Advice needed on PowerMac G5 memory upgrade

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    How much different would performance be between 2700 DDR and the 3200 DDR?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

I already have my two 512 sticks of 333 2700 DDR Kingston RAM for a dual 867/1.25/1.43 MDD/FW800 or 1.6 G5 that I got at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago for $46 each after 50% off rebates including sales tax. Forget about two 256. Get a pair of 512's CHEAP by being patient and studying all the sales in the Sunday paper each week until the DEAL comes along. It will not be a slouch right out of the box.

You do have to be careful of the RAM you get. The cheapest RAM will likely be the slowest, and may cause a performance hit. If you get really crappy RAM, it could catch on fire (this has happened) and destroy your computer.

If you see a good deal on quality RAM, however, by al means spring for it.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,056member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

How much different would performance be between 2700 DDR and the 3200 DDR?

NONE. 2700/333 is the specified speed of the 1.6 RAM mods. Kingston is a very high quality BRAND NAME RAM Manufacturer.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

NONE. 2700/333 is the specified speed of the 1.6 RAM mods. Kingston is a very high quality BRAND NAME RAM Manufacturer.

What about on the other models?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    I would rate Crucial,Samsung to be pretty good too. Hope I get a good deal on RAM, I would check circuit city anyways.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

What about on the other models?

PC2700 will not work in the 1.8 and 2.0GHz models.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Guys I went to Circuit City yesterday (Sunday August 10th. I could have bought 512 MB RAM (PC 2700) of Kingston available for $45(that's after the mail in rebate), the funny thing was it was not Dual Channel compatible. I could have bought the Centon's 512 MB RAM (PC 2700) for $29.99 (discounted after the mail in rebate thing). My question is how do I know that the RAM I buy is dual channel compatible or not. IS Centon a good brand to buy. Your advice is appreciated.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Guys I went to Circuit City yesterday (Sunday August 10th. I could have bought 512 MB RAM (PC 2700) of Kingston available for $45(that's after the mail in rebate), the funny thing was it was not Dual Channel compatible. I could have bought the Centon's 512 MB RAM (PC 2700) for $29.99 (discounted after the mail in rebate thing). My question is how do I know that the RAM I buy is dual channel compatible or not. IS Centon a good brand to buy. Your advice is appreciated.

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. My bad. It's always something.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Look around the internet for dual channel RAM kits.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    I bought PNY RAM from CompUSA today. Two 512 MB modules for 89.99 each, it is said to be compatible with PowerMac G5 (thats what I was told at CompUSA). It's unbuffered and non ECC the specs mentioned for RAM in the G5 specications pdf I downloaded from Apple. The link to it is http://developer.apple.com/documenta...PowerMacG5.pdf
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

I bought PNY RAM from CompUSA today. Two 512 MB modules for 89.99 each, it is said to be compatible with PowerMac G5 (thats what I was told at CompUSA). It's unbuffered and non ECC the specs mentioned for RAM in the G5 specications pdf I downloaded from Apple. The link to it is http://developer.apple.com/documenta...PowerMacG5.pdf

Good price. I'm going to shoot for two 1 GB mods @ $200 each. They are already $230 each at Fry's.