Windows gripes #s 145413, 145414, and 145415

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

[B#145418: USB in ME. Isn't plug and play supposed to be better now? Jeez. [/B]

You're still using ME? Upgrade to XP already!
  • Reply 22 of 53
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    How about those darned contextual menu keys and windows keys. I continuously bump them when I'm aiming for the shift key, and then it removes the focus from the text. And I can't get it back without clicking the mouse.

Of course, it's not much better on a TiBook, where I occasionally hit the up button and the shift button at the same time, highlighting the row above me. And then if I'm typing quickly, it's gets overwritten.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

You're still using ME? Upgrade to XP already!

And give MS more money and personal information? Hell no! We're using Me on this computer until it dies and then we're getting a mac. (It's my fiancee's computer. I'm making all the computer purchasing decisions from now on.)
  • Reply 24 of 53
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    WindowsME? Are you insane? Even the biggest MS zealot will tell you that is their worst release to date!

You really can't say 'all the things I hate about Windows' and refer to WindowsME. XP has been out for two years now and is a whole new world. It's stable, plug and play, fast, better organized and more consistent. Is it OS X? No, but bitching about WindowsME is like someone saying that they hate their Mac cuz' OS 8.6 keeps crashing and doesn't handle memory very well.

Today, Macs = OS X and PCs = XP. The upgrade is only about $90 (you don't need Pro unless you are a Network guru) and RAM is cheap. Adding XP and RAM to your machine (via clean install right from the bootable XP CD) will make that PC run better for those must have apps.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patchouli

WindowsME? Are you insane? Even the biggest MS zealot will tell you that is their worst release to date!...

Today, Macs = OS X and PCs = XP. The upgrade is only about $90 (you don't need Pro unless you are a Network guru) and RAM is cheap. Adding XP and RAM to your machine (via clean install right from the bootable XP CD) will make that PC run better for those must have apps.

Either that, or torifile could scrounge up a copy of Windows 2000. A more stable OS, but without the activation/private-info-to-Microsoft hassles.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm with torifile on the XP issue. If I register XP with Mother Microsoft it doesn't need to know all the hardware components in my system. And if I change my system Microsoft doesn't need to know what I changed. Because of that, I will never buy XP. (Windows Media player is now also in my crosshairs) That is too much information to someone I don't trust. I fill in BS in registration forms whenever possible. I hope Microsoft won't sue my cat.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

And give MS more money and personal information? Hell no! We're using Me on this computer until it dies and then we're getting a mac. (It's my fiancee's computer. I'm making all the computer purchasing decisions from now on.)

[DiNiro]Be a man. Be a man. You gonna let her decide what to get, you $#^%$@ $%#^&#? Have some respect. Be a man. I said, be a man.[/DeNiro]

(notice how DeNiro says things 3-5 times in a lot of his movies?)

• Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

[DiNiro]Be a man. Be a man. You gonna let her decide what to get, you $#^%$@ $%#^&#? Have some respect. Be a man. I said, be a man.[/DeNiro]

(notice how DeNiro says things 3-5 times in a lot of his movies?)

No more emasculation for me!! Cars, computers, lawn mowers! All mine!
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

WindowsME? Are you insane? Even the biggest MS zealot will tell you that is their worst release to date!

You really can't say 'all the things I hate about Windows' and refer to WindowsME. XP has been out for two years now and is a whole new world. It's stable, plug and play, fast, better organized and more consistent. Is it OS X? No, but bitching about WindowsME is like someone saying that they hate their Mac cuz' OS 8.6 keeps crashing and doesn't handle memory very well.

Not true. OS X was out when ME came out. It would be like comparing Cheetah (10.0) to XP, but that's not too bad. I've been trying to find 2000 at my college comp store, but it looks like they don't carry the regular version anymore. Only something like advanced server or something. I'm going to ask my brother-in-law if he can find one at UT for me.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I'm with torifile on the XP issue. If I register XP with Mother Microsoft it doesn't need to know all the hardware components in my system. And if I change my system Microsoft doesn't need to know what I changed. Because of that, I will never buy XP. (Windows Media player is now also in my crosshairs) That is too much information to someone I don't trust. I fill in BS in registration forms whenever possible. I hope Microsoft won't sue my cat.

If you're worried about privacy then don't register. Activating only gives ms a hardware hash code, so it's not possible to tell what brand of video card you're using since apparently this is important to you. If you don't like WMP, don't use it, there are many of capable alternatives.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

XP has been out for two years now and is a whole new world. It's stable, plug and play, fast, better organized and more consistent.

Windows is incompatible with the plug-n-play paradigm. Whatever version it is. XP is a little better, but I just don't get it. Yes, it's pretty stable until you install both QuarkXPress and CorelDraw. Yes, it's fast until you open a 1GB file in Photoshop. Yes, it's well-organized until you have to edit the registry or sort the DLL hell. Yes, it's more consistent than 3.1, but I always fail to find the things I need and I still don't understand why you click 'Start' if you want to log out. I guess my mentality is not so cross-platform.

Sorry for the rant.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I have spent this past summer working in a lab with a computer running windows 3.1. You don't realize how bad it used to be. And of course, the piece of software we NEED to run is only for 3.1.

then I'd recommend using an emulator so you don't have to puke at 3.1 when you don't have to. VPC or VMware might do the trick for you.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

If you're worried about privacy then don't register. Activating only gives ms a hardware hash code, so it's not possible to tell what brand of video card you're using since apparently this is important to you. If you don't like WMP, don't use it, there are many of capable alternatives.

Windows XP requiresyou to register over the internet when it first boots up. You can not start up without authentication from Mother Microsoft. As for Windows Media, I'm enjoying version 7 (whenever it isn't crashing) and if the Windows DRM file won't play, so be it. I never needed it in the first place. Oh, that reminds me, expect a rant soon
  • Reply 34 of 53
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    torifile:

Quote:

Why does installing MS Money take 20 minutes and 2 restarts? Why don't progress bars actually indicate progress?

Because your computer sucks. NEXT QUESTION!
  • Reply 35 of 53
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Why does installing MS Money take 20 minutes and 2 restarts?

I can't see why any sort of update should require two restarts.

If what you're installing is a system software update or new drivers or the like, I can see one restart.

Something like MS Money should be purely an application running on top of the OS. What awful tentacles is Money extending and wrapping around the innards of your system such that two reboots are necessary before it works? Even if installing Money involves some sort of database driver update, that should be doable with one or zero restarts.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I can't see why any sort of update should require two restarts.

If what you're installing is a system software update or new drivers or the like, I can see one restart.

Something like MS Money should be purely an application running on top of the OS. What awful tentacles is Money extending and wrapping around the innards of your system such that two reboots are necessary before it works? Even if installing Money involves some sort of database driver update, that should be doable with one or zero restarts.

He had to upgrade to IE6 before installing Money.

There are no tentacles, just conspiracy theorists.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Windows XP requiresyou to register over the internet when it first boots up. You can not start up without authentication from Mother Microsoft. As for Windows Media, I'm enjoying version 7 (whenever it isn't crashing) and if the Windows DRM file won't play, so be it. I never needed it in the first place. Oh, that reminds me, expect a rant soon

Registration and Activation are separate. Only activation is required. You can still boot without activiating for a few months as well.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Oh, my bad. But you still have to give Microsoft personal info and your hardware setup in a month or you can't use the software. That is what makes me tick.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

torifile:

Because your computer sucks. NEXT QUESTION!

There was another question: "Why doesn't estimated time remaining operate on a real time basis?"

Too bad the computer is a fairly new Dell PIII 733. Not mint by any means, but jeez.

And, yes, the problem was IE6. It had to be installed and apparently that requires restarts. :/ That's the reason this is a Windows issue and not an MS Money issue.

And, yes, the computer does suck. Because it runs Windows.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    I swear I'm not trying to confuse you ebby.

Registration is where you fill out personal info for all that marketing BS.

Activation ties the OS install to a particular computer. MS says in several places that no personal info is required.