Should Sony Acquire Apple?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, this article about it was in Wired magazine. Raises some interesting benefits too.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...tart.html?pg=2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    No they shouldn't, and even if they should it would never happen.

But on a side not, doesn't it seem like Apple is getting MAJOR rep in the computer world these days?

like every day 2 or 3 headline articles in various tech newsources, are about how great and innovative Apple is.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    A partnership would make more sense
  • Reply 3 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Sony is Sony, Apple is Apple. Together they would clash and destroy each other. More like Sony destroying Apple. Sony creates great products and I do happen to like their quality and design, I just don't see Sony making good decisions about the products Apple is in the business of making, specially software.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    And to be honest, sony's PCs are unimaginative. Well, except for some of their japan-style subnotebooks. But there's no difference between a sony PC and a Gateway or Dell, except maybe sony's is slightly less fugly.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Sony doesn't want Apple.

Sony...or almost any company wants Steve's ideas and Ive's designs. But nobody wants the rest of steve...his attitude, vision.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Sony is a company dealing with Civil War between so many of their depts like the Publishing versus Electronics. Stuff like the iPod, if created by Sony, would have had some stupid useability defeating mechanism added to thwart any hope of piracy. That is why Sony is struggling right now in electronics and minidisc is almost dead outside Japan and the UK.

Sony/Apple sounds cool but Sony is a Hardware company that creates really crappy software. In this merger I could see Sony snuffing out anything "cool" that Apple does.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Stuff like the iPod, if created by Sony, would have had some stupid useability defeating mechanism added to thwart any hope of piracy. That is why Sony is struggling right now in electronics and minidisc is almost dead outside Japan and the UK.

Jog dial ha aahhh ahh hah ha ha

In response to the title ........ But seriously. NO.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

Well, this article about it was in Wired magazine. Raises some interesting benefits too.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...tart.html?pg=2

Sony acquiring Apple would be the worst thing that ever happened to Apple. Sony would mess up the entire management structure and then, after it failed miserably, cancel it altogether and pilliage what was left of the company to build PC clones.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I suppose, but if Sony were to buy out Apple and allow it to be Apple, except with more funding, then it would be awesome! Plus, Sony manufactures the only, in my opinion, good looking PCs on the PC side. If Sony were to quit making PCs, then the PC users only have one choice for good looking hardware. I know not many ppl buy PCs based on looks, but I'm sure some do.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    If anything, I can't see Jobs ever giving up control or sharing his vision with people other than the consumers and those below him.

It wouldn't be beneficial for either company in my opinion. As people mentioned before, both companies are on a very different track and the acquisition of Apple would not be beneficial to Sony either.

As for buying nice looking PC's, most consumers won't care. But as for hardware enthusiasts and mac people, I'm sure the aesthetics go a certainly longer way in their decision making.

However, in the end, there's a reaosn why Apple only has approximately 3% of the current market share of computers worldwide. Yes they do cater to a very select market, and yes, I love Apple products, especially my TiBook, but in the long run, Apple needs some more support - both from the consumer front and the developer front.

Acquisition or not - Apple can't continue on this track and hopefully the G5 will help things out slightly.

Anyways, that's just my opinion.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Sony should skip buying Apple, they should just hire Tog and work out their ridiculous interfaces. My 300 disc DVD changer has the most confusing interface I have ever seen. I can't believe it made it to market that way.

More importantly, Sony is pretty much planning on using the Playstation as its gateway into the whole Digital Hub thing.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Apple should buy Sony.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Apple should buy Sony.

Why? Sony makes total crap.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

I suppose, but if Sony were to buy out Apple and allow it to be Apple, except with more funding, then it would be awesome! Plus, Sony manufactures the only, in my opinion, good looking PCs on the PC side. If Sony were to quit making PCs, then the PC users only have one choice for good looking hardware. I know not many ppl buy PCs based on looks, but I'm sure some do.

Sony isn't going to quit a business where it is succesful just so it can push Apple products, which may or may not grow in market share as fast as its PC products.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    How about a marketing and distribution partnership? Apple gets increased marketing through Sony and access to their distribution networks and Sony gets a percentage. Of course this would be only for the consumer lineup. The pro stuff is all Apple.

Also how about a joint development project for some new consumer electronic?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    You are all looking at this from the wrong angle. It is not about consumer products, but Pro products. Sony would get a complete video editing line from the cameras through post prodcution.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    But Apple won't need help in the distribution or marketing of their pro line once the G5s start to ship. "This here shit sells itself" It is their consumer line that is in dire need of a transfusion. And you may ask why Sony would need Apple in the consumer market, well really they don't. They are one of the most recognized names in consumer electronics between the PS (1&2) and their audio/video equipment. For Sony it could just mean a chance to boost their profits some more.

eew.. Just had a wild thought, how about some Apple designed accessories for the next gen PS(an iPod compatible withe the PS3??), and perhaps even have the OS of the PS3 be a barebones version of OS X, similar to the Windows CE used for the XBox and Dreamcast.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I wasn't serious. However now I am. Jukebox Hero is an awesome song. I salute you.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

A partnership would make more sense

I heartily agree. Almost any company that takes over Apple would kill it. Not intentinoally, that is just the way businees works. Companies that are purchased are starved for funds are expected to produce cash. In addition they can't take too many risks or behave too independently. All together a recipe for failure.

A partnership with Sony doesn't make much sense to me. IMHO Apple could successfully partner with some company with complementary businesses and assets. For example, they could partner with Hilton Hotels to provide a computer for every one of their hotel rooms. Or they could partner with a car company to provide the audio/video/GPS system for a minivan. Or they could partner with a producer of CAD software to bundle the software with a Mac and sell it through Apple's retail stores where they could provide service contracts. Partnerships with this flavor make sense. Partnering with a company with similar products doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Even though I despise Starbucks for their McDonaldlization of the gourmet coffed shop, I think a partnership with them for Apple might prove profitable. "Star Mac Internet Cafes" Why not? Outfit the place with iMacs and and headphones. Let people surf the web, listen to music, watch movies. Maybe even provide a print center for those who want do a little light work.