G5 - Free Panther Upgrade?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    andrewmandrewm Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

I want the new G5 ships with a Panther software/restore CD rather than a 10.2.7 software/restore CD... then a Panther CD for $29..

If you have to pay for a $29 upgrade, it's not such a bad thing. As of 10.1, Apple employs a command-line utility--'CheckForOSX,' or some such--that, if removed from a duplicated first install disc, changes the installation to a full one. This assumes, of course, that they won't have changed this in Panther.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    G5 version of panther should be on DVD, G4-G3 version should be cd's.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

How will Apple go about seperating G5 Panther from G3/4 panther when it is sold? Or will there be one install disc (or disk set) that automatically detects whether the machine is G5 or otherwise, and then installs accordingly?

Why would they need to do that?

Apple has never done that in the past, the biggest advantage of Macs in a corporate environment is after all universal system folders.

Barto
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Why would they need to do that?

Apple has never done that in the past, the biggest advantage of Macs in a corporate environment is after all universal system folders.

Barto

Despite 10.2.7 'Smeagol' being tweaked for the G5's the aforementioned separation into different distributions (DVD for G5 and CD for G3/G4) might make more sense in light of Apple's lack of a DVD drive on some older machines.

Perhaps then Apple should sell Panther (for all computers) by default on DVD, but with the option to alternatively order a set of CD's for older machines.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewm

Should Apple perhaps then sell Panther (for all computers) by default on DVD, but with the option to alternatively order a set of CD's for older machines.

I hope they do as with iLife; Include one DVD as well as CD's in the same box. Only offering an install set with 3 CD's is ridiculous when the majority has a DVD drive...
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I don't think that the upgrade should be free, but I definately think that it should be reduced to about $29 or so. Look, the person just spend $2,000+ on a new computer, and the OS on that computer will soon be outdated.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by va1entino

I don't think that the upgrade should be free, but I definately think that it should be reduced to about $29 or so. Look, the person just spend $2,000+ on a new computer, and the OS on that computer will soon be outdated.

He knows that Panther is coming, and he can choose to wait until the release date is announced before buying the G5.