Anybody get hit by MSBlast? lol

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

So, as long as ANY bugs ship with an OS as popular has windows and microsoft doesn't force users to patch(a worm that patches anyone? ), then we'll be stuck with this crap.

Microsoft would probably hunt you down with rabid dogs and sue you for everything you're worth.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I'm sorry ... Microsoft deserved the worm ... and it looks good on them. They write code that just BEGS to be violated, doesn't matter if it's windows, outlook or .NET : they have set the hallmark for insecure software.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

So, as long as ANY bugs ship with an OS as popular has windows and microsoft doesn't force users to patch(a worm that patches anyone? ), then we'll be stuck with this crap.

Whoa, you can't FORCE people to patch. Do you have any idea the kind of privacy issues that would bring up? Furthermore, a lot of people can't patch their systems. A lot of sysadmins did not authorize patches for the fleet of windows boxes because they had not had time to do proper QA testing on it. Any windows sysadmin knows that a simple MS patch can break a lot of things. There were steps that said sysadmins could have taken to at least secure their network until they could run proper QA.

And in regards to Microsoft deserving it. I think that is a poor choice of words. I don't think they deserve it, because I find that attitude rather childish. Rather, I think they've had it coming. Worms like this have been attacking Windows boxes for years, and it was just a matter of time before one got to be a little more malicious. What will the next one do?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Probably.

If there's any downside to being a Mac user, this is it. But all the upsides make up for it.

The problem in my age group(12-14) is that they don't appreciate the things that the Mac offers. That, and since they all just pirate music, they see that Kazaa isn't availible for the Mac, so they assume it sucks.

I feel your pain. There are three types of mac users; the flower-power iMac users, "digital hub" users, and the G5 FCP & Photoshop users.

To most people my age, the former two user deographics just do not exist. And to make matters worse, almost no one at my school knows that Apple has made an OS past 9. OS X is nonexistent to them, yet it's the OS that everyone SHOULD know about.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Probably.

If there's any downside to being a Mac user, this is it. But all the upsides make up for it.

The problem in my age group(12-14) is that they don't appreciate the things that the Mac offers. That, and since they all just pirate music, they see that Kazaa isn't availible for the Mac, so they assume it sucks.

And did you tell them, "Poisoned kicks your ass. Period."?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Most people at my school don't know that there is a Mac OS past 7!

It's what the school(keep in mind, we're in debt to the tune of 2 million) has installed on the various Macs(~50). It does the job they need it to do(mainly word processing), so they haven't bothered to upgrade. Plus, Dell has just donated a bunch of computers to the school.

Of course, most of the new Dells were DOA. That, and they had to close down the lab again(3rd time in two years) because of hackers. I know who the hacker is, but I'd rather watch the sysadmin(an idiot) wiggle her way out of this one.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

IT'S ALL SCULLEY'S FAULT! The ****er dug the company so far into shit, it's only starting to tunnel out!

I once tried to argue why I use a Mac (I didn't start it! I mentioned I was on an iMac, and she said I needed to grow up. ). I like things to work, I've used both platforms and absolutely hate Windblows. She said something like despite all it's bugs and problems it's the better OS and she didn't want to be spoon-fed, and actually enjoyed struggling to keep her computer alive. She'd obviously never even used a Mac.

BUT IT JUST PISSES ME OFF that they can assert that Macs are in all ways inferior to their cheap, unreliable, clunky, horribly-designed/coded corner-store garbage when it's just bullshit they've been TOLD. Most of them have never even used a Mac! Macs are for creating. When I use my computer I want to make something with it, not out of it. Mindless, uncreative, unoriginal, FOOLS.

? I'm sorry that just came out. So, this virus is programmed to strikle a server at Microsoft? Why doesn't everyone just let it get to work? I want to meet the guy(s) who made it and shake his/their hand(s).(!)

SHey people have noticed, all those people that have added maybe not replaced their windbloz with mac products seee those aren't down, gee down time costs big $$$$$ they will slowly get the picture, i'm sure people are discussing this now after this worm attached and left us alone to produce and create. I LOVE MY MAC, ALWAYS DID ALWAYS WILL--PROUD OWNER OF ALL MAC ALL THE TIME SINCE 1984 (ok ok i have to use a windbloz for 1 work program, but when we upgrade, that dell will be sold and add more macs, hey my airport will support 50 so i need to get going.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Macs aren't showed off in prime conditions enough. Just as OS 9 on an old, scummy-from-dirty-HS-students'-hands-type tray-loading iMacs. That's not fair!

Hah, even an old iMac looks and works better than a 1.4 Ghz PC. And what's more, I see plenty of business still on Pentium IIs and !!!s (!!! aka ???).
  • Reply 29 of 36
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

I'd even be happy with a chart showing the # and severity of security holes for every major OS.

They don't know about security holes until someone breaks in, generally (just like you might not know about a secret tunnel in your house, until someone goes through it.)
  • Reply 30 of 36
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Whoa, you can't FORCE people to patch. Do you have any idea the kind of privacy issues that would bring up? Furthermore, a lot of people can't patch their systems.

It was a joke. Forcing patches or releasing patching worms is completely crazy. IT depts. do have to test their apps before rolling out patches. Usually they have a lot more time than they did on this worm but the results weren't really different.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Cool
  • Reply 32 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Actually, in this case the worm gets in via a port that has no business at all being open in the first place.

My place of work didn't even blink, because we firewall the hell out of everything and open ports on an as-needed, per-machine basis. The IT staff is also pretty vigilant about keeping us up-to-date on patches.

The College of Medicine wasn't so lucky; they were in panic mode last week. Thank God they don't store any interesting data on Windows servers...

Anyway, the boss is now that much cozier with the idea of bringing Macs in. I'm still not sure whether we can, though. I suspect some wheeling and dealing on the part of Dell.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:

Whoa, you can't FORCE people to patch. Do you have any idea the kind of privacy issues that would bring up? Furthermore, a lot of people can't patch their systems.

This time, with the help of MSBlast, a lotta people installed the security update.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    You know, just as we were discussing the possibility of forced updates... it should come as no surprise that Microsoft now actually wants to implement this. Forcing security. Wonderful.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Aug18.html
  • Reply 35 of 36
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

You know, just as we were discussing the possibility of forced updates... it should come as no surprise that Microsoft now actually wants to implement this. Forcing security. Wonderful.

From the company that wanted to forcibly upgrade its customers to new for-pay versions of Windows, and remotely disable their software at will, and collect any information stored on machines that suited their purposes... well, color me shocked.

Someone should sue MS for the cumulative amount of money lost to business and government worldwide as a result of their crap, plus damages. Place their code in the public domain so that lots of fresh eyes can be put to the task of fixing it - that would be a good start, anyway.

Not that it'll happen.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

This isn't a problem in and of itself. The problem comes in when the EULA changes with the patch. I remember alcimedes railing about this a while back when he was going to update his machine to W2kSP3. If you're going to make people patch FOR SECURITY, you can't change the EULA on them. It's coercion. And that's illegal. But, of course, MS will get away with it.

It's like a locksmith coming to your house, putting in a lock and then calling up and saying "oops. A copy of your keys got out, but I'll fix the lock. The only thing is: I've got to be able to check your house for stuff that isn't really yours. If not, sorry, there's nothing that can be done." Windows users have it bad.