What good is Firewire 800?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    1394b only runs at 100Mbps over Cat5 cable, which is mostly useless.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>1394b only runs at 100Mbps over Cat5 cable, which is mostly useless.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That I did not know. Thanks for the info. Looks like my dream of making my own FW cables was just a dream.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    #1. It's faster, isn't that all that matters? If you give people a faster cable, they will find uses for it. You think Firewire had a use when it first came out? (aside from connecting my gameboy to my brothers gameboy?)

#2. High-Definition Video. DV is fine, but it's not good enough. As we all buy new HD TVs, and as our macs get faster and faster with larger harddrives, a faster firewire will be needed in order to ahve MiniHD.

No company who makes consumer Camcorders will make an HD version until the computers people use it on will support such a camera. So, in order to move into that direction, which is the only plausible course, is to get faster connections.

Just think of it - MiniHD...cameras with a native 16:9 aspect ratio, High Definistion resolution....all with P-Scan... It will be wonderful!

Andrew
  • Reply 24 of 40
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    <a href="http://www.2-pophd.com/articles/article_65.shtml"; target="_blank">It's coming.</a>
  • Reply 25 of 40
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    I agree that FW 800 is probably related to xgrid. Combine Xgrid, with FW800, and rendezvous, and you hace a plug in and play cluster solution.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Doesn't the Firewire 800 spec allow for wireless connections? I'm not mentioning this in relation to clustering, just peripherials.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by 709:

<strong><a href="http://www.2-pophd.com/articles/article_65.shtml"; target="_blank">It's coming.</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

See It is coming. The problem with that article is that the HD is compressed in MPEG-2, which isn't THAT good. The idea would be to have a larger tape...perhaps the normal DV size or an 8mm size that will record with less compression.

Andrew
  • Reply 28 of 40
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by Capt. Obvious:

<strong>Hell, in 5 years, FW1600 will already be deployed, Ethernet will be on the way out, and all new construction is Firewired as a matter of course. The real hungry applications, like film production studios, TV networks, recording studios, phone networks and stock markets will be drumming their fingers by then, wondering if 3200 will be unleashed before their new SotA facilities go on-line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just for reference 10 Gb ethernet already exists and 40 Gb ethernet is coming. Ethernet isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by Telomar:

<strong>

Just for reference 10 Gb ethernet already exists and 40 Gb ethernet is coming. Ethernet isn't going anywhere.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just wondering but can you run 10GB ethernet over cat5? For that matter can you run 1GB ethernet over cat5?

I know it doesn't really relate to this firewire vs ethernet issue, but I just wonder if they will be using the same cables or not.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Cat 5E ethernet cables are limited to around 100Mb/s, fast ethernet speeds. For faster speeds you need to use several cat 5e cables for one ethernet connection or use a different medium, such as fibre optic cable or cat 6 cable (copper, If I Remember Correctly).

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: Stoo ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 40
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Its like, twice as fast. You see 800 is bigger than 400. You get more Firewires

(Nigel from Spinal Tap)
  • Reply 32 of 40
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Gb Ethernet runs over Cat5; 10Gb requires fiber (currently).
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Worth point out here that HDTV requires some 30 megabits/sec, so if you have to manipulate 25 HDTV devices, say 6 cameras plus some direct to disk recording, plus audio and video mixers and a few other bits and bobs, (like video, graphics and titling feeds) you are going to need an 800 mbit standard just to make all of that work.

However, what you probably want is the whole thing to be fiber-based (as TV studios are probably quite noisy places), so what you will opt for is 1600 Mbits and 3200 Mbits, and then you can run your entire news studio on a FW 3200 transport system which means that SDI will probably bite the dust, and with TCP/IP over FireWire and Rendezvous you'll be able to configure your studio just by plugging the various bits and pieces into a wall port/floor box.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>12" mini PowerBook</strong><hr></blockquote>

So do you have one, and care to elaborate on the typing abilty of it? I am seriously looking into one.

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: Rhumgod ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 40
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It seems even when I am willing to pay (albeit pay only the edu rate) Apple and I are beyond harmonious co-existance, for what according to my dealer should have been here this weekend has not yet arrived
  • Reply 36 of 40
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It seems even when I am willing to pay (albeit pay only the edu rate) Apple and I are beyond harmonious co-existance, for what according to my dealer should have been here this weekend has not yet arrived
  • Reply 37 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist:

[quote] Worth point out here that HDTV requires some 30 megabits/sec, so if you have to manipulate 25 HDTV devices, say 6 cameras plus some direct to disk recording, plus audio and video mixers and a few other bits and bobs, (like video, graphics and titling feeds) you are going to need an 800 mbit standard just to make all of that work.

However, what you probably want is the whole thing to be fiber-based (as TV studios are probably quite noisy places), so what you will opt for is 1600 Mbits and 3200 Mbits, and then you can run your entire news studio on a FW 3200 transport system which means that SDI will probably bite the dust, and with TCP/IP over FireWire and Rendezvous you'll be able to configure your studio just by plugging the various bits and pieces into a wall port/floor box. <hr></blockquote>

Now THAT is a reason to get excited about next-gen Firewire! :eek:
  • Reply 38 of 40
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist wrote:

[quote] Worth point out here that HDTV requires some 30 megabits/sec, so if you have to manipulate 25 HDTV devices, say 6 cameras plus some direct to disk recording, plus audio and video mixers and a few other bits and bobs, (like video, graphics and titling feeds) you are going to need an 800 mbit standard just to make all of that work.<hr></blockquote>

There's something not right about your numbers here Mark. Is this a compressed stream or what? Standard res DV for instance is a 25 Mbit stream, DV Pro 50 is a 50Mbit stream and compressed HD, as in the JVC implementation for example, is 100Mbit/sec. Is the figure you quote for an MPEG2 broadcast stream (as in US HiDef TV)?

Firewire 400 could obviously handle compressed HD now but its a marketing problem for the (Japanese) equipment manufacturers who need to maintain the "Professional Premium".

Pro HD equipment (such as the new Thompson Viper Hi Def camera) use one or two SDI streams at around 150 M BYTES per second.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    [quote]Originally posted by vinney57:

<strong>Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist wrote:

There's something not right about your numbers here Mark. Is this a compressed stream or what? Standard res DV for instance is a 25 Mbit stream, DV Pro 50 is a 50Mbit stream and compressed HD, as in the JVC implementation for example, is 100Mbit/sec. Is the figure you quote for an MPEG2 broadcast stream (as in US HiDef TV)?

Firewire 400 could obviously handle compressed HD now but its a marketing problem for the (Japanese) equipment manufacturers who need to maintain the "Professional Premium".

Pro HD equipment (such as the new Thompson Viper Hi Def camera) use one or two SDI streams at around 150 M BYTES per second.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was the figure I think someone once quoted for compressed HDTV/High Definition DVD. However, even if you talking at 150 MBYTES/SEC (actually 1.485Gb/sec at 4:4:4) at the production stage, 1394b is still your best shot at creating a single structured infrastructure/wiring solution for both audio, video and show control.

The only difference is that you would probably wire up using some sort of switched environment, as opposed to any kind of daisy-chain which you probably would not use anyway.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    just to say, you can pick up some cat6 wire at radioshacks for a while now. they are gold plated connections. The speeds some people listed is over fibre anyway. so 1gb copper, 800 copper. its about the same for firewire or ethernet. ethernet will just advance faster for conection speed whereas firewire will be cheaper to implement. GBit switches are still expensive in my book.