If powerbooks don't come by september...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If powerbooks don't come by september what are you guys gona do? I know alot of people on these forums are students, including my self, and are gona want to have their laptop *before* school starts. I dono im just really scared apple will be an ass and make all the students clear the channel then release new powerbooks september/october. I know I might have to get a PC laptop if Apple doesn't come through, but what about you guys?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You honestly mean there isn't an Apple portable that would serve you?

You might "have to get" a PC laptop? There's just nothing from Apple that'll work for you, huh?

\
  • Reply 2 of 109
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

You honestly mean there isn't an Apple portable that would serve you?

You might "have to get" a PC laptop? There's just nothing from Apple that'll work for you, huh?

\

i don't think that's the point.

at least for me, when I am going to spend 3000 dollars or even 1000 dollars, I don't want to get a product soon to be replaced. I want to get the most bang for my buck. And yes, that means waiting if its a reasonable amount of time.

No one wants to buy a powerbook today for 3000 dollars and then in 2 weeks have a new one come out for the same or lower price
  • Reply 3 of 109
    I realize that. I don't either. I guess one person's "need" is another person's "want"?

Still, this is part of the game. Yes, it certainly sucks that there's this HUGE wait and gap. And that their flagship PowerBook (let's face it: the 15" IS the sweet model) has been allowed to 7 months now, lacking the obvious improvements sported by its little and big brother.

I feel for the guy. I just really get tired of hearing notions of jumping ship and leaving the platform altogether.

I don't care how much a particular piece of hardware may have lagged or whatever, the fact is it's the OS that makes it a Mac. And it's the OS that I love. And it's the OS that I would never abandon, because the Mac OS (particularly X, of course) running on a Lite-Brite would kick the hell out of some 3.2GHz box running...well, the other OS.

I just always look at people so eager to leave and jump ship as "well, you probably aren't that enamored of it anyway...". And my first inclination is to impart some variation of "don't let the door hit ya...".

To each his own, I guess.

As I stated in another thread, if someone TRULY "needs" (not WANTS, but needs...) a Mac laptop for school, couldn't they fine a $500 clamshell iBook or first-gen dual USB on eBay or something to hold them for a couple of months?

I don't know. I'm not in school, so I probably don't grasp the importance of it. Back in my day (OMG, I've never said that before...I'm officially an old fart!), the only notebook required for school was one that had a little metal spiral binder along the side of it.

Well, in any case. Good luck, recondite. Maybe Apple will surprise us and release something in the next few weeks?
  • Reply 4 of 109
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    If you want a 12", now is really a great time to buy. Apple not only took off $200 a few weeks back, but the other day hacked off another $100 for EDU buyers. So now you can buy a PB12 for $1399. I ordered mine hours ago (upped the RAM and added AirPort).
  • Reply 5 of 109
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I am on the lookout for a laptop, hopefully around the September sort of time. Now, whether or not there are new models out there is NO WAY I would even consider switching to a wintel laptop.

The hardware that MacOS runs on is not nearly one of the deciding facts that made me switch back to a mac. Its the OS all the way. If you need a laptop and can afford the crem-d-crem if/when they come out, then you should also be able to afford lapzilla now.

In fact, buy it now... spend the summer installing some sweet software to really show it off in September.

I am currently playing my tunes, compiling freeciv (fink rocks), I have MSN, iChat, mail, safari (obviously), sherlock, address book, iCal, and X11 running on my iMac 1Ghz. What else could you need from a laptop ?!?

Sometimes I really just don't understand where you come-from when you say "I might have to get a PC laptop". Do you feel that Apple's current lineup really is that bad ?

PS. I used to love freeciv in uni, of anyone fancies a game one sunday give me a shout on iChat (gargeh).
  • Reply 6 of 109
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow that new PBG4 12" price is awesome. I got lots of use out of mine already but now its price is RIDICULOUS. All you 15" criers just buy this NOW if you need a laptop. Get an external monitor for other stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Wow that new PBG4 12" price is awesome. I got lots of use out of mine already but now its price is RIDICULOUS. All you 15" criers just buy this NOW if you need a laptop. Get an external monitor for other stuff.

No L3 cache and you can't carry an external monitor around with you.
  • Reply 8 of 109
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Sometimes I really just don't understand where you come-from when you say "I might have to get a PC laptop". Do you feel that Apple's current lineup really is that bad ?

It's a really lame argument. Do people think PC laptops never get updated? Intel is releasing new chips all the time, and pc manufacturers are constantly revising their models. Any laptop you buy is going to be old news in a few months.

I decided yesterday I'm going to buy whatever Apple offers as a 15-inch PowerBook before the end of September, to take advantage of their $200 rebate on iPods. I'm still underwhelmed by the looks of the aluminum case, but if it does indeed have the new 7457 G4, I could live with it. The main upgrades I'm looking for (over my 667) are a little more oomph, a bigger hard drive and the SuperDrive. The advantage of getting another Ti is that I wouldn't lose my investment in extra batteries, RAM and cases!
  • Reply 9 of 109
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The 12" is the best laptop currently in existence IMO. L3, ATi, and more speed will just make it perfection. The Best gets Better. (didn't M$ say that? )

Bruno wait until you feel Aluminum. Aluminium.
  • Reply 10 of 109
    Does anyone really NEED the L3 cache? I never really noticed a difference on my Ti800 compared with the high-end iMac at the time. I mean, if you're doing Final Cut and Photoshop full-time, yeah, but everyday apps don't make much use of it, from what I can tell.

Also, if this is going to be your first laptop, ThinkDifferent, you might be surprised how much the width of the PB15 restricts casual, even room-to-room carrying. It's heavier, too. The beauty of the PB12 is that it's as small and compact as you ideally want it to be. Small screen, low power-usage when you are using it away from your desk, and as scalable as you want when attached to a monitor.

If you really want a laptop, just buy the PB12. $1399, folks. It's an effin' STEAL, as deserves reiteration. You're always going to find "flaws" if you look hard enough, and at $1399, the PB isn't the best machine in existence, but it's a damn fine one for the price. 3-D graphics power-uses shouldn't even be thinking about a laptop, anyway, with the G5 on the immediate horizon.

EDIT: Oops, I tagged the wrong person.
  • Reply 11 of 109
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Just say it like the british do, alu-min-ium and it sounds much cooler

I have the 12" and it rocks, the screen isn't too small unless you are trying to use it as a desktop all the time.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    LIFE'S PHILOSOPHY 103

If i knew that a new achitecture was coming out, and i was a student that "needed" a laptop, i'd hold out by borrowing something or renting something cheap till they came out. How much "need" vs " want" "desire". We are an instant gratification society ALL THINGS COME TO THOSE THAT WAIT. with a majority of purchases, impulse buying is what any company wants you to do, take control of yourself and be patient. you tell me you can't figure out something to tide you over till what you really want comes. remember you will lhave this longer than you have to wait for it. PATIENTS IS A VIRTUE. lIFE'S choices has life's conseguences, ok so you "take your fix now" 6 months or later how many will say "i should of could of would of....." come on chill out lower your impulse drives and cruise and take control. I'm looking for a minivan ( ok i'm cusrsed) so i set things up so that don't get a new car when my lexus lease is up, sell it, use my older car for 4-6 months and build my investemt-looking at sienna, quest and waiting till the odyssey is redesigned after jan 04. I don't want to say "i should of done this...." only becuase i couldn't wait a couple of months. Maybe don't think about it and do something else you'd be surprised

THE ZEN OF POWERBOOK WAITING.......OOOOOMMMMMMMOOOOOOOMMMMM
  • Reply 13 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

Does anyone really NEED the L3 cache? I never really noticed a difference on my Ti800 compared with the high-end iMac at the time. I mean, if you're doing Final Cut and Photoshop full-time, yeah, but everyday apps don't make much use of it, from what I can tell.

Also, if this is going to be your first laptop, ThinkDifferent, you might be surprised how much the width of the PB15 restricts casual, even room-to-room carrying. It's heavier, too. The beauty of the PB12 is that it's as small and compact as you ideally want it to be. Small screen, low power-usage when you are using it away from your desk, and as scalable as you want when attached to a monitor.

If you really want a laptop, just buy the PB12. $1399, folks. It's an effin' STEAL, as deserves reiteration. You're always going to find "flaws" if you look hard enough, and at $1399, the PB isn't the best machine in existence, but it's a damn fine one for the price. 3-D graphics power-uses shouldn't even be thinking about a laptop, anyway, with the G5 on the immediate horizon.

I have a iBook, and the reason I didn't get an PB was because of your reasons: lighter, easier to move, etc. the 12" PB wasn't out at the time. I agree with what you are saying, I was just pointing out why one would choose a 15 over a 12. The price really is great, but I think the next 15" PB will have an even more desirable price tag relative to the features.
  • Reply 14 of 109
    neurokidneurokid Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by recondite

If powerbooks don't come by september what are you guys gona do? I know alot of people on these forums are students, including my self, and are gona want to have their laptop *before* school starts. I dono im just really scared apple will be an ass and make all the students clear the channel then release new powerbooks september/october. I know I might have to get a PC laptop if Apple doesn't come through, but what about you guys?

The 15" 1GHz TiBooks are great machines that are currently selling for cheap cheap. You can take the savings and load it up with all the RAM you can give it. That's more than enough for a student's needs. Even if Apple does release new PBooks in October, they will only be incrementally better....you're not going to see a G5 TiBook in October.
  • Reply 15 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by recondite

I know I might have to get a PC laptop if Apple doesn't come through, but what about you guys?

If you can't find a portable that will suit your needs amongst the current range, then I can't see any future Apple products changing that. I use my 15" Ti for everyting from Dreamweaver to Final Cut Pro, and it is not lacking in any way. I dont know of a single PC laptop that even comes close. And that is before you throw OSX into the equation! What exactly is you want to do on a laptop? Perhaps a G5 would be more suited to your needs if you want 'serious' amounts of computer power.
  • Reply 16 of 109
    Thank you, musicaltone. That's exactly the kind of post I wanted to make in my first post in this thread, but my disbelief and sarcasm got in the way.

I hate how these G5 towers have apparently made many suddenly view the rest of Apple's line as sucking and "unworthy".

\

Meanwhile, I'm honestly not aware of ANYONE here needing some sort of massive G6-level performance in a notebook.

If you a) truly can't wait a bit more, b) can't get a cheap iBook to hold you over or c) can't do what you need to do on a current Apple offering then perhaps your future does indeed lie in a PC laptop of some sort? Have at it...there are TONS of choices out there.

I don't know what to say. Half of you would've sold your own Mother 6 months ago to own a 1GHz TiBook. Now, suddenly, you wouldn't touch one, even at their nicely reduced education prices?

It makes words like "need" and "must" and so forth ring a bit hollow. Because if you TRULY "needed" or "must have" a Mac laptop right away, you've got about seven nice choices.

Yes, you roll that dice that they will be replaced in 2-3 months time. But so what? We all do. Does it make it any less powerful or full-featured and cool? No, not at all.

If I "needed" a nice Apple laptop by, say, September, I'd simply buy a 12" PowerBook at that cool new education price of $1399 and leave everyone alone.

That's quite a machine, any way you cut it (ask Matsu). Get a nice flat 17" or 19" CRT to hook it to in the dorm or apartment and know that you got a bitchin' little G4 aluminum laptop for less than a 14" G3 iBook!

I know full well, going in, that I'll get this (hopefully) 7457 PowerBook in September or whatever, realizing that a G5 PowerBook might come in March or April of 2004. Hell, even sooner (MWSF?). Doesn't mean I'm suddenly useless and somehow can't boot the thing and do work.

Same with this situation.

Either get a machine you've would've killed for only months ago or buy a honkin' PC laptop with all the numbers, bells and whistles that rev your motor, if you think that's truly going to give you want you need.

I wish the PowerBooks would get here too, BELIEVE me. But damn, people...

• Reply 17 of 109
    Even when new 'Books come out, you can bet the 12" will be right back up to the $1799 spot with minimal improvements, with "used" models going for $1399 (add EDU pricing to this and you'll get, maybe, $100 off -- they have to have SOME kind of margin). So you're getting a better deal now any way you slice it.

Sure, some can argue the merits of a smaller, cooler processor, but the 12" isn't nearly as hot, noisy, or battery-sucking as its 15" Titanium brethren (so I'm told). And no, Paul, this isn't "another one of those Sure... statements."
  • Reply 18 of 109
    neurokidneurokid Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

Does anyone really NEED the L3 cache?

IMO, L3 cache makes a huge real-world difference in performance. It's the only reason why I won't buy a 12" TiBook, eMac or iMac right now. But as processor speeds ramp up, this won't be as much of an issue.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hey I'm an old guy too. This is one case though where I can see both sides of the argument clearly.

First; the intel world hase recently made significant hardware advances, so it is reasonable to consdiere Wintel hardware for the portable market that student usage represents. At one time it would have been foolish for for student users to consider Intel hardware.

SEcond; I would imaigne that this student does not want be spending alot of his hard earned educational funds on another laptop purchase for the following school year. Given that each new model offer a new complement of features at a better price, it is money well spent on new hardware. Especially if the intent is to keep the laptop for four years.

Third; Since we don't have a clue as to what technology will be included in the new machines it does cause one to think long and hard about rushing purchases. It is completely possible that the upgrades will be significant and if kept in the same price range would represent a spectactular deal. Apple really has no reason not to pull out the stops and provide the market with a much faster machine, the only hold back of course being Motorola. They in fact have to do something as there is now competition from intel based machines.

Fourth; I can see all sorts for reason for going the low end or used route also. The most obvious reason is to reduce the chance of disappearance of the machine, the shinny and new do attrack the wrong element. You always have the issue of what upgrades/repairs will be needed or required. I'm also of the opinion that used laptops do not represent good value as the manitenance costs are high.

Fifth; while it is true that the operating system is a key element in the selection of a laptop and thus our interests in PowerBooks, one has to realize that hardware is also important. Something as simple as a slightly better implementation of wireless can make a huge differrence to the average college student. The complement of ports can make a difference to engineering students and those in creative fields. The operating system is not everything, being able to integrate into your environment is. One should not compromise his hardware needs to run a specific opearting system. (Yes I know that in some cases just the opposite applies, but I'm assuming that excellent wireless is a college students friend)

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I realize that. I don't either. I guess one person's "need" is another person's "want"?

Still, this is part of the game. Yes, it certainly sucks that there's this HUGE wait and gap. And that their flagship PowerBook (let's face it: the 15" IS the sweet model) has been allowed to 7 months now, lacking the obvious improvements sported by its little and big brother.

I feel for the guy. I just really get tired of hearing notions of jumping ship and leaving the platform altogether.

I don't care how much a particular piece of hardware may have lagged or whatever, the fact is it's the OS that makes it a Mac. And it's the OS that I love. And it's the OS that I would never abandon, because the Mac OS (particularly X, of course) running on a Lite-Brite would kick the hell out of some 3.2GHz box running...well, the other OS.

I just always look at people so eager to leave and jump ship as "well, you probably aren't that enamored of it anyway...". And my first inclination is to impart some variation of "don't let the door hit ya...".

To each his own, I guess.

As I stated in another thread, if someone TRULY "needs" (not WANTS, but needs...) a Mac laptop for school, couldn't they fine a $500 clamshell iBook or first-gen dual USB on eBay or something to hold them for a couple of months?

I don't know. I'm not in school, so I probably don't grasp the importance of it. Back in my day (OMG, I've never said that before...I'm officially an old fart!), the only notebook required for school was one that had a little metal spiral binder along the side of it.

Well, in any case. Good luck, recondite. Maybe Apple will surprise us and release something in the next few weeks?

• Reply 20 of 109
    USB, Ethernet, AirPort, FireWire, 56k modem, Bluetooth.

What's the missing element or "connection to the environment" you speak of?

What is any new Mac going to have, connection-wise, that a current one doesn't? AirPort Really Extreme? BluetoothUltra? ExtraGigaGigaEthernet?

I don't get that portion of your post. But the others sound good.

I'm just glad I'm not a student and don't feel the "clock is ticking". I've got the luxury of being able to "wait it out" with no real penalty.

Perhaps I'm too detached from the urgency of the situation. Wouldn't be the first time.

Although, let's get serious: do we REALLY think there's going to be such a monumental leap in features, I/O, performance, connectivity options, etc. in these new PowerBooks compared to the current models? Unless the line is somehow actually slated to go to 1.4-plusGHZ G5 (and all that it entails, along with some as-yet-unknown connection/networking or I/O technology), I'd have to say "no".

THAT would be a very good reason for wait and concern, because - like the G4 to the G5 - we'd actually be talking a whole new, radically redesigned beast.

I'd agree in that scenario.

I think, in all reality, we're talking a bit of a speed bump, slightly larger cache/bus and maybe some extra battery life. I don't think any 7457-based PowerBook is going to come out and bonk us over the head with any MAJOR upgrade/improvement. Subtle, under-the-hood stuff for the most part, I'd imagine. Their aluminum models aren't even 8 months old, so I can't imagine too much of a radical, massive redesign, you know?

Maybe next year (or whenever G5s make it to the line) we can more realistically debate how much, overall, the PowerBook will change. But this next round? It'll probably just be slightly faster, cooler-running versions of what exists.