Breakthrough! Apple+Mackie=Great Sound

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, I went to guitar center hoping to spend two hundred dollars on a pair of speakers and after trying hopelessly to find the sound i wanted, i finally bought these Mackie Yeah, WOW.

The Sound is AMAZING. The thing is that i don't own a recording studio or any stuff like that. All i do is hook up an iPod and Bam. I get the clearest audio that I will ever need.

The bad thing is that they are kind of expensive at $625 Buck a piece.

Ouch.

By the way, No other PC Speaker compares to them.

I'll Post Pictures in the Future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    you bought a pair of 625 dollar speakers to play MP3s through!?

• Reply 2 of 21
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I'll second that.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    zerozero Posts: 39member
    I don't like the mackie sound very much. But of course they're great for mp3...

But take a look at this speakers: http://www.abluesky.com They sound amazing, and still affordable.

cheers

zero
  • Reply 4 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Dunno...I think JBL is still pretty standard for studio monitors here, and Tannoy around the world. No part of my home is prepped in any way to make the difference noticeable anyway...

For home theater style set-ups, I'd probably go with Paradigm or Definitive Technology
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Well hold on now perhaps this is the iPod he owns.

\

flick.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    more money than sense?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    those mackies are designed for studio monitoring.

another pair [that are slightly better, subjectively of course] that's in the same price range are the blue skies 2.1

Both AWESOME monitors.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Quote:

you bought a pair of 625 dollar speakers to play MP3s through!

Well, Even though you won't believe it, there is a noticeable difference.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

you bought a pair of 625 dollar speakers to play MP3s through!?

A well-made, high bit rate MP3 or AAC file is close enough to the sound quality of the original source material that the quality of your speakers is going to make a lot more difference than lossy compression issues.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    nx7oe

Don't let people rib you. The Mackie studio monitors have a large fanbase. They've been popular since their debut. Good bass in them huh

I wouldn't mind having a pair myself. Abluesky is good too because of the sub.

Good choice and if you decide to sell them it's easy since Pro Musicians would pay a fair price for any Active Monitors that are aimed at studios and nearfield monitoring.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    nx7oe

Excellent purchase - many pro studios use Mackie monitors.

If this is just for home use, though, you may have been able to save yourself a few more bucks by opting for the 624 model. Less bottom end - but it should still be more than sufficient for a domestic computer music playback system.

btw - each Mackie Active monitor is THX approved... they must be doing something right! ... well, apart from paying off Lucasfilm industries
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Thanks for the Support People.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

A well-made, high bit rate MP3 or AAC file is close enough to the sound quality of the original source material that the quality of your speakers is going to make a lot more difference than lossy compression issues.

hardly.

hell, CDs dont do 625 dollar studio speakers justice

buying them simply for MP3 listening is laughable.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    applenut and other audiophiles...don't let the placebo effect fool you. Good speakers make anything sound better. MP3 sounds WAY better on my roommate's Harmon Kardon Champagne 2.1 speakers than on my Apple (from a CD ROM box, not the Pro ones) speakers with iTunes Sound Enhancer. Hearing is believing. Wish I could buy those speakers...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    This is my first post here, but I just had to respond to this thread. Maybe it's just jealousy, but I can't believe that someone who doesn't work in the audio industry would go out and buy a set of Mackie HR824s, just to list to MP3s... that is absolutely brilliant!

For anyone who actually knows a thing or two about studio monitors (speakers, not LCD screens), the Mackie's are by far and away one of the best powered near/mid fields that you can buy. Probably the only better sounding monitors are the Tannoy Reveals, Dynaudio BM6As and Genelecs, but you'd be paying a hell of a lot more for that level of monitor.

I have to commend you for having the sheer audacity and flagrant disregard for your finances, to go and purchase a professional studio reference monitor system for listening to MP3s... and I thought I was a gear addict!!! Next you'll be spending $500 on a pair of Senheiser HD600 headphones!

Oh, by the way... I use a set of HR824s along side a set of Yamaha NS10Ms, and they are fantastic... especially hooked up to a Mackie D8B digital mixer.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

applenut and other audiophiles...don't let the placebo effect fool you. Good speakers make anything sound better. MP3 sounds WAY better on my roommate's Harmon Kardon Champagne 2.1 speakers than on my Apple (from a CD ROM box, not the Pro ones) speakers with iTunes Sound Enhancer. Hearing is believing. Wish I could buy those speakers...

I believe this is because you're comparing crap speakers to slightly less crap speakers. Yes, mp3s probably will sound better on his studio monitors vs. whatever he had before, but so will plenty of other options. In fact, a good pair of open-ear headphones would probably do the trick. And I don't mean ridiculously expensive headphones either. Grado SR-60s would probably be just the ticket for mp3s, and they cost ~$70.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

Well, I went to guitar center hoping to spend two hundred dollars on a pair of speakers and after trying hopelessly to find the sound i wanted, i finally bought these Mackie Yeah, WOW.

The Sound is AMAZING. The thing is that i don't own a recording studio or any stuff like that. All i do is hook up an iPod and Bam. I get the clearest audio that I will ever need.

The bad thing is that they are kind of expensive at $625 Buck a piece.

I've been shopping these powered monitors for awhile and they are used for mixing by Liam Howlett, and many reviews praise the bass(don't need a subwoofer for these, unlike those in the $200 price range) flat response and how the speakers don't fatigue your ears after hours of mixing.

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256AE100131216

First of all, go back to GC and get $60 back 'cuz these are $599 each at zzounds.com (GC will give you price differences, they do for me at my local store)...

Second, you just dropped $1250 on powered studio monitors, why not on actual stereo speakers and amp/receiver from a stereo store??

Especially when you missed your price point by ummm...a grand!!!?!

For that price you can get a surround sound decoder, powered subwoofer and speakers that you can plug your DVD player into as well...

unless you are of course, mixing your own music...

seriously, though...GC is not the place to buy stereo speakers...
  • Reply 18 of 21
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    I have been known to listen to MP3's amplified through an Acurus DIA-100 powering Martin Logan Aerius i speakers. Does this make me a bad person?

I like those Mackies loads - I think they're probably the best deal on studio monitors around (powered). I just wish

I could kill my old Peavey studio monitors (don't laugh! They were/are really quite good).

Thoth
  • Reply 19 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    <sniffle> If I was in Germany I'd love to pick up the ADAM Audio P11A's I have a thing for Ribbon High End.

scrumptious! Now you can get these here but the cost jacks up $500 over the Mackies.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

First of all, go back to GC and get $60 back 'cuz these are $599 each at zzounds.com (GC will give you price differences, they do for me at my local store)...[/B]

Thanks man, i'll do that.