Software to rip DVDs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Wondering if there's any shareware or even freeware that allows me to rip the movie DVDs I purchase into MPEG or QT files so that I can watch them on my laptop (since my iBook only has the CD-ROM drive)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
  • Reply 2 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    DVDBackup is probably the best. Just copy it to your hard drive and then open up the VIDEO_TS file in Apple's DVD player.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Forty-Two is free and can make VCD/AVI/SVCD, which VLC can play

and you can get the optical drive swapped by a tech.

no Superdrive support in iBook, but Combos are common upgrades
  • Reply 4 of 29
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    For DVD backup (not making DiVX files mind you, but actual DVD copies that will fit on 4.7GB DVD-R) use DVD Backup and DVD2One. http://www.dvd2one.com/

Great stuff and works like a charm.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Dupe threads like crazy around here...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=28635
  • Reply 6 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

For DVD backup (not making DiVX files mind you, but actual DVD copies that will fit on 4.7GB DVD-R) use DVD Backup and DVD2One. http://www.dvd2one.com/

Great stuff and works like a charm.

This is the best solution to make backups. As for time shifting OSEx or DVDBackup would work best.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    what does "time shifting" mean?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

what does "time shifting" mean?

rent a movie, make a backup of it, return original, watch backup later.

....then you should delete it

right...

:-)
  • Reply 9 of 29
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    DVD2One works GREAT

highly recommend it.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

rent a movie, make a backup of it, return original, watch backup later.

....then you should delete it

right...

I actually do this often...more so since I don't feel like buying DVD's but it's really nice to be able to do.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Actually I don't think you need anything but DVD player to play a movie after you have returned it if you just intend to delete it.

I think you merely need to insert your DVD, open DVD player - then click on the DVD, Drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to your desktop, or wherever, and you can open the VIDEO_TS folder with DVD player later when your ready to watch. Then Delete it when your done of course. You'll want to delete it to, because a DVD is sometimes 9 GB in size. If you cant keep that kind of massive file you'll need to use DVDBackup, and DVD2one to shrink it down, but you'll lose some quality. But if you just need it for like a plane ride I wouldn't bother ripping the encryption, and shrinking it. I'd just delete it when I got to my destination.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Actually I don't think you need anything but DVD player to play a movie after you have returned it if you just intend to delete it.

That may work on some DVDs, but, at least in theory, commercial DVDs are copy-protected with CSS and copying from a DVD to a hard drive will fail unless you specifically De-CSS the DVD files using a program like DVDBackup.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

That may work on some DVDs, but, at least in theory, commercial DVDs are copy-protected with CSS and copying from a DVD to a hard drive will fail unless you specifically De-CSS the DVD files using a program like DVDBackup.

I've done it. I'm almost 100% sure the copy protection only affects burning. You can use this method.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    No, the "copy protection" doesn't affect burning at all, nor making an exact duplicate onto the HD. The only thing it affects is playback - and indirectly, encoding. Thus, it's more properly called "playback protection", as it prevents unlicensed programs / companies from playing DVDs.

FYI breaking this "copy protection" is a felony in the US (in case you didn't know).
  • Reply 15 of 29
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

<insert any activity here> is a felony in the US (in case you didn't know).

Yeah, OSEx is the best for DVD ripping (to hard drive), and FFMpegX will handle all your DivX/MPEG encoding needs. Both require you to learn a bit about multimedia, but they are still much easier than ripping on a Wintel computer.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Yeah, OSEx is the best for DVD ripping (to hard drive), and FFMpegX will handle all your DivX/MPEG encoding needs. Both require you to learn a bit about multimedia, but they are still much easier than ripping on a Wintel computer.

Barto

Heh, i never got any results with FFMpegX, maybe i'm just to dumb, but it never worked 4 me properly, plus i don't like the idea of installing mplayer (did i get it right?) and all that in system folder.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    if you stick with Forty-Two you dont need to know anything basically. EXECELLNT quailty rips into DiVX.

Whats better about OSex rather than DVDBackup? Never had any problems with DVDBackup. Gets rid of region codes, and macrovision and everything else...
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Forty-two takes 4ever, plus he needs just a copy of it, no re-encoding :-)
  • Reply 19 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You can use Disk Copy or Carbon Copy Cloner to Copy a DVD to a blnk image, that has worked for me in the past.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Disk Copy won't copy all DVDs.

CCC, if that works, what a great idea !

Not to mention that it's a great app, and you don't need to buy anything else.