Hip Hop heads: greatest MCs of all time?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I was refering more to his work in blackalicious, and his solo stuff. I don't think he's as awesome in quannum

Edit: Quannum is a label. right?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Good picks....I mustve been real tired last night to not add Big L....I put him up there as one of the greatest of all time despite the fact that sadly his career was far too short. Listen to some of his freestyles etc, the guy is just a sick lyricist.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:

You need to be bitchslapped!

You're probably right. Although not on account of my preferences in MCs.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    holy crap, tiger woods, i agree with you almost completely. Del the funky homosapien is one of my favorites...and any of the guys from de la soul.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Actually when I think about it, the whole Hiero Crew are terrific MCs. Some better than others, but they all keep it real, and have very good rhyming abilities.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I agree, Hieroglyphics/Souls Of Mischeif are indeed very dope, one of my favorite hip hop groups & crews ever. up there with Wu-Tang Clan. Hieroglyphics' album "Third Eye Vision" is a classic album in my opinion.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

I agree, Hieroglyphics/Souls Of Mischeif are indeed very dope, one of my favorite hip hop groups & crews ever. up there with Wu-Tang Clan. Hieroglyphics' album "Third Eye Vision" is a classic album in my opinion.

hmmm, trying to decide whether to see heiroglyphics in concert... they are playing with de la soul.

i really dont like the music at all but might go to check it out (10 bucks)

worth it?
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

hmmm, trying to decide whether to see heiroglyphics in concert... they are playing with de la soul.

worth it?

Definitely!!! Especially with De la for only 10 bucks....you cant go wrong, both of them rip it on stage. Dunno if its gonna be all the members or not but even if it wasnt it should still be a dope show.

www.hieroglyphics.com if you wanna check them out before hand
  • Reply 29 of 52
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

So they're rappers. There's no difference between rappers and MCs? I thought MCs just played other people's music. Oh, I guess that applies to rappers too. Or am I confusing DJs and MCs? It's all so bewildering.

MC is the lyricist, DJ plays the beats/samples/scratches.

Quote:

Originally posted by BR

The best MC is the one that kills all the other MCs and then kills himself.

I don't know whether to or
  • Reply 30 of 52
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

worth it?

Uh. Yeah.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

mc solaar

oh yeah.

conrad is probably the best mc today. he mc's for ltj bukem, the michael jordan of atmospheric drum'n bass.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

They are coming out with a new one!

a new family album is due soon, as well as new Del, new A-plus, and more.

It will be a good few months for hiero-heads.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I can't believe I forgot Wu-Tang, especially since I only have like 8 or 9 rap CDs total.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    sondjatasondjata Posts: 308member
    KRS-1

2-Pac

Mos Def

Rakim

snoop Dog( though I hate his subject matter)

LL cool J

Slick Rick

Erik Sermon

Red Man (don't care for his subject matter either)

Lauryn Hill

Busta Rhymes

Phife (from Tribe called Quest)
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Slick Rick is the best English rapper ever

Surprised you mentioned Eric Sermon....hes really underrated to me, EPMD put out a classic album in "Strictly Business".

L Boogie is the best female MC I would say....but I dont think she can compete with the boys, no sexism intended there.

ATCQ is one of the best hip hop groups EVER. Midnight Marauders & Low End Theory still get mad rotation from me to this day! Can I Kick It?......Electric Relaxation (my fave joint from them)....Bonita Applebum.....Check The Rime....Scenario.....good ish.

Someone else mentioned Guru....I love Gangstarr but I dont think hes ALL that great of a rapper......its just that he can ride a Premo beat so well, and Prem (DJ Premier for those who dont know) is THE best hip hop producer to grace the genre. Everytime I hear a song with a Premo beat I get chills...
  • Reply 36 of 52
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Definitely!!! Especially with De la for only 10 bucks....you cant go wrong, both of them rip it on stage. Dunno if its gonna be all the members or not but even if it wasnt it should still be a dope show.

www.hieroglyphics.com if you wanna check them out before hand

De La Soul, Hieroglyphics, No Use For A Name w/ the Matches

that's the line-up for the show next saturday.

so, i guess you're saying its a good deal for 10 bucks even if I'm not a fan
  • Reply 37 of 52
    I would say so. You'd be surprised at how many rock heads listen to underground hip hop. I listen to a lot of different styles of music ...Im just rooted in hip hop/r&b.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

[B

Someone else mentioned Guru....I love Gangstarr but I dont think hes ALL that great of a rapper......its just that he can ride a Premo beat so well, and Prem (DJ Premier for those who dont know) is THE best hip hop producer to grace the genre. Everytime I hear a song with a Premo beat I get chills... [/B]

He's is a terrific rapper, his flows are amazing. What I like about permo and guru is that they have such a simple style, but it works so well.

Premo makes great beats for sure, but they are very simplistic, and it really works with gurus fantastic flows, that he delivers in his trademark monotone style.

the thing about guru, that I really like is that he uses a lot of really clever internal rhyming as well as simple ryhmes to just tie things together.

I don't know, when I hear a rap like "You lack in the vernacular" that's just a really friggin good line.

have you heard the song "battle" off the 8 mile soundtrack?

it is a great showcase of guru's skills.'

as for Premo being the BEST, I agree that he is up there, but I honestly prefer Domino from hieroglyphics, because he keeps things more interesting, I don't know, it's too completely different styles and I appreciate what they do very much. Certainly Premo is my biggest inspiration when I make beats.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Let me say that so far I am very glad to see most of the latest rappers left OFF. Most of them are untalented fools.

First one mentions 50 cent, Jay-Z or some other sucka gets capped!! Hahahaha

Naw seriously where is the love for Lauren Hill, a little Beastie Boys, early Ice-T, Busta should get a lot more credit than I have seen mentioned here.

Nobody here wants to go really old school with some UTFO or at least give some props to Digital Underground w/Shock G?

Nick
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Yea I got that song. Guru definitely is good, he aint wack thats for sure, I just dunno if you can realistically put him in the top 15 or 20....top 40 maybe. But yea, his flow just fits so perfect over Premo's beats...Prem has such a nice style to his beats...if you've heard songs like Rakim "When I B On The Mic", Ras Kass "Golden Child", Royce 5'9 "Boom", ....those are some of the best beats I've ever heard. Mass Appeal has to be the best instrumental, that beat is just classic. Hiero has dope production no doubt.

Some producers I would put up there at the top with Premo...Pete Rock, Prince Paul, DJ Hi Tek, Alchemist, Kanye West (this guy is fire...he can do so many different styles...he produced Talib Kweli's "Get By"), 9th Wonder of Little Brother......just to name a few.

Wrong you still free any? We should start up some freestyles on here again.