Are you satisfied with the level of discussion here?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For me it seems like this place have gone downhill the last few weeks and ned to be recalibrated. But perhaps its just me?

I like the discussion to be heated and agressive as long as the focus are on the issue and the arguments. Whenever references to other persons in the discussion are being made it should be in a way that the that person would find okay IMO.

But what do you feel? Am I alone in this or what? I´m certainly not trying to be a mod but I really want to know if the direction this forum have taken is the will of the users or if its sneaking up behind our backs without anyone wishing it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And pelase dont give examples or play the blame game. Thats not the idea of this.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    "For me it seems like this place have gone downhill the last few weeks and ned to be recalibrated."

I feel the same way about EU politics. Discuss.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

And pelase dont give examples or play the blame game. Thats not the idea of this.

• Reply 4 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm not too impressed with most of your recent threads, Anders. Salad dressing? French fries dip? And then a meta thread about the other threads?

• Reply 5 of 33
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I guess I picked the wrong selection on the poll.

Title: Are you satisfied with the level of discussion here?

My answer: No

Question: AO have gone downhill lately and something should be done to restore it.

My answer: Yes

• Reply 6 of 33
    sounds to me like the polotical worm is turning, and someone wants to take their ball and go home.

and no i don't think it the worst it ever been, that's usually the religious threads.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I´m truly honest about this. I see this on "both sides" (both those I agree with and disagree with)

Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm not too impressed with most of your recent threads, Anders. Salad dressing? French fries dip?

Yes it occured to me the message was too subtle for anyone to figure it out

I Just reacted on the pizza topping thread. He have had so many food/beer/YNI threads that people couldn´t agree on how many pizza toppings thread we have had. It was my way of saying perhaps there is more to life than pizza topping.

No hard feeling to my buddy Aquafire that started it though.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Summer, is the good season to make a break, go to holidays and pleased your reptilian brain.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    tell that to my ankle bracelet!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Summer, is the good season to make a break, go to holidays and pleased your reptilian brain.

Not when you are making your bachelor paper. And the one you want to take a break or go on holiday with is away
  • Reply 11 of 33
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Not to mention names or anything but Powerdoc is one of the reasons I love the bunch here.

I am always open to a lively debate or discussion!! I do miss some of the people that were here in days past.. Not to mention names... Nordstrodamus, The Geld, and others... but I am still very happy with people here like Anders and ALLLLL the rest of you! Yes Hassan! That includes you... (get your self back here more often!)

I think the heavy level of political threads has taken a toll on our happpiness possibly but no fear... life is more than the corruption and slop known as politics. I believe we can find all kinds of randy topics to toss about

Philosophy, Science, Futurism, History, Arts,

I think the world in general is in a sort of Daze... with the war in Iraq, talk of North Korea... and the like. Weak global economic news all the time.

I suggest not to worry!!!! Take hold of the day! Remember the days not too far distant in the late 90's where there was a spirit of "Anything is Possible"

And I love the definition of Possible:

1. Capable of happening, existing, or being true without contradicting proven facts, laws, or circumstances.

2. Capable of occurring or being done without offense to character, nature, or custom.

3. Capable of favorable development; potential

Remember this with the Forum Apple Outsider !!

I truly believe we have to be able to (via what ever means, from within, from God, from inspiration from art, music, etc.) empower ourselves and then we can truly empower others.

When we keep our mind on what can be and what we derive our passions from we can develope new ideas and new passions. This growth is the way to live! Sure the world can be an ugly place with depressing news and many many problems. The question is "how are we going to sit with that?" Do we become depressed and defeated? or as I would suggest: Do we take hold of every day and learn, share, love, and expand our minds as well as fellowship with others and grow!

There is so much potential! Let's Go After It!!!

Fellowship
  • Reply 12 of 33
    SINCE IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT TYPING IN CAPITALS IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED TO PUT ANY ARGUMENT TO BED WITH A STEAMING CUP OF BOVRIL AND SOME GINGER-SNAP BISCUITS, THE LEVEL OF DISCUSSION ON THESE BOARDS HAS BECOME IRRELEVANT.

SO I VOTE FOR 'NO', UNTIL THERE IS A LAW PREVENTING THE USE OF THE CAPS LOCK. IT'S A BIT LIKE TAKING STEROIDS. IT'S NOT FAIR.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    BY THE WAY, FELLOWSHIP, I LOVE YOU TOO.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    We have what?... 8000-some members? I doubt any of the veterans here honestly expect the quality of discourse to be high all the time, maybe not even a majority of the tiem. Sometimes it's really good, sometimes it sucks. Depends on who's around and what's happening in the world. That's life.

I post here for non-Mac discussion (mostly) and elsewhere for the technical stuff, though this forum does have some members with a really strong knowledge of how things work (programmer, THT, etc.).
  • Reply 15 of 33
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

For me it seems like this place have gone downhill the last few weeks and ned to be recalibrated. But perhaps its just me?

I like the discussion to be heated and agressive as long as the focus are on the issue and the arguments. Whenever references to other persons in the discussion are being made it should be in a way that the that person would find okay IMO.

But what do you feel? Am I alone in this or what? I´m certainly not trying to be a mod but I really want to know if the direction this forum have taken is the will of the users or if its sneaking up behind our backs without anyone wishing it.

No, I'd like to see the wackos on both sides of the fence culled. The person who contributes least though is Scott and I think he should have been banned a long time ago.

Whoops, didn't read your second post before posting this. Oh well. The damage is done.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yes but Scott has made up for some of his indiscretions by posting the link to a fine video in his "WTF is this?" thread. You should check it out. If ever there was a quality discussion topic...

• Reply 17 of 33
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

I guess I picked the wrong selection on the poll.

Title: Are you satisfied with the level of discussion here?

My answer: No

Question: AO have gone downhill lately and something should be done to restore it.

My answer: Yes

Dag nab it. I just picked the wrong one. Could someone make the thread title and poll question correlate for those of us who don't read?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Yes but Scott has made up for some of his indiscretions by posting the link to a fine video in his "WTF is this?" thread. You should check it out. If ever there was a quality discussion topic...

I've seen it. It should buy him an extra week.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

No hard feeling to my buddy Aquafire that started it though.

I put the Pizza in the oven, because as you might have noted, ( and here I agree with you..) there has been a lot of crap flying around. With the exception of a few posters for whom I have the greatest respect , the "political " posts have been unneccessarily personal.

That is why I have chosen to largely stay out of them.

So wearing my psychologist's hat. I was merely trying to get some levity into the place...

There is madness behind my method..errr

or is it method behind my madness..

Whatever.

Ps No offence taken Anders....at least your a " grown up ".

• Reply 20 of 33
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Dag nab it. I just picked the wrong one. Could someone make the thread title and poll question correlate for those of us who don't read?

This reminds me of voters in Florida

Fellows