Best Printer for a Dorm?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    All male dorm? Forget the printer and go to the labs to print... computer ownership is much less prevelent among women? They'll be at the labs too. Waiting on the printer is a great place to pick up college babes.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    I use a Canon S630. I've used it for 3 semesters so far and have yet to replace any of the ink cartridges (It has individual k/c/m/y). It's an average size inkjet, though I didn't really find size to be an issue one way or the other. I think it ran me a little over $200, though I can't remember for sure. I do a lot of digital photography and PS work so I wanted the option for relatively high quality color prints. I think the best thing about it though is that it is so quiet. I've used Epson inkjets in the past and they're so damn noisy (not to mention shitty, don't even get me started on all the problems I had with the printer I initially went to school with (some bubbly blue and clear Epson))...Using one of those I'd be afraid of waking someone up if I printed late at night, but it's not a problem with the cannon. Anyway, my 2¢
  • Reply 23 of 33
    I got a canon i850 recently and it rulz. It's so quiet you can print at 3am and not wake up your roommate. Print quality on photos is great, it's very fast, and prints text nicely too. Individual ink tanks so you spend less in the long run. Also, if you hook it up to an Airport Extreme base, you can print wirelessly. Get one or be square.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    haha eric's living in a sausage factory

they work hard, they play hard...
  • Reply 25 of 33
    You can get an idea of what's available on campus here.

There's a storefront on campus somewhere, but I haven't seen it. A quick comparison of Apple prices shows that the prices at UC are up to $300 less than at CSU, but the same as at Stanford.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    I live in a dorm, I use a Canon i320. It's small and it uses $6 black ink. I use it to print out my documents, it does it pretty fast. Never had any problems with it, but don't suggest you use it for anything other than documents. Got mine for 30 bucks.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I'm gonna be living in Bowles Hall. (I know, i know, that's the all-male dorm, sigh).

Bowles used to have the best dining hall. They'd have fried chicken, all sorts of ice cream and stuff like that a lot. Unfortunately I think Bowles just shares the Foothill dining hall now.

Oh, and Bowles is very haunted!

Quote:

i've never had a laser before. aren't the toner cartridges a lot?

My LaserJet 1200's cartridges cost about $80 a pop, while my Stylus C80's black cartridges cost ~$27. Toner is definitely more cost effective. I'm still using the cartridge that came with it...
  • Reply 28 of 33
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

All male dorm? Forget the printer and go to the labs to print... computer ownership is much less prevelent among women? They'll be at the labs too. Waiting on the printer is a great place to pick up college babes.

yes it is

that is where I work on campus and there is ALWAYS someone waiting for a printout and more often then not they are a cutie

anyways it makes a lot of sence to just use the lab's computers to print (or if you have a laptop just bring your computer to the lab and print) they should have a scanner setup as well if you need one...

I plan on never getting a printer... I will always hope to have access to a decent laser in some office nearby (be it where I work or where a friend of mine works)
  • Reply 29 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skipjack

You can get an idea of what's available on campus here.

There's a storefront on campus somewhere, but I haven't seen it. A quick comparison of Apple prices shows that the prices at UC are up to $300 less than at CSU, but the same as at Stanford.

While a student at Cal I used to work at The Scholar's Workstation. Funny to see a link to it here. The store itself is located in the basement of University Hall. Address and Map. The prices are standard educational discount as found on Apple's online store for education, but PC and Printer prices are worked out on a manufacturer by manufacturer basis.

Back on topic though... Most of your time at school will be spent printing black and white documents. However, the need for color will arise from time to time. Yes, people will mooch your printer. My Freshman year I just ran down to the compuer lab in the dorms. The dorm-based labs are far closer to your room than on campus ones. Also, with the campus network, I could leave file sharing on and run down to the lab with no disks or anything. Hell, maybe you can print right to those printers and just run down and grab your pages! The ideal solution is a reasonably fast inkjet printer. Yes, a laser is nice, but a fast color inkjet will cover all your bases. We paid slightly more to upgrade to an epson 880 rather than a 740 for the extra print speed and it was well worth it.

I can provide tons more info on TSW and Cal, just ask away.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well I'm a guy who has owned both a laser and an ink jet in the past and owns both now.

When I was in college, I owned a Stylewriter II which used the Canon engine. It was an excellent printer for grayscale and text. I am very picky on text and it was great for the inkjets available at the time.

As soon as I was a working stiff I went straight to laser. As others have mentioend the toners are more expensive, but they last thousands of pages whereas you might get 500 from an inkjet cartridge.

The last laserprinter I purchased was a Laserjet 2100m. I have bought exactly one toner cartridge for it and often use it for 33 copy printouts for my classroom. It is fairly large and fast. I like the crispness of 1200 dpi for text.

On the prompting of my wife we have just purchased a photo-quality ink jet printer. I will only buy Canon as I have read about HP and Epson putting chips in their cartridges and having them say they are empty when they aren't, expire, etc.

We purchased a Canon i470D printer for $129 with a $20 rebate. Let me tell you this printer is awesome. The cartridges for it are cheap. It does borderless photo printing in 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 that looks as good as anything you have developed off of film. (with photo paper)

It prints very sharp text (I am super picky about text clarity) at up to 18 pages per minute (take with a grain of salt).

It also has a memory card reader that, get this, not only works with the printer so you can print your photos without using a computer, but will actually alert iPhoto and import your pics through the printer. (No need for a seperate card reader)

I have been profoundly happy with this printer. It is cheap, fast and has astounding quality. It also has a fairly small footprint.

Even if you don't get this printer, do consider a Canon inkjet because they don't jerk you around with chips in the cartridges. About half their printers even have clear or translucent carts so you can see if you have ink or not. We got ours at Best Buy.

Nick
  • Reply 31 of 33
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    The other thing with the Canon's is that you don't have to replace all the color cartriges because one color is empty. I hate that with my Epson 880. I always use a lot of blue in my prints, so when I run out of blue, I have to replace yellow and red at the same time, even if I haven't used any.

This might be important in college because you don't have that much money to spend on ink, so spending less is always good(duh).

Keep in mind that I'm only in eigth grade, so I have no idea what might be useful in college and what isn't.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

First, what's so Cold Turkey about quitting if you still post, Roland?

Hey Jonathan, I didn't even notice your reply until today. I had told myself that I wouldn't post again until my trip to Montana, from which I got back last night. When I had spare time after my MPRE exam on 8/8, I decided to create a new identity. But being a Cold Turkey wasn't all it is cracked up to be. So earlier this morning, I logged out and back in as Escher in order to be honest with myself. It feels great!

As for a choice of printers, I still favor a laser printer. But I'd forgotten about the stress and trauma of packing up all of my shit at the end of the academic year. Of course, unlike some of my classmates who got their parents to pick up their stuff in their Suburbans, I had to pack anything I didn't want to put in storage in a bunch of dufflebags to take on the plane back to Switzerland. \

Bottom line: The less crap to pack, the better. IOW: Skip the printer if you can. If you don't want to skip the printer, then get a laser.

Escher
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Uh, you've never been to Berkeley, have you? We're not talking Sorority Pool Party here, if you know what I mean.