally be looped, they can be used without sounding like Moby...(which is a good thing!)...I think Soundtrack is being underestimated here, we are talking about a $299 app that allows original background music/sounds to be created. Really what else is out there?