Is IBM fabbing slower clocked 970's?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Norman Terry: That the parts Apple's using now are 130nm tech is common knowledge. Who've gotten you into the idea that they're 90nm? Any source?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I think what he isn't getting is that the original 1.8GHz on 130nm was a conservative estimate. He probably heard way back, almost a year ago, that IBM would quickly transition to 90nm after the initial launch. What he doesn't know is that 2.0GHz is the new 1.8GHz, mostly because he's probably been sitting under a rock for the past six months. Not good when you are trying to fake inside information.

• Reply 23 of 28
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

It would be a bad marketing move for Apple to stick with a 1.2 model iMac for the next revision if the 7457's were available at speeds up to 1.6, and these were released as upgrades for previous G4 computers. they would get eaten alive in the press and on the boards. Apple might be able to entice Cube and iMac owners to upgrade with a good speed boost with a top end 1.6 G4 but a 1.2 is not signifigant enough of a boost to get a lot of people excited enough about the new model to say "I need to upgrade now."

I hope the info about 7457's running @ 1.6G is accurate. I indeed think its important that we get that sort of update into the iMacs/PowerBooks, i agree that a 1.2G update would be pathetic.

I suspect any desire to get G5's into the PB's whilst possible is now unlikely until maybe MWSF in Jan 04.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Again I am referring to the 2.0's and higher that was mentioned almost a year ago. I have been under a rock for the past six months but I am slowly re-emerging. Thanks for your concern though. Does anyone know if Fishkill will be producing the .09's or is IBM going to move the operation for the new chips.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Norman Terry

Again I am referring to the 2.0's and higher that was mentioned almost a year ago. I have been under a rock for the past six months but I am slowly re-emerging. Thanks for your concern though. Does anyone know if Fishkill will be producing the .09's or is IBM going to move the operation for the new chips.

Almost a year ago IBM thought all they would get out of the 130nm process was 1.8GHz. They got 2.0GHz. They were estimating back then, and you accept that as the one and only unchangeable truth? It's been a whole damn year, man. Estimates are never precise. Your information is no longer correct.

• Reply 26 of 28
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 27 of 28
    Apple still plans on releasing the 2.0Ghz+ still yet this year, right?

Even though that maybe true, I'm still going to make the first rev. my computer for the next 4-5 years. Because Apple is that far ahead of the competition, the G5 looks like it's longevity in speed is the greatest selling point to any customer.

Oh ya, what's fishkill...going to look it up.

-walloo.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

Oh ya, what's fishkill...going to look it up.

Fishkill is IBM's old plant in Fishkill, New York that was gutted and renovated to become their most high-tech fab, and also a research lab and design house. It's where the 970 is being fabbed.