What you don't miss, as a modern Mac user...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I miss ... the Apple Extended Keyboard.

According to one site, "the best keyboard Apple ever made" lives again.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Holy crappers, that's expensive!

But it does look sturdy...
  • Reply 23 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I agree with Leonis about the Rainbow Apple and Beige. Beige=ugly. I would have liked the Rainbow apple if it were a bit more subtle.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    1) Ethernet cable [3 out of 4 of my Macs at home are Wi-Fi]

2) Standard RAM module. [imagine trying to find a pair of Mac-friendly RAM module back in 1996]

3) obviously... bigger screen and CRT... [from 832x624 14" to 1280x1024 17"]

4) VGA port. [I prefer ADC]

5) Beige. [Is that a color?]

6) I save the best for last... Floppy drive

I kind of like the rainbow Apple logo.. on my PowerMac 6100/60AV, StyleWriter 1200, and MultiScan display.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    - SCSI (HOW many different versions were there?)

- Chooser (Man, as a Windows switcher, I NEVER got this odd little program/control panel/network browser/printer selector)

- Crashing over and over and over and over.....

- Thursby's Dave (whenever I had to access Windows boxes)

- Memory control panel (hey, how much RAM should I give Photoshop? Whoops! Not enough!)

- Being laughed at by PC weenies at work because I used a Mac (those same PC weenies now own PowerBooks and PowerMacs and are constantly telling me how much they love the Unix-y goodness of OS X)

And, number 1 with a bullet...

- EXTENSION CONFLICTS (and the hours spent rebooting under Conflict Catcher)
  • Reply 26 of 33
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I don't miss my external 2400 modem.

I don't miss MS Word 6

I don't miss the Clone Wars.

I don't miss OpenDoc

I don't miss Star Trek (You know the FIRST Mac-on-Intel)

And I don't miss All non-Steve Apple CEOs
  • Reply 27 of 33
    I have to admit that I sometimes think fondly of the time I spent messing about with extension conflicts. Apparently I am the only one.\

I truly hated the manual memory thingy.

The chooser was a massive pain in the ass. My printer rarely showed up and I hated trying to get it do work.

I miss the stupid map jigsaw puzzle.

And finally, for some reason I miss Platinum sounds.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Ahahah, the CD caddie.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    game paddles and the acoustic modem from the Apple IIe

having to reseat the CPU of the IIfx when it worked its way loose after an hour of heating up

scraped knuckles trying to install RAM

cleaning trackballs on the early Powerbooks (100, 170, etc)

cheap SCSI cables (the root of much unterminated evil)

44Mb SyQuest drives (still got a few cartridges around somewhere)
  • Reply 30 of 33
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    Kinda miss resedit for it's simplicity... kinda wondering why I'd ever need it again though

Miss getting excited about new machines that I new would come out (Moto) basically (rola) when they were supposed to - PowerMac 8500 with a SCREAMING 120-130 mhz processor

Don't miss the sound of my Zip disk scratching away as it pieced together this or that file. (love my iPod on firewire!)8)
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Black and white.

I need colour.

Millions of colours.

flick.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Don't Miss:

? CD Caddy: What was the point? How hard to make is a CD tray? Impossible to quickly put another CD in, made the elegant CD look like a floppy disk.

? Floppy disks: GGGGGrrrrrrrrr. How annoying. You could barely get anything on them and it was the only way to get stuff off my IIci and onto my iMac with an external USB drive. Slow, easy to corrupt. Ugh

? SCSI: Jumper settings, reboots, big fat inflexible cables.

? Beige: Yeah me too, and how about the way the beige colouring goes funny on old Macs?

?Memory management: 'This Application does not have enough memory' OK. Save, quit, find the program, get info, change allocation, open it up again.

? Desktop pictures based around small patterns.

Miss:

?Quick Startups: I remember at school they had an old network of Mac Pluses and this was in the iAge and I turned them all on and most had finished starting up before i'd finished turning the last one's on.

?The Happy Mac: It was a nice thing to see when turning on the computer, reminded you that this is a Mac and why Macs are better.

?Moof!

? Having a power key on the keyboard, which if pressed while the computer was on would ask if you if you wanted to shut down, etc.

?A Proper Apple Menu, it's OK in OS X but it's just not the same.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Don't miss:

SCSI, bomb "dialogs", manual memory allocations, extensions conflicts and other you-know-what-used-to-drive-you-mad things.

Miss:

the same. Because those were the things that made me look a Mac guru.

Seriously, the only gadget I miss is the power key on a keyboard. </Sigh> Long live USB!