Apple Consumer Electronics???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, citing the popularity and success of the iPod, can anyone foresee Apple begining an all Consumer Electronics line of products?

Obviously the success of the iPod across both Mac and PC platforms is a testiment that Apple can appeal to large market if they want to.

What do you see as a possible product lineup?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I see a web camera and silence.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    apple only makes a product if it hasn't been done right

mp3 players = suX0rz so the iPod came out

Premiere = suX0rz so FCP came out

Windows 2000/ME = suX0rz so OS X (ok this isn't really tru but its fun)

web cams were horrible so apple came out with one

iSight should be made for PC as soon as possible though, i mean make it USB 2.0 (apple should be able to easily since they have experience with the iPod) and i'm sure it would sell well (relatively to how webcams sell...i can't imagine its well)
  • Reply 3 of 21
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    I was told by one of the folks at the Apple Store that the iSight works just fine with Yahoo Messenger on Windows.

The question is, does the iSight need more power from the line then USB provides? I can't imagine it would, but you'd never know.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    AFAIK if they did it on USB they'd have to provide drivers - there's no such thing as a "standard" USB camera. With FireWire, on the other hand, there is.

I don't really think that Apple cares about making the camera work for Windows though. They did it according to standards because that was easiest for them, so it does work under Windows, but really iChat AV is part of the Apple experience.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    There is still the matter of Home MP3 playback. This market is in worse shape than the MP3 players pre Ipod.

You basically have cheap option like the Turtle Beach Audiotron and then you have overpriced offerings from plenty of companies. There seems to be a weak middle ground.

Consumers are simply looking for a MP3 Server that will allow the whole house to access the large pool of music whether it be Wired or Wireless. No company has made that easy at all.

Apple won't do it but DVRs are the equivalent for Video. To be able to Timeshift and other functions with Tivo and Replay is a Godsend for those who have $80 cable bills yet never find the time to find the right shows. Apple would be stellar in this market but they choose to cooperate with tivo instead.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to port iChat AV to the PC and sell it with iSight.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Apple in the kitchen. I thought this weekend it would be great to have access to massive recipe databases in the kitchen. Maybe build it into a fridge. A rugged, waterproof tablet would do the trick too.

• Reply 8 of 21
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple doesn't only make products if they haven't been "done riht" so to speak. They make them if they see that they can make a lot of money at them.

Cell phones? Being given away, no money, unless you're also tied to the sevice end, complicated and messy, forget it.

Consumer electronics. Camcorders, PVR's, TV's, digital still cameras. Lotsa money, but also lotsa competition. IF Apple goes there, look fo rhtem to wade intot he fray cautiously, and to have a strategy mounted to back it up. ie, iPod plus iTMS.

iMovie, plus QT, plus rendesvous, plus iCal, plus a possible PVR type software/firewire TV peripheral? Mebbe. Imagine broadcasting MPEG4 based home movies to friends? OR a software (plus firewire breakout) package that lets your iMac become a PVR. iCal lets you program your shows, and the software just records at the right time, or you might use .mac to access "play lists/guides" that automatically list all the shows you want. Perhaps your DVD burning can even be automated. You leave a blank DVD in there and when the show is recorded, the DVD is burnt and the HD file erased. Almost no HW costs, just a software package and a breakout box. OR, an QTMS (Quick Time Movie Store) and a standalone (mac syncing) PVR. Airport tells the PVR what you want to order and it goes to it DL'ing the (MPEG4) file as time, bandwidth permits. It's encrypted, but you get a very high quality file, that you can watch, or pay to make it "free" to burn to DVD. "Rent" or "Buy" and watch at your leisure all without leaving your home. We still need more bandwidth at better prices before that becomes feasible, but even now a broadband user could order the movies the night before and have them ready to watch the next day.

What we will see, once good HDTV sets become a reality, is the return of the console/computer, like a box that uses HDTV as a "monitor" 1920x1080p is enough to make text/data display comfortable on a big screen. The living room computer, basically, is waiting on TV technology to permeate the market, then numerous set-top functions will migrate to real computers that just happen to be able to drive a monitor as well as a TV. Mebbe in 4-5 years.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Matsu...

i like the sound of your post!

the waiting game kills me on all this good stuff!

we want this now apple!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    It seems to me that IF Apple will release another consumer electronic device then it'll be closely linked to one of their iApps. iPod - iTunes, iSight - iChat.

In these fields I think Apple has seen a gap in the market and filled it by putting out really well designed products. In the rest of Apple's applications I don't think there are any major hardware gaps.

iPhoto - There's loads of digital camera's out

iMovie - ditto

iDVD - The hardware is already there

I think if another piece of hardware is coming Apple would give us the software first, the product HAS to be tightly intergrated with macs.

Eg if an Apple branded phone was coming Apple would put out a piece of internet telephony software first then later bring out the hardware to work with it.

This is just my train of thought anyway. I don't expect anything soon. I mean even the iPod wasn't a huge leap away from Apple's experience, it puts a hard drive in a cool box with a bit of software to run in, the rest is pretty much sewn up.

Still Apple is a hardware company and thy're always surprising us.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

iSight should be made for PC as soon as possible though, i mean make it USB 2.0 (apple should be able to easily since they have experience with the iPod) and i'm sure it would sell well (relatively to how webcams sell...i can't imagine its well)

If they do this they should leave it FireWire. Much better for this application than USB. For wintel just add a FW card to the box.

A couple of years ago when I bought a scanner they included a SCSCI card for wintel users. The OEM cost of a FW card has to be rather low now.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

If they do this they should leave it FireWire. Much better for this application than USB. For wintel just add a FW card to the box.

A couple of years ago when I bought a scanner they included a SCSCI card for wintel users. The OEM cost of a FW card has to be rather low now.

The cards cost about $20 retail. So worst case scenario if Apple wanted to do this is that they add $20 to the price of an iSight and put it in a bigger box?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Or they could just leave the box as it is and do the same as the new iPod box.

PC Requirements

Firewire Port or Windows certified FireWire card.

Windows XP (*)

* = why not, every other version of windows should be deleted by now.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I used to say "hell with Windows users. Don't give 'em any of the cool Apple stuff. If you want it, get a Mac."

I now know that Apple really can never get above maybe 5% so Apple should just reap in the money on Windows users and give them the good stuff as well.

The compters themselves and the OS are the exception to this, of course.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Alright then I guess I have to say it. Apple needs a PDA.

[Fantasy mode] Screw the fact of low margins and lots of competition. We could have a G3 based PDA running Darwin and "Aqua Lite." Maybe a 480x320 display, 32 Megs of RAM an IBM microdrive @ 500 megs, and bluetooth. I would be cool. [/fantasy mode]

I know it will never happen, but I can dream.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Somewhere else I posted about a device like that but a tad bigger. A small, thin tablet that runs OS X (maybe minus a few of the more exotic things like Apache and server capabilities) and equipped with an IR interface and WiFi and a writable screen with a stylus.

Since it is OS X you don't have to learn a new OS. It is your same old, familiar OS X. You could run your same familiar apps (Safari, Mail, Tex-Edit Plus, FMP, iTunes, etc.).

The IR interface would let it serve as a universal remote. Now you can sit on the couch and control your DVD player, TV, cable box and stereo while surfing the net. Check the schedules on TVGUIDE.COM then when you find the movie log in to IMDB.com to see what everyone else says about the movie and maybe add your own comments.

If you're hungry you can log in to the pizza parlor and order a pizza online for delivery.

While watching you could also engage in online chats with your friends. Maybe even video chats with iSight.

Seems like every home needs several.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

The IR interface would let it serve as a universal remote. Now you can sit on the couch and control your DVD player, TV, cable box and stereo while surfing the net. Check the schedules on TVGUIDE.COM then when you find the movie log in to IMDB.com to see what everyone else says about the movie and maybe add your own comments.

If you're hungry you can log in to the pizza parlor and order a pizza online for delivery.

While watching you could also engage in online chats with your friends. Maybe even video chats with iSight.

Seems like every home needs several.

Sounds like a slobs paradise!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    but somthing like that would require me to watch this "radio w/ pictures" thingy that everyone at school is always talking about
  • Reply 19 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Apple COULD sell their monitors to everyone. But they insist on using that cruddy proprietary ADC connector instead of DVI, therefore removing most people interested in buying a monitor from the Studio and Cinema displays' market.

Yeah, I think Apple could sell the iSight to Windows users, and port iChat AV to Windows... but I don't think they will. Why not? Because. That's the best explanation I have for them not making DVI versions of their displays to sell to non-PowerMac users. Just because.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Apple COULD sell their monitors to everyone. But they insist on using that cruddy proprietary ADC connector instead of DVI, therefore removing most people interested in buying a monitor from the Studio and Cinema displays' market.

Yeah, I think Apple could sell the iSight to Windows users, and port iChat AV to Windows... but I don't think they will. Why not? Because. That's the best explanation I have for them not making DVI versions of their displays to sell to non-PowerMac users. Just because.

ADC is DVI, except the connector also includes power and USB. PC manufactures could use it. The standard is open, but the industry and video card manufactures are too close minded to embrace it. I guess they like having inferior technology and lots of cables.