So I have an interview with Apple.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Just thought I'd resurrect this thread I started to post a final update for anyone interested.

The interview went well--really well, I thought. Last Monday, I met with the two managers who have been hired to work in the Apple Store coming to the Short Pump Town Center, opening September 4. The night before, the recruiter sent me (and, presumably, the other 29 people who were tapped for interviews) some pointers to keep in mind--very helpful stuff.

At the end of the interview, Ferdinand and Isabella (not their real names) said they had interviews scheduled for three days. They were to meet last Thursday to make their choices. They'd start calling people last Friday and by the following Monday, all of the applicants would know their fates.

So Friday passed without a call. \

Monday passed without a call.

Monday night (last night) I shot an e-mail off to the recruiter. I figured she'd be kind of out of the loop since her job was just to narrow the field down to 30 applicants, but I thought it might be worth a shot.

No reply as of this morning, so this afternoon I called her. Once again, she was really helpful. She said she'd track down the managers and either she or one of them would call me back.

Not long after I got off the phone, I got an e-mail from Isabella essentially saying thanks for playing. I got a job rejection via e-mail, which irks me.

I don't want to drag these people through the mud, which is why I didn't use their real names, but I feel compelled to tell everyone that prior to being hired by Apple (which happened relatively recently) Ferdinand and Isabella worked for The Gap and Ann Taylor, respectively. I impressed the recruiter, who has been working for Apple for a while, and apparently I didn't impress the two managers, who previously sold trendy clothes in shopping malls.

I give up.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I guess that's a good point. I was in an ann taylor this weekend and now that you mention it the apple store and ann taylor look alike.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread I started to post a final update I didn't impress the two managers, who previously sold trendy clothes in shopping malls.

I give up.

Screw em' Apply again in a few months chances are those dorks will have been replaced by new dorks.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

Screw em' Apply again in a few months chances are those dorks will have been replaced by new dorks.

well, that's one of the problems with trying to get a job at an Apple store... they have a redicuously high retention rate.

probably becasue they string people on so long before hiring them, they refuse to quit. hahah.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

well, that's one of the problems with trying to get a job at an Apple store... they have a redicuously high retention rate.

probably becasue they string people on so long before hiring them, they refuse to quit. hahah.

i'm not so sure, i subscribe to the job listings for ther SOHO store and the emeryville store and over the last few months MANY openings have come at both stores for a wide range of jobs.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i'm not so sure, i subscribe to the job listings for ther SOHO store and the emeryville store and over the last few months MANY openings have come at both stores for a wide range of jobs.

yeah, i do to. i see a lot of job openings as well. but i'm thoroughly convinced they don't actually exist.

in reality, most of those job openings are from people shifting positions.

i've recently concluded my own interview battle. i've had FIVE interviews with Apple (two phone interviews and three in-person).

still waiting to hear back...
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

i've recently concluded my own interview battle. i've had FIVE interviews with Apple (two phone interviews and three in-person).

At least you got that far. When the first Apple Store in Dallas opened a couple of years ago (Willow Bend in Plano), I sent in resumes via the Apple job site as well as Monster.com (I even went so far as to go to an Apple employee friend to get me in the door), but never even heard back from anyone, much less get an actual interview. Didn't think I was THAT unqualified.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I applied for four postions at the store coming here once I saw them on the Apple Jobs listings pages, but I didn't hear anything from Apple until after I sent an e-mail to [email protected] (not [email protected], although that might work too!) and asked when the interviews would start. Soon after, I got a call from a woman who recruits prospective employees for retail positions. She had seen my résumé and online application, and she wanted to set up a time to interview me over the phone. After that, everything fell into place pretty quickly.