Why is the Apple logo always covered up in movies?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why is that? In every movie and commercial I've seen lately, that features a Mac, the Apple logo is covered up by something? Is it a trademark thing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    They didn't in Gold Member!

? I, uh? caught it on TV while my sister was watching it?

They don't do it on Six Feet Under or Made in Canada, either. I noticed they do that only in select shows, movies, commercials. I don't know why.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    If Apple did not provide official use of the computer and receive compensation then the movie company doesn't deem it necessary to give them free publicity by showing the logo. This is common practice for any product. Many films do have the logo featured.... they paid Apple for the privilege. Even some tv shows have. It's just a matter of the circumstances.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

If Apple did not provide official use of the computer and receive compensation then the movie company doesn't deem it necessary to give them free publicity by showing the logo. This is common practice for any product. Many films do have the logo featured.... they paid Apple for the privilege. Even some tv shows have. It's just a matter of the circumstances.

Ummm, not exactly. Apple has a very aggressive product placement program but does not pay studios for placement. That is, they will loan Macs to studios for use in filming but will not pay for placement as is the norm. Movie studios and television studios both get advertising revenues for product placement.

Since Apple does not pay for placement, some studio exec will often realize that they are essentially giving Apple expensive advertising in exchange for a loaner, so s/he will insist that the logo be covered until Apple pays for the placement.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Many films do have the logo featured.... they paid Apple for the privilege.

They paid Apple? Menothinkso.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Geez, I got it all backwards! Anyway, the logo is seen in many films.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Ummm, not exactly. Apple has a very aggressive product placement program but does not pay studios for placement. That is, they will loan Macs to studios for use in filming but will not pay for placement as is the norm. Movie studios and television studios both get advertising revenues for product placement.

Since Apple does not pay for placement, some studio exec will often realize that they are essentially giving Apple expensive advertising in exchange for a loaner, so s/he will insist that the logo be covered until Apple pays for the placement.

If only Apple agreed to pay me to use a PB.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    set directors love apples.

i've never seen one with the logo covered up in a movie.

i've seen print ads where the logo is photoshopped out.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

set directors love apples.

i've never seen one with the logo covered up in a movie.

i've seen print ads where the logo is photoshopped out.

Check out Mission Impossible 2 if you want to see a PowerBook with a covered up logo.

Or any of the early Buffy episodes. Willow has a PowerBook with a star sticker over the Apple logo.

On a side note, Felicity was great for Apple publicity since one of its characters (Noel Crane) was an AI-type Apple freak.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i know on Home Improvemtn they just put a little Orange logo over the Apple logo on the powerbook. funny.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    I've seen a lot of shows that show and hide Apple stuff. Most recently, Final Destination 2 prominately featured Apple machines.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Final Destination 2: A RIFT IN DEATH'S DESIGN! omg wtf bbq
  • Reply 12 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It's not a movie, but Stargate SG1 uses Pismo Powerbooks all the time and 1/2 the time the logo is covered. Guess it depends on the director.

Oh, and "Independence Day" has some close-up shots of a Powerbook screen with logo.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Sadly, The Hulk smashed a perfectly good 23" Cinema Display, if my memory serves me.

I want that display! (not the broken one, of course!).

Blueflame
  • Reply 14 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    TiBook with plain taped-shut logo in Friends. \
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Drew Carey used a 12" iBook on his show last night with the logo whited out by a circular sticker or something. I still know it's an iBook, though.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Drew Carey is an Apple freak too. Or someone there is... the office set is full of LCD iMacs. And he uses a 14 inch iBook at home... weirdly the logo is covered up on it.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Or any of the early Buffy episodes. Willow has a PowerBook with a star sticker over the Apple logo.

Luckily they've gotten past that: all the recent eps I can remember features lovely glowing white Apples.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    You'll notice the same thing in rap videos and such... If they are not paid by the company they will blur out the logos on clothing, hats, etc... I always assumed that the reasoning was that the said clothing was obscene but later learned that it was just not paid for
  • Reply 19 of 24
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Drew Carey is an Apple freak too. Or someone there is... the office set is full of LCD iMacs. And he uses a 14 inch iBook at home... weirdly the logo is covered up on it.

they've gone through a lot of apple gear on the drew carey show. mimi had a imac when it was new, and they've kept most of the visible office comps reasonably up-to-date with apple's line (in the eps i've seen).
  • Reply 20 of 24
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Oh, and "Independence Day" has some close-up shots of a Powerbook screen with logo.

Apple built an ad campaign around that one, for those who remember it. Something about there only being one laptop to choose when you need to save the world.

My favorite scene in "Legally Blonde" was where Reese Witherspoon opened up her tangerine iBook and it sat there gleaming in a classroom full of dull PC laptops. Apple themselves couldn't have scripted a better ad.