PowerBook G5 - January Macuser UK

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to Macuser UK Apple is trying to hit a January MWSF release for a G5 PowerBook. It seems to suggest that a down clocked version would reduce the heat problem to the level of the G4.

I am sure any G5 PB with a lower clock rate would still outgun any G4 PB.

Ops please move to FH, sorry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

According to Macuser UK Apple is trying to hit a January MWSF release for a G5 PowerBook. It seems to suggest that a down clocked version would reduce the heat problem to the level of the G4.

Well, that is probably a January announcement date and ship sometime in March. If it is going to be announced in Jan, then the next PB revision is going to have a horribly short lifetime (1/3rd of a year!!!!). What better way to tick off the Christmas shoppers? IIvx scandal anyone? The IIvx was introduced in October of 92 and the Centris was intorduced in Feb 93 (IIvx = 68030 CPU, Centris 68040 CPU and it cost less!).
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Quote:

God I hate posts like this. Link? Newsstand verison? If so, what issue and availability? Quotes?

• Reply 3 of 31
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

No, it would more likely suggest an aggressive schedule for the move from .13 to .09 by IBM.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Aww geez, I want to buy a 12" now but I don't need to. I guess I'll get it now, I have a good amount of time before it's horribly outdated by an upgrade.

Having a G5 PowerBook AND my G5 Tower would be amazing
  • Reply 5 of 31
    I think anybody would be insane to get any G4 based product right now. Within a half a year-ish, it's G5 time. Especially for Powerbooks. Any G5 Powerbook will blow a G4 based one out the water. Yeesh. It's only another 6 months, right?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 31
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Aww geez, I want to buy a 12" now but I don't need to. I guess i'll get it now, I have a good amount of time before it's horribly outdated by an upgrade.

If you don't need it, then don't get it. Or at least wait until the obvious G5 upgrade comes along before you get it. Be patient little grasshopper.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Maybe, it's hard because I want a my own computer this year to hold me until next year when I get a G5, but figured a laptop now would go nicely with a tower next year. I am telling you right now I doubt I will wait because in the future I could always use my tower for hardcore stuff.

Man this sucks haha.

If I would try and resell it a month or two before MWNY, how much would you estimate I could get?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Well, I'm tired of waiting for the next rev of the PBG4 so I'm going to wait for the PBG5 instead.

You see, I have this new 900 MHz 14" iBook and it's dead. Apple gave it to me to replace the 800 MHz model I had that was sent in for repair 3x for the same video issue and now the replacement has the same issue so it's going in for repair today. Just waiting for Airborne to pick it up. If it gets fixed, fine, I'll have something to use until the G5 PB comes out. Right now, I'm using a blueberry clam.

It's pretty much a certainty that there'll be a G5 PB next year but we don't really have any idea of when. It's possible that the .09µ version of the 970 will be ready ahead of schedule. It seems like Apple would wait for that rather than try to cram a .13µ 1.2 GHz G5 into a PB. With a .09µ process, the PBG5 could be introduced at speeds from 1.4 to 1.8 GHz. Maybe something like [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] with buses at 700, 800, and 900 MHz, respectively. A new mobo-based controller chip at .09µ would run the show. What incredibly dazzling Panther performance these things would have!

So, in my modest, mild-mannered way, I say, SCREW Centrino! SCREW the G4!, just wait for the fabulous G5!\t
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Again Addison, I repeat my request for details of any kind. Macuser UK said exactly what, where? Jezz, people are saying "now I have to wait for a G5 PB", and we don't even have a link!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Leaving aside whether the rumor has any value or not...

I've got an 800 MHz TiBook now. I'm eager for the Rev B of the 12", and a 7457 G4 with DVI would be quite enough to make me happy right now.

As for any upcoming G5 PowerBooks, if they're announced in January, I'm thinking like everyone else that we won't see them delivered until at least March.

Even with a possible G5 PowerBook looming in the future as early as March, if a Rev B G4 PowerBook is announced soon, and is available almost immediately after being announced, I'd still go for it. If I can get my Rev B in September, I'd have it for a full six months before the likely arrival of the G5s. I'd probably then hang onto my new 12" until the second rev of the G5 PowerBooks.

If, however, the expected arrival of 7457 versions of the PowerBooks keeps being held off, so we get something like a September announcement of PowerBooks that won't be shipping until 2-3 months later, I'll be much more inclined to just hang onto my current TiBook and wait it out for the G5s.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I think anybody would be insane to get any G4 based product right now. Within a half a year-ish, it's G5 time. Especially for Powerbooks. Any G5 Powerbook will blow a G4 based one out the water. Yeesh. It's only another 6 months, right?

Lemon Bon Bon

Hi Mr. Bon Bon. I've been reading your cool posts for some time but this is the first time I've responded to one. Actually, it's only 5 months 'til a possible MWSF announcement of G5 PBs. No telling when they'd really ship but that would sure be exciting!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    A quick search of macuser.co.uk produced no such rumor or article. I assume Addison meant the print issue. Does anyone else have it?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Where's the link!

Sounds like some people have simply trolled AI forums?.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Leaving aside whether the rumor has any value or not...

I've got an 800 MHz TiBook now. I'm eager for the Rev B of the 12", and a 7457 G4 with DVI would be quite enough to make me happy right now.

As for any upcoming G5 PowerBooks, if they're announced in January, I'm thinking like everyone else that we won't see them delivered until at least March.

Even with a possible G5 PowerBook looming in the future as early as March, if a Rev B G4 PowerBook is announced soon, and is available almost immediately after being announced, I'd still go for it. If I can get my Rev B in September, I'd have it for a full six months before the likely arrival of the G5s. I'd probably then hang onto my new 12" until the second rev of the G5 PowerBooks.

If, however, the expected arrival of 7457 versions of the PowerBooks keeps being held off, so we get something like a September announcement of PowerBooks that won't be shipping until 2-3 months later, I'll be much more inclined to just hang onto my current TiBook and wait it out for the G5s.

Agreed, IF Apple announces the G5 PB at MWSF - they will ensure that they get enough product to resellers before the close of the quarter - last friday of the month.

Its more than likely that the PB Update now will ship in quantity immediately, that said, i could well be announced along with "one more thing" by SJ @ Paris, that Sep 16 - then in just over 3 months to the announcement of a G5 PB new model?, not likely, sorry \

A 7457 1.6 Al 15" would be VERY tempting, anything short of that, I think Ill hang on to my Ti till PBG5.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    People, we don't even have corroboration of the existence of this Macuser rumor, let alone its accuracy. Maybe you should hold off changing your buying plans.

Can anyone shed some light on Addison's hopelessly muddled post? (and save this thread in the process!)
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I want a dual G4 7457 laptop, I'd even favour a dual 1GHz because of the power consumption. A dual 7457 at 1GHz should not "eat" massively more battery than the current 1GHz TiBook, but it would fly ...
  • Reply 17 of 31
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by shetline

[B]Leaving aside whether the rumor has any value or not...

would a revision of the 12 inch model mean a change in price? i would think the 15 inch needs revision much more.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Sometimes it means a price drop, sometimes it doesn't. It all depends.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    If Mac User UK are running this 'rumour' - then I say so what. Doesn't say anything to me. With all of the 15" rumours we have had this year, I will beleive it when I see it. There is an entire reange of very good PBs available right now if you need one. Given that everyohne is guessing about a next rev. G4 PB I very much doubt that Mac User or anyone else has any reliable info on a G5 PB.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    This comes from the latest magazine MacUser magazine ( UK, Vol 19 No 16 ) which claims to expose Apple's 2004 range with the cover headline , Industrial secrets. The article inside is written by Ian Betteridge, until recently the magazine's editor, and it's not very good. It hedges its bets on the introduction of G5 portables , ..."This means either January, for Macworld San Francisco or July, when the Macworld show will be returning to Boston for the first time in years." He also notes that , " a 1Ghz version could use as little as 19 watts- using this amount of power would make it run even cooler than the current 1.25 Ghz PowerPC 7440, " Later on he notes that the G5 portable would need a completly redesigned motherboard and " Apple would almost certainly use this as an opportunity to redesign the case as well."

The article really doesn't have anything concrete to say, it's just the sort of informed guesswork, speculation and common sense that we're used to in FH.