panther and CPU upgrade

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Move this if it should be in hardware, I am interested in upgrading the CPU in my sawtooth with an OWC 1 GIG CPU. My question is, does anyone know if there will be any conflicts with the new CPU and Panther?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I have a 1GHz upgrade similar to the one you're considering, but I don't think there's any information available that indicates definitively whether Panther will support these upgrades out of the box. I suspect it will.

At a minimum they will likely be supported by the first update (10.3.1), so if your best upgrade path is a CPU upgrade (I know they've gotten pretty cheap by now) I would go with it. Take your chances; you should be OK in the end.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well two options...

1) Ask OWC. If the info they give you is wrong then you could return it for that reason maybe.

2) Send your machine to me and I could test it.

[email protected]
  • Reply 3 of 4
    andrewmandrewm Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by graphicmovement

Move this if it should be in hardware, I am interested in upgrading the CPU in my sawtooth with an OWC 1 GIG CPU. My question is, does anyone know if there will be any conflicts with the new CPU and Panther?

I purchased a Sonnet Encore/ST 1.2 GHz upgrade for my processor, and it seems to have functioned well under the various Panther betas.

My apologies if this is not quite helpful, as Sonnet is of course a different manufacturer from Other World Computing.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks, any info is good info!