amd 1.2ghz 512mb gforce3ti200

sounds like you may have a drive or hardware issue

i recommend using memtest to test your ram

also check your temp if its getting too hot it will

be unstable
  • Reply 22 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Before you spend money needlessly, why not tear down the PC and rebuild it with current drivers and a fresh install of XP (and all the security updates) after you erase everything and reformat. might take a day, but it's better than spending 1500 plus. Do you make $1500 a day, weekends that busy?

Matsu. Pas1x has his/her own set of goals and desires. We know you mean well but you tend to view the world through your own "tinted" glasses and everyone on these boards knows that. Cut the guy some slack. He's not a "noob" and if he feels that a Mac may be an option then to do the right thing is to give him the pros and cons and let him decide. Frankly I doubt he cares what you collegue purchased. If advice is not balanced then it can be misleading. Also it's fairly rude to ask a person how much they make. It may be more or less than you make but show the person some respect.

Quote:

sounds like you may have a drive or hardware issue

i recommend using memtest to test your ram

also check your temp if its getting too hot it will

be unstable

Yes we all know someone with the "flawless" computer system and suggestions about how to fix the issue are bountiful but I know that sometimes you can just build a PC and for whatever reason it simply has a mind of it's own. My recommendations are for pas1x to look into the possibility of trying a Mac. Keep the PC..there's no law saying you can't run two OS.

Building a PC is fun but there comes a time when you just want your computer to work and have your support come under the umbrella of one vendor.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    You will see a speed decrease in some apps.. A few games for example...
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yes we all know someone with the "flawless" computer system and suggestions about how to fix the issue are bountiful but I know that sometimes you can just build a PC and for whatever reason it simply has a mind of it's own. My recommendations are for pas1x to look into the possibility of trying a Mac. Keep the PC..there's no law saying you can't run two OS.

Building a PC is fun but there comes a time when you just want your computer to work and have your support come under the umbrella of one vendor.

he is free to buy whatever he chooses.

my win2k suggestion was intended to fix his pc.

theres no reason it should be so unstable

i highly recommend running gentoo on it

get the mac g5 after a short wait ..see my other post

in current hardware about the specs

& finally pick up a cheapie sun u5/u10 ...very very nice

rock solid machines

best of all worlds....
  • Reply 25 of 28
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    Well, it would be nice to not have to worry about viruses and worms et. al.

Actually a big reason I first switched was so that I could read my e-mail in peace.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

& finally pick up a cheapie sun u5/u10 ...very very nice

rock solid machines

Not bad. When my Unix chops get better I'll look at doing the same.

Yes I know what you mean about the suggestion. I hope I wasn't rude. That wasn't my intentions

Pas1x sounds knowledeable if he's running Windows and Linux he's most likely beyond the newbie phase.

I'm curious about Small Biz. I used to do Corporate Sales and I saw many a Small Business and I tell you it's as if no two are truly alike. This is a very dynamic market but equally hard to sell to. Apple would be good to eventually offer a dedicated site to smallbiz. There links and information to software and services would be handy and how Mac products can make life easier. Most SB simply do not know the options available.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Longhorn

Actually a big reason I first switched was so that I could read my e-mail in peace.

That is so funny and sad all in one.

pas1x, a G4 1.2gh will be just fine. Go for it and welcome.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    johnpgjohnpg Posts: 37member
    I switched in February 2002 and haven't looked back. I had all the same concerns you have and none have been a problem. My 867mhz Powermac could be faster, but it's amazing how much faster things have gotten just with OS X updates. 10.1 to 10.2 was amazing, and 10.3 is even a bigger jump. You won't regret buying a Mac. It really is as great as people claim it is. Honest.

Cheers,

John