[?]What's the best IM client for Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been looking for "some thing" that will let me do all in one client. iChatAV is really great, but I'd like to get a client on the side that is really Mac OS X (i. e. UI metaphor is Aqua/Mac like) and can do:

- AIM

- Jabber

- possible others

- allows me to have multiple account online at the same time!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    There's Fire and Proteus, but I don't know if you can have multiple accounts open at the same time.

http://fire.sourceforge.net/

http://www.indigofield.com/
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I was originally pro-Fire (above) then moved to Adium which is AIM only. Then a short visit to iChat and back to Adium. I now use iChat AV beta mostly for integration with Address Book and the whole system in general. But the recently released Adium 2 alpha has vast improvements over all other clients and easily defeats AIM in UI. If I didn't want to keep the option of AV I already would have transitioned back. It's a very good app and still under development unlike Fire.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    does anyone know if you can do anything to use Trillian on Mac???? like can you do anything with UNIX or something?? i use trillain on my PC and it is a great multi chat program and would love to transfer it to my Mac

Any help would be great
  • Reply 4 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Proteus is absolutely wonderful. Allows multiple accounts, great interface, and is compatible with jsut about every chat service available. (No, not IRC)
  • Reply 5 of 32
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobpensik

does anyone know if you can do anything to use Trillian on Mac???? like can you do anything with UNIX or something?? i use trillain on my PC and it is a great multi chat program and would love to transfer it to my Mac

Any help would be great

In my above post, I mention Protues and Fire. These are both multi-service programs.

In other words, no, you can't use Trillian on a Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Havn't uses proteus in the past 6 months but I didn't really like the interface then.

In short, AIM is the best. I will check out proteus but I doubt I will find much difference...I'll let you know.

Proteus = No Groups?

AIM is great, only problem is how the whole program lags while you are sending a file with a direct image connection
  • Reply 7 of 32
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    trillian has the WORST interface i have ever had to use in my 10 years of using a pc
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Hmm? if third parties can make apps to login to multiple IM connections, wouldn't it be pretty easy for Apple to add MSN connectivity to iChat? I'd like that?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I use fire. Have more ICQ friends than AIM. It's nice to have multiple accounts open at once.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Hmm? if third parties can make apps to login to multiple IM connections, wouldn't it be pretty easy for Apple to add MSN connectivity to iChat? I'd like that?

I bet it's completely doable, but they probably have some deal with AOL not to open iChat to other services.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Havn't uses proteus in the past 6 months but I didn't really like the interface then.

In short, AIM is the best. I will check out proteus but I doubt I will find much difference...I'll let you know.

Proteus = No Groups?

AIM is great, only problem is how the whole program lags while you are sending a file with a direct image connection

It just got updated to Proteus 3...I don't know what has changed.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I'd use Proteus but the cost turns me off.

I'm basically using iChat at the moment, because of the system-wide integration.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

It just got updated to Proteus 3...I don't know what has changed.

Not sure...it looks about the same I think. I am not sure how you can use anything other then AIM. I mean it has all the features except A/V, and honestly I doubt many people use that regularly. Also except for the adds, I like the interface. If only they would combine the "My Account Settings" and "Preferences" I'd be set...well minus that banner.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    I use Fire, its really nice.

You can cluster people who have more than one account into a single entry ( everyone I know has ICQ and MSN ).

The options for how windows pop up are good.

The interface is simple and clean.

It seperates online/offline/management into seperate tabs, which is a bit odd. But you get used to it.

Development is a bit slow, but its good enough anyway ( no obvious bugs, missing features in my view ).

Cool ability to speak various events ( I have it speak when users log on ).
  • Reply 15 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    AOHell is so queer. If they simply opened up then all the 3rd party apps could use AIM properly. Now however, there is no choice. No app comes close to AIM X for features. File transfers, Direct Connect, etc are all mandatory. The new phone stuff is cool too, I may use that someday. The courts should force AIM to open up or something. It's like AT&T not having the same phone service. And especially if they can control Apple and iChat AV. Apple should add Jabber, ICQ, possibly MSN if they allow full or almost full implementation (or they can achieve this through open source stuff), and Yahoo. Maybe even IRC without the IRC. The point would be the put them all in iChat transparently. IRC especially is just fscking annoying to use. Spam, weird commands, programs with horridly complicated interfaces like ircle. And eventually make the AV of iChat AV compatible. Well one can hope.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

I use Fire, its really nice.

You can cluster people who have more than one account into a single entry ( everyone I know has ICQ and MSN ).

The options for how windows pop up are good.

The interface is simple and clean.

It seperates online/offline/management into seperate tabs, which is a bit odd. But you get used to it.

Development is a bit slow, but its good enough anyway ( no obvious bugs, missing features in my view ).

Cool ability to speak various events ( I have it speak when users log on ).

Had no luck, neither with fire nor with Proteus. It somehow just did not work, or behave wierd. Besides that, UIs are all but intuitive, and no manuals. I think I'd like to just run iChat multiple times ;-)
  • Reply 17 of 32
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

AOHell is so queer. If they simply opened up then all the 3rd party apps could use AIM properly. Now however, there is no choice. No app comes close to AIM X for features. File transfers, Direct Connect, etc are all mandatory. The new phone stuff is cool too, I may use that someday. The courts should force AIM to open up or something. It's like AT&T not having the same phone service. And especially if they can control Apple and iChat AV. Apple should add Jabber, ICQ, possibly MSN if they allow full or almost full implementation (or they can achieve this through open source stuff), and Yahoo. Maybe even IRC without the IRC. The point would be the put them all in iChat transparently. IRC especially is just fscking annoying to use. Spam, weird commands, programs with horridly complicated interfaces like ircle. And eventually make the AV of iChat AV compatible. Well one can hope.

AOL should open up a little..since their client is the slowest and the only Carbon one!

Proteus costs money, so I'm not saying anything else about that\

Fire, well, it's a good client. The font size getting too small annoys me though (it gets too small to read when someone sends a small font size), and you can't set a default font color.

iChat is working its way toward being a good client. Talk needs to be supported in more areas than iChat AV-iChat AV, we should be able to send at least a font color to people who don't use iChat, and we should be able to create profiles for ourself. Of course, I still use it

And Adium..well, it's low featured at the moment.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I use Fire myself and love it. The only problem I have is in creating contacts and having them saved.. So I make my list using the AIM client. (Or the aim express on their website) But otherwise I love it.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    MSN's just cut itself off from third party software, CNET reports.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

MSN's just cut itself off from third party software, CNET reports.

Idiots. Don't they realize that eventually they're going to kill themselves by being so proprietary in their 'standards'? Not that I'll complain.