Language Purity

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I can only imagine that the development of the OED scared the Victorians half to death.

Does that mean they're only half dead like Eric the Half bee ?
  • Reply 22 of 35
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    how about partner?

less stilted than significant other, implies team planning, gender neutral...
  • Reply 23 of 35
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    "Betrothed" reminds me of Toni Morrison's Beloved and that's just depressing. Also it sounds like there is an intimation of dowry and/or arrangement, so I'm not much down with "betrothed".

I will undoubtedly be stuck with "fiancée".

Ah well, enlightening discussion re: language purity anyway.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    You could, e.g., get on with it, and call her "wife."
  • Reply 25 of 35
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

"Betrothed" reminds me of Toni Morrison's Beloved and that's just depressing. Also it sounds like there is an intimation of dowry and/or arrangement, so I'm not much down with "betrothed".

I will undoubtedly be stuck with "fiancée".

Ah well, enlightening discussion re: language purity anyway.

I seriously suggest butt buddy.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I seriously suggest butt buddy.

Only if you catch.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Only if you catch.

No no no no no no no. Butt buddy the term you use with your fiancee. I am not involved in any buttfoolery.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

how about partner?

less stilted than significant other, implies team planning, gender neutral...

My girlfriend (of five years) prefers partner. I don't mind it but I still prefer girlfriend. Although using "partner" can be fun when talking to people that don't know you cos' they'll think your big Mo and they'll suddenly start trying to use politically terms for everything possible. Ha. Person-hole cover.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Something simpler, like Immortal Beloved? Or maybe: Not Denise Richards.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Butt Buddy..is so insensitve...

How about donut puncher...

or pillow biter...

bike ramp....

grease monkey...

or worst of all..Gym slip...
  • Reply 31 of 35
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

butt buddy

unnecessary.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Par for the BR course, Jon.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

While dating I always found the word "girlfriend" to describe her inadequate.

Try using language as a less egocentric tool. The word you're looking for isn't something YOU need, it's something the person you're speaking to needs.

So, when talking to your grandfather, she can be your 'intended' if that's the word he understands. If you're talking to some loser on the street, 'girlfriend' is probably the best you can do. When talking to her, maybe 'fiancée' is the correct word to use.

Language is 100% fluid and malleable. It's like Plato's cave. 'Things' in this world have a perfect form somewhere, but never in language. The word you use will never work in all cases at all times. That's because whatever you're trying to describe doesn't exist as a word and words do not equate exactly to the real world.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    "hi this is my breeding partner..."

"hi this is the one I copulate"

"this is my receiver"

"this is my spawning ground"

"this is my valley"

"i'm her island..."
  • Reply 35 of 35
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member

Some good ones up thar ^^

Groverat, I am in the same boat as yourself. I too have been with the same woman for about 4 years now, and fully suspect marriage is in the cards. However, in the meantime I always want for a better way to describe our relationship (in a word I mean, maybe two).

On the one hand, fiancée makes people wonder "well, if you're engaged where's her ring?" It feels like I'm telling a half-truth even though I intend to marry this wonder-chic. On the other "girlfriend" sounds too sophomoric or otherwise smacks of to "this is the flavor of the Summer; there will be a new wo-man sitting next to me by Thanksgiving". Not to mention, when I see people in their 40's let say, who have been dating a while, and they refer to their partner as "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" it just seems so... juvenile. I'm in my 30's but you get the idea.

FUBAR, this business of describing your lady and her place (or lack thereof) in your future. Here's what I've been able to come up with meantime:

Better Half

This works well, and the implication works, but many people take it to mean you're already married. And the lack of rings on your fingers doesn't mean anything since many married folk don't wear them. Damn people...messing up my phrases.

Soul Mate

True, but it sounds hokey. Like you just walked off the set of Oprah and are declaring to the world that you have "found her" and are drifting in ethereal bliss.

Cosmic Twin

This one works well on some occassions but there's a little bit of humor / sarcasm in there and those damn people (!) who think it could just be your "best friend" throw you off.

my chic

Only works with really close friends who already know the extent of your relationship, in which case STFU about yer relationship already and pass the beer and chips!

So my conclusion is, you must mix words AND action Groverat. You must add the all-powerful PDA. So for instance if I do this:

"This is my better half..." and then grab her and play tongue-hockey for 1 or 2 seconds... people will IMMEDIATELY know that we cannot possibly be married, but that it is indeed a most serious relationship.

or

"This is my cosmic twin..." and then do the same spit-swapping routine... people will again know immediately that you must surely be more than best friends.

So in the end, actions speak louder than words. You're just going to have to lay [one] on 'er every time you introduce her. I'm afraid it's the only way.