New cosmetics for Apple Cinema Display?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This morning's Apple News email has an article about the AGP 8x graphics in the new G5 tower. The photo clearly shows a cinema display with no stripes. The frame, under the clear shell, is either gray plastic or brushed aluminum, giving a look that goes well with the tower. Resolution is insufficient to determine whether we are looking at a solid gray color, or a brushed aluminum look. Sorry if this is old news...

The Pic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    sorry, but that is, without doubt, the current cinema display. the image is just to small to allow for enough detail to show the cinema display "stripes", so it all bleeds into a grayish tone.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Yes, when I downloaded the image and enlarged it, I could see that the holes in the "Cheese Grater" completely failed to resolve, so I wondered if it was just a case of the stripes blending into a gray area. This is definitely a strong possibility, but I don't think it is a closed case.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Oh, I think it's a closed case.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Clearly there have to be new displays fairly shortly; announced in Paris, shipping October? Since the G5's and the Ti/Al 'books are the only machines you would use with the displays then we have to expect (hope) on an aluminium THIN bezel.

The 30" display rumours are hotting up which brings an interesting question: resolution has to be 2400+ pixels across to make sense in the line up. Doesn't this break the DVI spec? If so will we see dual ADC+DVI connectors to drive the monitor? (in the style of the IBM high resolution monitor). Discuss.... or not.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Stride instead inching forward. A not so subtle redesign is what I am hoping for, so I don't understand this obsession many have about stripes. I want Powerbook-styled displays with the thin 3/8 inch bezel, pivot capability, VESA compliance, 10-bit gamma correction, color temperature adjustment and DVI input. Maybe I'll just have to get an Eizo CG21\
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Don't know if this has something to do with this, but MacScoobiedoo says new PBs (12, 15 & 17" all AL and all speedbump) and possibly some new Hardware in the G5-look will be announced this month on the 18./19.

hmmm... maybe new displays??

we'll see.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I know, I know, it's MacOSRumors; but...

They still spout off about a 30" ACD (fresh spoutage as of yesterday)...

I have seen stuff elsewhere about a 30" ACD, don't remember where offhand, but I am sure it was the usual suspects...

Hmm... 30" ACD @ 3200x2000 resolution...

Maybe with some sort of QuadroFX card feeding it?!?

Of course, I would hope they could still allow dual monitor support, even if one of the monitors is a 30" monster...

Because I want a 30" ACD on a riser at the back of my workstation, and a 18" Cinteq (1280x1024) in front of it for direct pen input...

I will forgo the requested pivot ability that another posting called for, if I could run both a 30" ACD & a 18" Cintiq...

;^p
  • Reply 8 of 24
    New displays without stripes (Or less visible stripes, cant remember) were already argued about and confirm in the days following Steve's keynote.

There's a thread around here somewhere..
  • Reply 9 of 24
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Pinstripeless Displays? in Current Hardware.

BTW garyp, The AI Search Function is pretty darn slick.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

This morning's Apple News email has an article about the AGP 8x graphics in the new G5 tower. The photo clearly shows a cinema display with no stripes. The frame, under the clear shell, is either gray plastic or brushed aluminum, giving a look that goes well with the tower. Resolution is insufficient to determine whether we are looking at a solid gray color, or a brushed aluminum look. Sorry if this is old news...

garyp, HTML isn't allowed on these boards. Please change the link to UBB code instead, so that it doesn't screw up the formatting of the page.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

garyp, HTML isn't allowed on these boards. Please change the link to UBB code instead, so that it doesn't screw up the formatting of the page.

I fixed it. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

So, he fixed it, but you left the html in your quote, so now YOU are screwing up the formatting of the post...

Ah, irony...!

;^p
  • Reply 13 of 24
    i mentioned this elsewhere, but it bears repeating...

the strongest evidence that new displays are on the way? look no further than the isight camera, or rather, it's mounting kit.

the back of all current cinema displays is a convex clear acrylic, yet the isight mounting kit is FLAT, and uses adhesive to take care of the difference.

this screams to me that new, flat-back displays are on the way, to which the isight will mount nicely.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

the back of all current cinema displays is a convex clear acrylic, yet the isight mounting kit is FLAT, and uses adhesive to take care of the difference.

this screams to me that new, flat-back displays are on the way, to which the isight will mount nicely.

Ahh... An obvious deduction which, in hind-iSight, is quite obvious. It is quite convincing.

However, the mirrored drive doors also seemed to imply similar impending hardware redesign... yet nothing else mirrored ever materialized. Perhaps this is because powermac developement bogged down and the motorolla based yikes-2.0 successor was canceled.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

However, the mirrored drive doors also seemed to imply similar impending hardware redesign... yet nothing else mirrored ever materialized.

ah, but there were mirrored elements, just nothing as huge and gaudy as those mirrored drive doors. i submit as evidence, the following:

- the polished chrome back of the ipods

- the mirrored apple logo of the imac AND emac

- the polished chrome imac neck

- the mirrored apple logo on the airport extreme base station, xserves and xraids, and on every apple cinema display, front AND back

again, nothing aspronounced as was seen on those G4 towers, but mirrored/chrome elements were working themselves in across the entire product line. heck, they may still see more use with updated products (knowing apple and their incessantly STUPID insistence on designing keyboards for maximum dirt-accumulation (see the white keyboards), i fully expect to see them issue a chrome mouse and polished mirrored keys, beautiful and COMPLETELY unusable...)
  • Reply 16 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

i fully expect to see them issue a chrome mouse and polished mirrored keys, beautiful and COMPLETELY unusable...

I had I bad dream about this a couple months back...that I took my beautiful keyboard out of its box, and it INSTANTLY was completely fingerprinted, and when I washed it, it was never usable again.

Brushed metal, a la G5/Powerbook, is the way to go. Please no chrome, Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I'd love a chrome keyboard!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    inubinub Posts: 45member
    I think a brushed keyboard with black keys would fit very nicely. And it should be backlit like the 17" Powerbook.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The keys should have the same metal quality as the 12 and 17" PB keyboards...not chrome.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Shouldn't they have a new Cinema Display that matches the G5? They have to. Should know soon.