Conference Call, New Hardware/Software Announcments, AAPL's Future

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    you dont make a peripheral connection interface an advantage of highe end and expensive machines. you want firewire 2 to gain support and devices.... restricting it to the highest end and most expensive machines is doing nothing but killing any hope for its success

stupid
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Oh, I get it now, the "long" in "long AAPL" was for your stock position, not the length of your post Seriously, I do like how you explained the important connection between the stock price and vitality of the company in general. During the tech. recession I wasnt worried much about the stock price. But if it doesnt go up with the economy, then I'll worry.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    [quote] "Author," "Analyst," and "Keynote" <hr></blockquote>

Interesting ideas for Office-killer app names.....
  • Reply 24 of 32
    [quote] What?s unfortunate about AAPL?s depressed stock price is with $12.50 in cash their company is a bargain and could be an easy target of an LBO or other acquisition by a company that doesn?t share the same passion for Apple?s products as Apple?s current management has and would rather just sell its parts for cash.

<hr></blockquote>

I've heard several times before that there were enough "poison pill" measures in place to make Apple rather unpallatable to digest.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I want Anders to have my baby. Well, if Anders is a girl. If she's a guy.. well, if he's a guy, we can have buttsex and adopt. That's how much I love his replies!!

Most of the original poster's predictions are obviously pulled out of his/her arse. Makes for a nice read, but half of it would never happen. Much less tomorrow, if it ever did.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by RolandG:

<strong>

I think it is wrong to abandon ADC. Apple is about making computing simple and that is what ADC is for. One cable looks better, too. Maybe Apple should include the DVI/USB-to-ADC-adapter with each display.</strong><hr></blockquote>

To paraphrase Albert Einstien, things should be as simple as possible and no simpler. ADC means that the power, USB and video signals are locked up in one cable. USB isn't so bad, power is as there is no way any computer can power more than one monitor, and only Apple uses the standard anyway. You've obviously never used ADC. It's evil. Trust us.

I really hope that Apple is working some kind of office replacement together with Sun and the OpenOffice project. Maybe they can do to OpenOffice what they did with Safari. Maybe they can establish an open document standard or make their office suite XDoc-compatible (Microsoft's upcoming corporate document format).

Apple already has presentation, e-mail, database and web software. All they need is Word and Spreadsheet software.

Barto

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Barto ]

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Barto ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Naive optimisim. Confernece calls have absolutely nothing to do with product announcements. "Something up our sleeves" was just a passing comment on future product. "Future" is not now but later.... and the way Apple defines "future", much later. First things first. Apple seems to be changing suppliers for their manufacturing based on recent stories in the Asian press. No new product for another several months probably.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>

To paraphrase Albert Einstien, things should be as simple as possible and no simpler. ADC means that the power, USB and video signals are locked up in one cable. USB isn't so bad, power is as there is no way any computer can power more than one monitor, and only Apple uses the standard anyway. You've obviously never used ADC. It's evil. Trust us.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

To make dual ADC cards, Apple could supply additional power the way it is (or was) done on certain graphics cards to match the GPUs powerhunger.

<strong>

Apple already has presentation, e-mail, database and web software. All they need is Word and Spreadsheet software.

Barto

True, but wordprocessing and spreadsheets are the most vital applications in an office suite. And the apps need to be tightly integrated and feature a similar interface.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Well I think Steve said it somewhere last week that the 'Street needs to be educated". So maybe tomorrow Steve can do a little educating to Wall Street along with his scheduled conference subjects.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member

<strong>

I really hope that Apple is working some kind of office replacement together with Sun and the OpenOffice project. Maybe they can do to OpenOffice what they did with Safari. Maybe they can establish an open document standard or make their office suite XDoc-compatible (Microsoft's upcoming corporate document format).

Barto

Check out macrumors then-

[quote] In Liberation.fr, Jean-Louis Gassee (founder of Be, Inc.) writes about the state of Apple.

One interesting unknown tidbit that Gassee offers is that Apple recruited the team from GoBe back in 2001.

GoBe produced an office suite entitled GoBe Productive for Windows, Linux and BeOS platforms and made it to version 3.0. This software met positive reviews in the press.

The software featured various word processing, page design, layout, drawing, and photo components: <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 31 of 32
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

I know you're stuck on OS 9, but you can't really blame Apple for lacking in performance when you're using an OS they're no longer offering that only exploits about half the performance the hardware offers, and that not well. Apple are trying their damndest to move people to OS X. The speed difference on DP machines is impressive.

That's not to say that you'd be entirely content with the performance of your work machine under OS X, but it would at least be clearer that Apple is not sitting still. Heck, I have the same machine at home that you have, and I've been running OS X since March 2000, watching my computer get faster with every update.

On topic, I expect Fred Anderson to discuss financials, refuse to break down sales numbers as much the analysts would like, express confidence in the product pipeline without giving out any details, and otherwise do what he always does during these calls. Steve will probably give a pep talk, like he often does, that essentially reiterates his last keynote and expresses confidence in Apple's product pipeline "going forward."

A product release during a conference call is just bizarre. If Apple want to make waves tomorrow, they'll issue a press release that morning announcing some new thing, and then host the conference call.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Amorph ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

@HomeNow @ Work

Amorph,

I dont blame Apple for lack of performance of InDesign on OS 9.2, this is a program with a lot of bells and wistles, possibly too many, and requires a lot of system resources. This would probably be better if my company were to move to OS X, so that the program and OS could take advantage of the dual processors.

The point I was trying to make is that programers are constantly pushing the hardware's limits in speed. This is getting better today than it was 5 years ago, but there are programs that may become very heavily used, and push Mac sales, that demand faster processors to make them perform as well as their counterparts on OS 9 (Quark for example). The need for speed is real, and every day that Apple keeps the status quo is one day further behind that they are.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    "I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post."

That's beautiful Miami Craig, can I steal it for my signature?