G3 Support for Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone tried the most recent builds of Panther to confirm if it will or will not run on G3s? I have read all the lame comments of "just buy a new machine" ... but at this (financially constrained) time, I will have to live with my reliable, upgraded G3 desktop running 10.2.

Comments ?\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve1999

Has anyone tried the most recent builds of Panther to confirm if it will or will not run on G3s? I have read all the lame comments of "just buy a new machine" ... but at this (financially constrained) time, I will have to live with my reliable, upgraded G3 desktop running 10.2.

Comments ?\

As long as your G3 have built in USB it will work.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

As long as your G3 have built in USB it will work.

So I will assume that I will NOT be able to even load it on my beige (non-USB) G3 desktop?

Any thoughts on hacks to "bend" the install limitations.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

So I will assume that I will NOT be able to even load it on my beige (non-USB) G3 desktop?

Any thoughts on hacks to "bend" the install limitations.

i dont think you'll want to.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i dont think you'll want to.

Yeah, you don't want to do that...the performance would be so pathetic it wouldn't even be worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    performance though would be better then jaguar, compared to jag panther starts up hella fast and has shown speed improvements accross the board
  • Reply 6 of 58
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    People running OS X on old computers should just get new computers. You'll be so much happier. Quartz Extreme is a biggy, the G4 is also. The new iApps need them and new tech like Airport Extreme and Bluetooth need new comps too. Buck it up make the jump!
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

People running OS X on old computers should just get new computers. You'll be so much happier. Quartz Extreme is a biggy, the G4 is also. The new iApps need them and new tech like Airport Extreme and Bluetooth need new comps too. Buck it up make the jump!

Yeah because you know we all have the money to do that..
  • Reply 8 of 58
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

I have read all the lame comments of "just buy a new machine" ... but at this (financially constrained) time, I will have to live with my reliable, upgraded G3 desktop running 10.2.

Just buy a new machine. Seriously, why put your "reliable" G3 and yourself through that agony. You will not be able to take advantage of perhaps over half of Panther's features. Save your money and get a faster Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Yeah because you know we all have the money to do that..

Well if you save your money instead of spending it on things like Panther I can't imagine you don't know a student so I'd imagine that the cheapest eMac would be available within a year.

Again I said I'd imagine, that doesn't apply to everyone, as there are many different background and money situations
  • Reply 10 of 58
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I have a G3 iMac and I can't really get a new computer (I'm only 14 years of age and my parents aren't buying me another one, and I'm not using all my savings to get one), so I have two choices now. I could get a 512 MB RAM upgrade AND Panther, or I could just get the 1 GB upgrade and wait a while for Panther and skip it entirely. Decisions...

Panther should work on G3 computers. Just make sure you're computer runs faster than mine and has more RAM (500 mhz, 128 MB). Then you'll probably be okay
  • Reply 11 of 58
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

I have a G3 iMac and I can't really get a new computer (I'm only 14 years of age and my parents aren't buying me another one, and I'm not using all my savings to get one), so I have two choices now. I could get a 512 MB RAM upgrade AND Panther, or I could just get the 1 GB upgrade and wait a while for Panther and skip it entirely. Decisions...

Panther should work on G3 computers. Just make sure you're computer runs faster than mine and has more RAM (500 mhz, 128 MB). Then you'll probably be okay

Go with 512MB and Panther. I didn't notice nearly as much of a speed increase when I added my 256MB to my 512MB and 256MB I already had in. 512MB will increase your speed and be enough for you and panther will increase the speed due to optimization.

Well that is my suggestion at least.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I wouldn't even want to try running a OSX on a G3 with 128 megs of RAM. It's slow enough on a 450Mhz G4 with 384 megs. \
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Well, my brother runs a 400mhz iMac G3 with 10.2.6, and he has 384 MB of RAM, and for some reason, he doesn't seem to complain. It baffles me..

Maybe his computer is faster than mine now
  • Reply 14 of 58
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    It really depends what you use your Mac for.

My personal experience: I have a PowerMac 350 MHz G4 with 704 MB of RAM and 10.2.6.

Web surfing, downloads, iTunes, e-mail. No problem

Photoshop® 5.0 LE, works well if I don't get into heavy filters.

QuickTime, if it's a big file it complains.

Warcraft. Forget it. I have to boot back into OS 9 to play that game. Oh, it will run on OS X, but barely, so slow that I can't play it.

iMovie. It works, but it's slooooow. Specially when you are rendering something. So slow that I have no patience for it.

iSight camera. It works just fine, but while I'm video conferencing with someone, forget about doing anything else with my Mac. Opening a Window in the finder feels like my Mac froze.

So there you have it.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    I have a Beige g3 266 in my bedroom (384 mb RAM : 10.2.6 : 40 gb HD : USB/Firewire Card) that I use whenever I'm on break from school. OS X runs at what I'd call a 'tolerable' speed meaning:

? I can browse the web

? I can edit papers

? I can code a bit

? I can play music

? I can even watch some movies

Without getting frustrated. I guess speed is all in the eyes of the beholder... OS X seems perfectly 'ok' as far as speed on this machine. I just wouldn't dare try to play an .ogm-encoded movie or something on it.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I have a Beige tower w/a G4/500, Radeon PCI, USB/FW, and 768MB of RAM. The thing is a F'n workhorse. It runs 10.2.6 flawlessly. I hope that there is a hack to get 10.3 on there, because this Mac has plenty of life in it.

BTW, I use it for web-dev and photoshop mainly. I will probably get a G5 next year, but there's no reason this computer can't be used.

I know we went through this whole forced-obscelecance thing when OSX came out. Its just hard to swallow the fact that a computer which is running the current stuff very well. Plus Panther is supposed to be faster than Jag.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

It really depends what you use your Mac for.

My personal experience: I have a PowerMac 350 MHz G4 with 704 MB of RAM and 10.2.6.

Web surfing, downloads, iTunes, e-mail. No problem

Photoshop® 5.0 LE, works well if I don't get into heavy filters.

QuickTime, if it's a big file it complains.

Warcraft. Forget it. I have to boot back into OS 9 to play that game. Oh, it will run on OS X, but barely, so slow that I can't play it.

iMovie. It works, but it's slooooow. Specially when you are rendering something. So slow that I have no patience for it.

iSight camera. It works just fine, but while I'm video conferencing with someone, forget about doing anything else with my Mac. Opening a Window in the finder feels like my Mac froze.

So there you have it.

Let's see..

I use REALbasic for programming (and REALbasic isn't that fast itself anyway)

iTunes works fine. It works if I use the visualizer but I better not be doing anything else.

Same for me with QT and web surfing with Safari.

I don't have an iSight but audio conferences take up a lot of CPU, and doing other things on the computer is possible, but it won't run as fast.

Photoshop 7 is slow. It makes me so sick I don't to wait for it to quit so I force quit it. Bad idea but it works.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    I don't see why running Panther on a G3 wouldn't be fine. I ran 10.1 without complaints on an iMac DV 400 (with 320 MB of RAM), and Jaguar is faster than 10.1, and by all accounts Panther is faster than Jaguar.

Additionally, I'm gonna assume (since it says so on the page) that XPostFacto will allow you to get around the built-in USB port requirements.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    so im guessing a 233 MHz beige g3 with a usb upgrade card wont run panther...
  • Reply 20 of 58
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Ahem... I suppose everybody has $1300 to spare . I think using X on much less then a 400 Mhz G3 (10GB HD, 256MB RAM, 1024x768 res) would be silly, but most machines bought in, say, 2000 would be all right. Edit: Fixed smiley problem.