it is really mean to declaw a cat.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i didn't know this. i took for granted that declawing a cat was a simple thing that everyone did...however, after some reading, i realize that it is mainly an american thing...it is illegal in england and many other countries where it is considered inhumane and unnecessary mutiliation.

apparently they actually cut off part of the toe. so it is nothing like a kitty manicure.

just an FYI, i thought it was quite interesting. click here for a google search on declawing

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I am very fond of cats, and I would consider it mean, even if the cat scratched you or something, there are other methods around that than declawing.

Claws are really important to cats

it would be like de-nosing a dog.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    I believe California just made it illegal. it's basically like amputation
  • Reply 3 of 36
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

I believe California just made it illegal. it's basically like amputation

that's awesome! i need to move out west. for this reason only
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

that's awesome! i need to move out west. for this reason only

And because california rules.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've got two cats and I would never have them declawed. Some mild behavioral training has made my cats extremely well behaved and they don't claw anything they're not supposed to. Declawing is cruel. When they're declawed, they can barely walk for days afterwards and even years down the road, they go through the "claw" sharpening techniques they've got pre-programmed, despite the fact that they don't have claws.

Declawing is a lazy way out of learning to discipline your cats properly. I guess Americans love it for the same reason so many kids are on ritalin: it's the easy way out of being a good parent (in some cases).

Get a spray bottle, learn to hiss and give gentle bops on the nose when necessary. That's all it takes. That and consistency.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I had two cats, they were such pussies, the only time they really clawed was when they were afraid, like babies hanging on to you, one especially hated going to the vet, it would dig right into my chest and cry. To this day, I can't really enjoy Chinese food.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Get a spray bottle, learn to hiss and give gentle bops on the nose when necessary. That's all it takes. That and consistency.

yup that about sums it up.

I am not proud of this, but when I was really little I used to torment cats, I literally threw my cat by it's tail and chucked it accross the room and squeezed it's stomach and I feel so bad just thinking about it, I would never want to harm a cat now, I really love them a lot, I don't now why I was like that when I was little but at least I grew up. \
  • Reply 8 of 36
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

...I don't now why I was like that when I was little but at least I grew up. \

reminds me of myself when i was a kid with my dogs. i would spank them often and be mean and yell, but that's how my parents handled them. no training, inconsistent treatment, very little vet care... poor, poor dogs.

they didn't want to poop in the house, we just didn't take them out enough or feed them right or consistently. i can only imagine what went through their heads when we were mad at them. 'course, ours wasn't the most functional and happy household ever.

damn, i feel rotten and ashamed of my behavior, but i also know where i picked it up from. at least i am trying to make up for it with my current dog. \
  • Reply 9 of 36
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Depends if you think someone permanently ripping out your own toenails is mean.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

yup that about sums it up.

I am not proud of this, but when I was really little I used to torment cats, I literally threw my cat by it's tail and chucked it accross the room and squeezed it's stomach and I feel so bad just thinking about it, I would never want to harm a cat now, I really love them a lot, I don't now why I was like that when I was little but at least I grew up. \

I have done that also when i was young, and i am not proud of this and will never tell my kids that i did that.

You can be very nasty while you are a kid : you don't have the clear perception that what you've done can be ugly. I have three cats now, and i am really nice with them, or with any cats.

For declawing : it's a bad idear. My mother declawed our cat (the one that i used to threw by her tail one time or two) after the cat attacked her. Our cat, had just some little kittens, and for an unknow reasons, attacked my mother with rage. And a cat who is attacking can be very dangerous (even if it can kill you at the contrary of a dog), and it scared my mother. My parents decided to not to kill her, but to declaw her front legs. However even without these front claws, she can still bite and have her rear claws. In her case declawing was better than been killed.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    why would you kill her anyway?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

why would you kill her anyway?

Not me, i was just ten years or something like that. I think my parents wheren't anymore in the cat. She has attacked my mother badly (huge claw scars), my parents fear she do it against us. I never see the attack, because i was in the Toilett, when i hear my mother shouting. My brother was there, and suceed to defeat her with the help of a broom. But he said that the attack was incredible, you can't imagine that a 5 pounds animal can be so terrible.

In other way we canno't give this cat to an other family, because she only supported us. One day we have some guest, who stay to sleep at house. She was not happy with that and decided to piss on their bed

I am really a crazy cat lover, i should be named Catnut
  • Reply 13 of 36
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I was cruel to my cats also, when I was young, say around 8 years old... Now I wouldn't dream of it, they're getting quite old, they're in great shape (the local vet says they're as fit as cat half their age) due to the affection and good care they now get. I can't believe I was like that...

As for declawing them, not a chance. You give their claws a trim, yes, but declawing takes away the very meaning of what it is to be a cat. They climb everywhere, without claws, they can do hardly anything. My three cats are regularly using their claws, despite that they're becoming 'oldies' now, albeit sometimes on various parts of the carpet...
  • Reply 14 of 36
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This (below in bold) is the problem, though:

It's instinctual for cats to use their claws, and they often destroy stuff, no matter what you do to try to stop them. I'm sorry, I just don't have sympathy for cats that have been de-clawed and provided a good home, when there are so many strays and put to death.

Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I've got two cats and I would never have them declawed. Some mild behavioral training has made my cats extremely well behaved and they don't claw anything they're not supposed to. Declawing is cruel. When they're declawed, they can barely walk for days afterwards and even years down the road, they go through the "claw" sharpening techniques they've got pre-programmed, despite the fact that they don't have claws.

Declawing is a lazy way out of learning to discipline your cats properly. I guess Americans love it for the same reason so many kids are on ritalin: it's the easy way out of being a good parent (in some cases).

• Reply 15 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If you knock the cat out for the duration of the procedure and can assure me 100% that it will feel no pain at all then I'm fine with it as long as you are keeping it inside.

My only gripe with declawing is the intense pain that must be felt when ripping the goddam claw out of the body.

As far as cats *needing* them, unless you live in the country and let it roam around that is a bullshit argument. Most American cats live *inside* the house where they need claws like a fish needs a bicycle.

Cats are destructive, and beyond that cats are cruel, disloyal and (IMO) not as intelligent as a dog, who I don't mind having claws so long as they are trimmed. They are very cute, though, so we like them (what's the difference between a squirrel and a rat? Big bushy tail.). And if I were a cat I would prefer a painless procedure ridding me of my claws and a life of luxury over having my claws and being put down as a stray.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Did California also outlaw the various modifications done on dogs?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

If you knock the cat out for the duration of the procedure and can assure me 100% that it will feel no pain at all then I'm fine with it as long as you are keeping it inside.

My only gripe with declawing is the intense pain that must be felt when ripping the goddam claw out of the body.

As far as cats *needing* them, unless you live in the country and let it roam around that is a bullshit argument. Most American cats live *inside* the house where they need claws like a fish needs a bicycle.

Cats are destructive, and beyond that cats are cruel, disloyal and (IMO) not as intelligent as a dog, who I don't mind having claws so long as they are trimmed. They are very cute, though, so we like them (what's the difference between a squirrel and a rat? Big bushy tail.). And if I were a cat I would prefer a painless procedure ridding me of my claws and a life of luxury over having my claws and being put down as a stray.

i don't buy your statements one bit. one of our cats was declawed and it was always shaking it's paws for no apparent reason. i know it was due to being declawed. also, it was always careful when jumping down from things as well

there are lots of outdoor cats in neighborhood. one of our other cats is declawed, she goes outside. this cats doesn't shake her paws but she is careful when jumping down

cats are loyal and just as intellegent as dog if not more so. my cats come when called and they are constantly on my lap and seeking attention

maybe the procedure is painless but the after effects are not

dog are so dumb, they don't even clean up after they poo, they just leave it. then you have the dignity of picking it after them cats go in a nice box and cover it up. yes i think dogs are stupid, they are. all they do is jump and slober all over you. they're like imature hyperactive little kids
  • Reply 19 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If you are shot and on the ground a dog will at least whine that you are dying if they aren't chasing the person who shot you. A cat will want to find out what your blood tastes like.

Cats are not loyal animals. Their liking attention is no sign of loyalty.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Their liking attention is no sign of loyalty.

perhaps, but cats are loyal imo. plus my cat know if i'm upset and try to console me