I Passed the ACTC Exam

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yup. I'm now a ACTC. The test was painful. Way harder than I thought. If you expect lame Aqua questions and questions about the Dock and iChat, think again. The test was focued on JAVA, Open Directory, LDAP, Apache, Samba, misc. network protocols, UNIX, Classic, permissions, NetBoot, authentication, WebDAV, OS X Server, etc...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Great! What's an ACTC?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Great! What's an ACTC?

Apple Certified Technical Coordinator

Edit: Brad beat me to it.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    In Stereo
  • Reply 5 of 35
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Congratulations - I'm considering taking the ACSA but I don't have the time at the moment.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

...I'm now a ACTC...

but yet still don't know that its an ACTC

haha i'm just playing man, i'm the LAST one that should be making fun of grammar/spelling congrats!
  • Reply 7 of 35
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Wow! Congrats.

Did you have to take it for your profession of choice, or was it something you just wanted 'under your belt'?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

but yet still don't know that its an ACTC

haha i'm just playing man, i'm the LAST one that should be making fun of grammar/spelling congrats!

Yep, because your "its" needs an apostrophe for the contraction of "it is".

it's

• Reply 9 of 35
    Moderator, Legal Counsel, Pimp and now Grammarian....

'Jack' of all trades, hmm?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Yep, because your "its" needs an apostrophe for the contraction of "it is".

it's

...perhaps you were too busy looking for errors in my post to actually read it

I am horrible at those things while on the internet...perhaps i should work on it, I normally just type what I'm thinking so I need to keep up at the expense of errors. I should work on it, I know murbot would probably like me better.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Wow! Congrats.

Did you have to take it for your profession of choice, or was it something you just wanted 'under your belt'?

I have an AA is Liberal Arts and a BA in Computer Science. Not a BS (which is a "real degree" LOL)

I did "consulting" for many years. I worked for a local Apple VAR for a couple years and for the last 5 years I have been a network admin. I'm sort of a Sytems admin really. Titles are funny.

I have a CCNT (CompTIA Certified Network Technician) cert, and now I have a ACTC. Whoo-hoo!

I am studying for the CompTIA Linux+ cert now. I hope to get some MS certs (Server and Exchange), the ComTIA A+ cert, and a security-based cert as well. I am looking into the ACNA as well. I bet it's a tough exam!
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

I have an AA is Liberal Arts and a BA in Computer Science. Not a BS (which is a "real degree" LOL)

I did "consulting" for many years. I worked for a local Apple VAR for a couple years and for the last 5 years I have been a network admin. I'm dort of a Sytems admin really. Titles are funny.

I have a CCNT (CompTIA Certified Network Technician) cert, and now I have a ACTC. Whoo-hoo!

I am studying for the CompTIA Linux+ cert now. I hope to get some MS certs (Server and Exchange), the ComTIA A+ cert, and a security-based cert as well. I am looking into the ACNA as well. I bet it's a tough exam!

The B.A. in Comp Sci isn't any less of a degree than a B.S. in Comp Sci.

At many universities, especially at their College of Arts and Sciences schools, a B.A. is all which is offered. Some examples are Harvard and Boston University both of which only offer B.A.s when in their respective CAS.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

I did "consulting" for many years. I worked for a local Apple VAR for a couple years and for the last 5 years I have been a network admin. I'm dort of a Sytems admin really. Titles are funny.

Wow. Now, the REAL question is....do you get to put all those caps after your name like a doctor does?
  • Reply 14 of 35
    There's no difference between the BA and the BS. It just depends on how your school got started, Arts vs Science. I know people with a BA in physics.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

There's no difference between the BA and the BS. It just depends on how your school got started, Arts vs Science. I know people with a BA in physics.

Thats not true for Computer Science. For instance Rutgers University in NJ offers a BA in CS and a BS in CS. The BS has a lot more math, science and programming classes. Most of the jobs I have applied to have required the BS because they were programming jobs. A friend of mine was turned down for a job because he had the BA and less programming courses. I applied after him and got the job because of my BS.

Either way a Bachelor's in CS is better than none at all
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

Thats not true for Computer Science. For instance Rutgers University in NJ offers a BA in CS and a BS in CS. The BS has a lot more math, science and programming classes. Most of the jobs I have applied to have required the BS because they were programming jobs. A friend of mine was turned down for a job because he had the BA and less programming courses. I applied after him and got the job because of my BS.

Either way a Bachelor's in CS is better than none at all

I bet a guy from harvard with a degree in Comp Sci wouldn't have been turned down on the basis of his degree.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maxcom29

I bet a guy from harvard with a degree in Comp Sci wouldn't have been turned down on the basis of his degree.

A guy from Harvard wouldn't be applying to a typical programming job.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    Dstranathan, was there a specific book you used to study for the ACTC or would it require several books? Is there any place to get a bunch of sample questions that would be on the exam?
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by spindler

Dstranathan, was there a specific book you used to study for the ACTC or would it require several books? Is there any place to get a bunch of sample questions that would be on the exam?

There is an out-of-print book (2002) from the Exam Cram series for the 10.1 ACTC cert. I used it. It was OK. I found it used at Amazon for $7.00.

I also used the 10.2 Server's Administrator's Guide (a HUGE PDF).

Apple has a ACTC Assessment Guide on their website which is vague but helpful.

Apple REALLY wants you to pay them for classes. I hate that. I want books, guides, and online practice test sites like the "rest of the IT world". Apple needs to have books and stuff out for us! Too bad O'Reilly doesn't do cert books. They seem to like Apple. Maybe they will?
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Beleive me, the BA in CS is a booby-prize compared to a BS. AFAIK