PowerBook G4 12": buy or to not buy?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I'm buying one today to replace my Dual USB iBook 500.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    I faced a similar debate with myself a coupla of weeks ago. It was around the time of the WWDC. After the WWDC I decided just to go for it and order the 12". The trouble is with computers there's always a new and better model right around the corner.

The 12" PB has all I need, I decided to pay out extra for the SuperDrive and Airport extreme. The SuperDrive works great, you even get a blank DVD-R with the computer. I don't think initally i'll get a lot of use out of it but you never know in the future what you'll be doing.

The case does tend to get fairly hot. It's bearable (just) and an annoyance but it's the only thing about the laptop I don't love. I suppose the heat is about the same as my iMac got at the top, but i'm only noticing it because my hand is on top of the heat. Oh well, you can't have it all.

Built-in bluetooth is great. It's simple and in the best of Apple traditions, just works no questions asked.

In short, you can wait for ages for the next upgrade to a computer in the end you've just got to say I want it and go and get it. Accept that you will get left behind as soon as you buy that computer because that's the way it is.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TAZ

Heck, my 400 TiBk lasted 3 years now maybe 4 and still works.

Mmm...try less than 2.5 years. The TiBook was introed in January '01, and you couldn't get your hands on one for another couple of months.