New powerBooks in the pipleline! CONFIRMED!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From thinksecret.com (the only place I trust)

WOOOHOOO!

"New PowerBooks in pipeline, sources confirm

By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

August 18, 2003 - Apple earlier this month wrapped up development of revised PowerBook models, sources confirmed to Think Secret.

The hardware projects, known internally as Q16 and Q41, consist of upgrades to the the 15-inch and 17-inch PowerBook G4. The projects were scheduled to complete in the first part of August.

Q16 and Q41 will run a Jaguar OS variant code-named Blackrider. Like Smeagol, the build train for the Power Mac G5, Blackrider is a special version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 with hardware support for the new models.

It's unclear when Apple plans to announce the upgrades, but one Apple retail source said the new 15-inch and 17-inch models are expected to arrive later this week. The channel is ready for the upgrades, showing low inventories across the PowerBook product line. The 15-inch PowerBook is "gone," while the 12-inch and 17-inch models show lesser than normal quantities at distributor Ingram Micro. It's not known whether or not an upgrade to the 12-inch PowerBook will accompany the new releases.

New 15-inch PowerBooks have been a long-rumored release, awaited since the new 12-inch and 17-inch models were announced in January. At the same time, it's been a moving target for potential customers anticipating a release; the 15-inch PowerBooks went into some level of constraint beginning late spring."

MSKR

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Already in...what...3 other threads? Do we really need another?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    c5jc5j Posts: 25member
    Compared to the other threads, this post actually contain new and good information. Therefor it deserves a whole new thread. Good worrrrk!

/c5j -praying for an PB-update.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Well they have the g5 on the front page today, so will they swap it out tomarrow for the new 15in or what i think is more likley bump one of the bottom panel and do a small panel update? I hope they come tomorrow! If they dont maybe ill just buy a g5 if I have too.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    The same information was already posted to "New PowerBooks Tomorrow" last night.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

The same information was already posted to "New PowerBooks Tomorrow" last night.

GRRR "New Powerbooks Tommorow" has been going for what, 2 frikin months now?! Do you think people are going to keep checking that lame thread forever?! Why the fear of a new thread with new info around here?!
  • Reply 6 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    GRRR, Italians!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Yeah, right, confirmed by a rumour site and says that they don't really know when Apple is going to ship them but they are building them now...How is this different than the other rumours?

quote : It's unclear when Apple plans to announce the upgrades...but
  • Reply 8 of 25
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    They'll be announced tomorrow!

They'll ship in December...

They come with a free Frogurt!

The Frogurts are cursed...

Aaaanyway, 15" & 17" updated... so what of the 12"?

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 25
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I can't believe people still trust rumor sites.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Why not? Next thing you'll be telling me is that Mosot Umbabwe from Nigeria is not going to make good on the money he is going to send me.

MSKR
  • Reply 11 of 25
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Think Secret has, historically, been reliable. Been waiting for them to weight in (since January) before really getting my hopes up. It's gonna happen shortly.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

Why not? Next thing you'll be telling me is that Mosot Umbabwe from Nigeria is not going to make good on the money he is going to send me.

MSKR

I thought Mosot promised me that money. I-I thought I was the only one?

*bawls*

Wha-wh-whoohooooo? 15" AlBook? can't wait to, *sniff,* seeeEEEeeee? *blubber*
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

They'll be announced tomorrow!

They'll ship in December...

They come with a free Frogurt!

The Frogurts are cursed...

I LOL'ed.

Thanks for making my afternoon.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Good old simpsons
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Guess where I am! I'm demoing an AlBook at B.Mac in Ottawa. It's pretty cool, and very huge? I thought that was neat. Carry on.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Guess where I am! I'm demoing an AlBook at B.Mac in Ottawa. It's pretty cool, and very huge? I thought that was neat. Carry on.

For a second there I thought you were talking about a 15'' AlBook. Now that would have been cool: the first updated PowerBook sighting would have been in my home town!

That's a nice store though, isn't it?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

That's a nice store though, isn't it?

It sure is! Those guys rock. Ok, so they are also the only dedicated Apple retailer in the game in the region...

Any news from them if/when G5 floor models are arriving?

Sitting at the end of what must be the longest pipeline* ever,

GXP

*er, as in PowerBooks in the pipeline...
  • Reply 18 of 25
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GregoriusPalitanae

It sure is! Those guys rock. Ok, so they are also the only dedicated Apple retailer in the game in the region...

That is true! I must say, that that is one thing Toronto definitely has over Montreal and Ottawa: a good number of Mac stores. I was there last week and I kept on stumbling across them even when I wasn't looking . Now THAT makes for a good trip.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Yup, it is a pretty excellent store. Good displays, stock in Apple gear and art supplies (we came back with a new working scanner and a wooden modelling mannequin that I can put into some rather interesting poses). I stalled for nearly an hour, playing on the MDD G4 they had out. I got slaughtered in Unreal Tournament. \

The guy there said that they'd be expecting G5's within a couple of weeks. I'll be returning shortly thereafter to ogle it.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    What makes this KUNFIRMED, exactly?