Sharing broadband service wirelessly.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    No need to get 802.11g stuff if it's just sharing an internet connection. 802.11b's throughput of 11mb/s should be more than enough for ANY internet connection (even Anders' insane connection). It's more future proof and if you change your mind about networking the two, g could be a better route, but b will save you some bucks.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Make sure you get the ABS setup first. So when you install her PC card, it will search immediately for ANY wireless access point to grab. Yours being there, it will find it and should give you the option to connect to it. With WEP setup, it will ask you for the access key, which will be the phone number or whatever number you setup on the ABS for WEP authentication. Type it in, and hit connect. U B Done!

Yeah, as soon as you plug in the ABS it should grab an IP address. Your mac will see it as just another node on the network, except when you put the admin software in, the software will search by IP for the ABS itself. Once it finds it, WHAM... you're in. Easy stuff... hopefully. I've set up about every different kind of wireless access point from cisco to linksys except for the Apple ABS. Hopefully it has the same basic setup as the rest of them. Hope this helps.

ME
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Guess I missed the last question. It's always good to get an access point that atleast has the option of an external antenna. I don't understand what you mean by modem though, you won't need that. It should hook straight into your router with a cat5 patch cable.

ME
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I defiantly feel more comfortable spending the $300, now knowing what I am doing.

There shouldn't be any problems installing the PC wireless card, even though her laptop already has an ethernet port, right?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Nope, Windows 2000 will register 2 seperate network devices under the properties of My Network Places. You're good to go. Each connection can have it's own seperate IP settings and everything.

ME
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by pc-to-mac

Nope, Windows 2000 will register 2 seperate network devices under the properties of My Network Places. You're good to go. Each connection can have it's own seperate IP settings and everything.

ME

Thanks, I will let you guys know when I get the hardware or if I have more questions.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quick question: With the way that I am setting up this connection, I don't have to worry about getting a virus from her machine? Here's a little history: She is terrible about keeping her AV up to date, and not opening emails from people she doesn't know, so she can get viruses easily. Even though myself and her boyfriend have repeatedly showed her. We have had to reformat the HD in the past to solve the problems. I know that my iMac won't get any viruses, but I still do need my Windows XP machine to stay virus free. So the way that it is set up and with file sharing turned off somehow, my Windows XP machine should be ok?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Once she is connected to the ABS, she will be able to see you as well as you seeing her. Your imac will be fine... like you said. If you really want to kill any chance of her coming across, install a small firewall on your pc like Zone Alarm or something. Or if you have XP, just turn on the built in firewall on the local network connection. Right click the network connection, go to properties, click the advanced tab and check the checkbox next to firewall. In reality though, if you didn't get the blaster virus or any other virus like it, you won't get it from her. Keep your machine updated with windows updates and your definitions up to date and you'll be fine... whether or not she is.

ME
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Ok, thanks!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    I connected everything, however, when I go to configure the ABS through the Airport Admin Utility, I keep getting this error: "The Airport Admin Utility was unable to read the configuration of the selected base station. An error occurred while reading the configuration." Ok, so what am I suppose to do now?
  • Reply 31 of 33
    I have tried all kinds of things and I am still getting this same error message.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    addadd Posts: 4member
    Make sure you have installed the latest Airport software via software update, (version 3.1.1) then try running 'AirPort Setup Assistant' instead of 'AirPort Admin utility'.

Once you have run setup assistant then you should be able to run the admin utility.

I would recommend setting up the basics first then turn on things like passwords WEP and Access controls once things are working ok.

Good luck
  • Reply 33 of 33
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

I have tried all kinds of things and I am still getting this same error message.

One of my biggest pet peeves of the ABS is that damn message. The only way I could cure it is to hard reset it. The directions should be in your help center. Make sure you directly connect to the ABS via the LAN port (not the one with the circular symbol). Good luck. :/