Heat in Europe

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How are the AI members in parts of Europe coping with the heat wave? I am curious how the weather is for Powerdoc etc. I noticed this story and I have seen other stories on news networks such as DW of Germany and others.

Heat in Europe

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    What part of DFW are you from?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by X X

What part of DFW are you from?

Grew up in Grapevine and now live in North Richland Hills
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

How are the AI members in parts of Europe coping with the heat wave?

In short: We sweat...

I'm living in the southern part of Germany, so it's not as bad as in Italy and other mediterranean countries, but it's still very hot. This week, a construction worker died of the heat in my city. We aren't very well prepared for the heat wave: The concept of "siesta" (a break for the hot noontime) is not familiar to many people and therefore socially not accepted (yet). Many office buildings do not have air conditioning (including the one where I work, built last year ) (Reason: The controllers said: Air conditioning wouldn't be worthwile for those few hot days in Germany ... Obviously, they didn't take the global heating into account)

On the upside, I bought an old Miata two months ago, and until now, I've only had to close the top a couple of times 8)
  • Reply 4 of 23
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    In Italy the weather's been up to my high score feaver in the cities: 107 F. In here instead it's been rainy and cloudy for the passt 2 weeks.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

In Paris it's been 40 -45 at 5 pm !!! on the thermometer in my garden for the last 2 weeks or so. That's 104 - 110 or so I think.

Wow,

Given the high levels of humidity in Europe it must be intolerably like a sauna..

At least here when we get heat its usual dry heat so temperatures like your are common but much more bearable..
  • Reply 6 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Seriously though, why are the 'authorities' in denial about this global warming ? Maybe because they'd have to take responsibility and take action. It's even full-on heat NOW as I type this (8.25 am).

You're right about one thing, global warming exists. So does global cooling. Consider written history only goes back so far, it's really tough to tell if the trend is a direct result of pollution or just a blip. We get hints of huge periods o drought from growth rings in trees and stuff like that, but we of course can't know for sure. Last winter was one of the coldest I can remember here.

As for dealing with the heat, for a while I lived on the top floor of an apartment which also happened to be where the laundry machines were. Coupled with the presence of a skylight in the hallway and me sitting in a room full of computers, it got pretty hot in the summer. Definitely consistently in the 100s for the summer I spent there. That's mostly the reason why I moved out so quickly, but would it put me in the hospital? That's hard to imagine.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

How are the AI members in parts of Europe coping with the heat wave?

Sitting at my desk with the curtains drawn all day, in my underwear, drinking copious amounts of ice cold sparkling water. Driving my motorcycle too (though it's too hot for that), and going to the beach, hanging around my grandparents all day, who live in a coastal city, where it's at least 5 degrees (celsius) cooler than in the rest of the country. Still 37° in the shade last week.

However, I don't agree with this:

Quote:

Seriously though, why are the 'authorities' in denial about this global warming ?

This is one of those freak things. However hot it got, no heat records were broken in my country (still remains 1946 and 1911 if I understand correct). It's the exception to the law (which likes averages). We have had dreary, cold and wet summers lately too, and we have had "hot" winters, and extremely cold winters. I'm not sure, in any case, if global warming is something that will be noticed by any of us soon too soon. The icebergs on the other hand...

One thing that IS linked to pollution is the high ozon (03, and make that a small, subscript three) levels, which I, for one, as a moderate lung patient, do suffer from, though only when trying to do some sports or something like that.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Global warming does exist. Ice core evidence shows not only that temperatures have gone up ( and down ) but in some periods, the temperatures have gone up over decades..not hundreds or thousands of years...

As to our human influence..probably a tiny bit..It's all a matter of conjecture & highly arguable one way or another.

Personally, I think our human influence on the global warming scenario is a bit akin to a flea biting an elephant's arse in order to make it change direction...

It's an industry that keeps all the doomsayers, and radical greenies etc busy pumping out their anti capitalist spiel....
  • Reply 9 of 23
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Wow,

Given the high levels of humidity in Europe it must be intolerably like a sauna..

At least here when we get heat its usual dry heat so temperatures like your are common but much more bearable..

No - the weather he said was in F, not in C. If it was 80 C it would be an intolerably "cold" sauna.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    lets put it this way, I've barely been able to sleep for the last two weeks, and I actually LIKE to stay in the office until really late.

The only place I have felt this HOT even at 11PM is in Las Vegas in the summer!!! Thats how hot it is.

At my company we had to shut down half the lighting, slectively shut cooling in offices that were empty, and even had a day without email.

was a really weird social experiment. To see how people cope without email/internet. Heh
  • Reply 11 of 23
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    My sister has a trip to Paris planned for next week. I sure hope it cools down at least a little before she gets there. Unfortunately, it sounds like hoping for the heat wave to end by then isn't a good bet. Her horribly expensive hotel near the Louvre has AC, but she'll obviously want to do more than stay holed up in her hotel.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

[...]

Seems like somebody hijacked Aquafire's AppleInsider account. Am I the only one who noticed the 180 on a lot of issues over the past few weeks?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

However, I don't agree with this:

This is one of those freak things. However hot it got, no heat records were broken in my country (still remains 1946 and 1911 if I understand correct).

UK has just reached its highest ever recorded temp this week. ( just over 100 degrees.)
  • Reply 14 of 23
    I hear that the heat in Europe is crazy! But over here in Ohio, where we normally have really hot summers, all we're getting is rain! Right now it should be 90+ degrees, but it's cloudy and probably going to rain later today.

BTW--We actually had a drought last summer...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    It seems that is not so hot but just really damp in Ohio. 1 % more water in the air and it'd be raining. Oh, so nice to be inside in an air conditioned Apple Store.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    3,000 direct and indirect deaths attributed to the heatwave. mortuary business up 37%.

wow

• Reply 17 of 23
    Most of the dead are old and weak by their immune system so they'd died anyway soon. Think about how many funeral homes get business, or flower shops selling flowers for funerals, .. I'd guess also the ice cream business is doing very well in this period there.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Wow,

Huh? It's not humid in Europe. If you want humid, come to DC in the summer. Or, probably worse, Southern Florida.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I know one thing. It's too hot in Vermont and Montreal. It didn't used to be this hot. Whether it's El Nina, Bush, or something else, it sucks. I like being cooold.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

How are the AI members in parts of Europe coping with the heat wave? I am curious how the weather is for Powerdoc etc. I noticed this story and I have seen other stories on news networks such as DW of Germany and others.

Heh, it's fun. You see lots of chicks with only the smallest sandals showing their delicate feet, lots of them are lying topless at the beaches and he heat seems to make everyone horny.

Apart from that, hydroelectricity generators have mostly shut down (thank god our power grid seems to be a bit more stable) and even nuclear power plants are having problems (not enough cooling water).

The roadsides of highways are full of trucks with burst tires or dead motors, temperature at the office is unbearable (only few buildings have aircon) and the aircon in the newest generation of high-speed trains keeps dying because it overloads (great fun to sit for hours in a train as hot as 40° because Siemens is to dumb to build strong cooling compressors).