I give up, how do Apple's Displays work?!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The power and brightness button...how do they work?!

No pens work when pushing it, but my finger does. My finger will through 6 pieces of paper (maybe more havn't tried) but a pen does not. How does it know? The only thing i've gotten to work with it are some metal items, but IF the paper is conducting why wouldn't it when a pen is pushing it up against instead of my finger?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    aren't they still heat capacitance?

meaning the difference in heat from ur finger to that triggers the action.

really cool but plagued on the cube
  • Reply 2 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

aren't they still heat capacitance?

meaning the difference in heat from ur finger to that triggers the action.

really cool but plagued on the cube

I thought that originally but 6 sheets of thicker paper and a cold paperclip did it (big paper clip though, like the kind that are black and triangular)
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Could also be capacitance. The button carrys a small charge that diffuses into anything that semi-conductive. There is a mechanism for detecting the neutral charge.

I had a light that was triggered by capacitance. Problem was that every time we lost power it thought someone had touched it and would turn on. We had it in a room we didn't use that often and so we would come in and that light would have been on for days. Unplugged and threw away.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    It's capacitance.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

It's capacitance.

Why does my finger work through 6 pieces of paper but other objects don't?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

It's capacitance.

No it's not!

It's actually thought controlled. The button mechanism is merely a distraction. The problem with sandwiching sheets of paper between your finger and paper clips etc. is that you can't fool yourself (and therefore the monitor).

Try a double-blind test and you'll find you can actually switch the monitor on/off with anything from your shoe to a small cat. Just visualise that you are actually pressing the button with your finger. For some reason however, watermelons never work.

It's a bit like that scene in the Matrix with the spoon - except with a power button...
  • Reply 7 of 36
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Why does my finger work through 6 pieces of paper but other objects don't?

Probably because your finger is conductive and is attached to the rest of your body. Try cutting a finger off, tape to end of pen, and see if the finger still operates the buttons.

Or, touch the button with end of uncooked hotdog you are holding in your hand. It should work. Then tape hotdog to end of pen and try again. It should not work.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Quote:

[i]Try cutting a finger off, tape to end of pen, and see if the finger still operates the buttons.[/B]

He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He He

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee

Funny

By The Way, I have the Heart to be a moderator
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Probably because your finger is conductive and is attached to the rest of your body. <stupid comments removed>

<comments from somone who likes hotdogs WAY to much removed>

Yes my finger is conductive, but the paper is not..especially 6 sheets of it.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:

Yes my finger is conductive, but the paper is not..especially 6 sheets of it.

Have you ever touched the microphone input in an amplifier or tape recorder with your finger? You get a very loud 60 Hz hum. Where does this come from? Your body picks it up through the air from nearby electric wiring. This 60 Hz AC energy in your body is what the button is responding to, I believe. Capacitors pass AC energy. The finger or hotdog against the paper form one half of a capacitor, the metal inside the button is the other half.

Or it could be thought controlled as someone else said.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Have you ever touched the microphone input in an amplifier or tape recorder with your finger? You get a very loud 60 Hz hum. Where does this come from? Your body picks it up through the air from nearby electric wiring. This 60 Hz AC energy in your body is what the button is responding to, I believe. Capacitors pass AC energy. The finger or hotdog against the paper form one half of a capacitor, the metal inside the button is the other half.

Or it could be thought controlled as someone else said.

No your way makes sense, just to my knowledge paper isn't very conductive.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

No your way makes sense, just to my knowledge paper isn't very conductive.

A capacitor consists of two conductors separated by an insulator.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

A capacitor consists of two conductors separated by an insulator.

Yes but the insulator still has to let enough electricity through for the circuit to complete. It would seem that you would need a decent amount of electricity to get through 6 pieces of paper.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    YOu can make it work with your hair. Once I leant my head against my desk and my hair was touching the power button, damn thing went to sleep mid-download.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Yes but the insulator still has to let enough electricity through for the circuit to complete. It would seem that you would need a decent amount of electricity to get through 6 pieces of paper.

The circuitry in the touch sensitive switch is designed so it only needs to see a tiny AC current level to react.

AC current can flow through the insulator inside a capacitor. The higher the capacitance and the higher the AC frequency, the easier the current flows through a capacitor.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    This is the same technology the 3G iPods use, right?
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

The circuitry in the touch sensitive switch is designed so it only needs to see a tiny AC current level to react.

AC current can flow through the insulator inside a capacitor. The higher the capacitance and the higher the AC frequency, the easier the current flows through a capacitor.

You will have to explain better, the capacitance = insulator right?

I am saying I don't see how a current could still flow through 6sheets of paper, perhaps I try more haha.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Dave, it's me, HAL. I've lost some weight, I mean, red.

• Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

You will have to explain better, the capacitance = insulator right?

I am saying I don't see how a current could still flow through 6sheets of paper, perhaps I try more haha.

Check this web site:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/capacitor.htm
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

No. A capacitor can be thought of a potential current. Charge builds up on either side of the insulator with an electric field running through the insulator (in this case paper and air). The button most likely picks up this electric field and uses this as the switching device. If the button is grounded and the finger has a slightly positive or negative potential (does not matter which) then you get a capacitor. The insulator plastic over the metal inside the button works when there is no paper.

I think...