How long before accountability?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When is MS going to be held accountable for all this insecurity? I'm not just talking about the public's disdain, but some real action taken by the Powers That Be. It's just wrong how on a weekly basis people need to deal with this. Write your senators!! When do you think something will come of this? Never? Probably.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

I kinda talked about this in my "USA Today ad" thread. It's completely insane. My mom and sister are running around, downloading this, installing that, freaking out, afraid to do ANYTHING.

I mention, casually, "get a Mac..." and they look at me like I'm on crack.

Fine then. Go ahead and forever putz around with stupid stuff like this. Have fun.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Completely OT (I may be thread-jacking my own thread but....), scates, have you seen the back of Sept.'s MacWorld? As soon as I saw it, I thought you'd like it...
  • Reply 3 of 29
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

I've had it blown up to a 5' x 8' mural poster...

j/k
  • Reply 4 of 29
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030820/e_mail_virus_4.html

Fastest email virus of all time. Good god, what it's going to take for someone to speak up about this. It seems that more days than not for the past month(s?) there's been some sort of warning about MS software problems. I'm going to email my senator.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030820/e_mail_virus_4.html

Fastest email virus of all time. Good god, what it's going to take for someone to speak up about this. It seems that more days than not for the past month(s?) there's been some sort of warning about MS software problems. I'm going to email my senator.

Well, I did it. Here it is:

Quote:

Dear Sen. Edwards,

I'm writing to express my concern for this Nation's security, Specifically, my concern is regarding the Dept. of Homeland Security's decision to use Microsoft software for their servers and workstations. As I'm sure you're aware, the past week has seen a marked increase of activity in worms and viri that affect only Microsoft software. Needless to say, this has been an extremely troublesome development for many computer users. That the government's anti-trust case against Microsoft fell apart after Pres. Bush came to office is a given, but the DHS's decision to Microsoft software when it is known to be the most insecure platform available is troubling.

The purpose of this email is two-fold: first, I would like the DHS to answer to Congress about this decision. It just doesn't make sense from either a security standpoint or a fiscal one. Secondly, I would like to know what Congress is doing about these egregious flaws in Microsoft software. Specifically, has any action been taken against the company for not only causing significant economic problems due to wasted bandwidth, scrambling computer users and crippled networks, but also for opening up so many to vulnerability. Would an automaker who kept producing cars that had failing safety systems be allowed this level of immunity?

At the very least, I would like some legislation introduced that prevents the government from bedding with this convicted monopolist and security risk. Or some accountability on the part of Microsoft or the government in making the decisions that have been made to use their software.

Thank you for you attention to this matter,

Sammy B, an as yet undecided voter for the 2004 presidential election

Not too biased, I hope.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

When is MS going to be held accountable for all this insecurity? I'm not just talking about the public's disdain, but some real action taken by the Powers That Be. It's just wrong how on a weekly basis people need to deal with this. Write your senators!! When do you think something will come of this? Never? Probably.

Have you seen anything that indicates neglegence on Microsoft's part? It would be interesting to know. If there isn't, then Microsoft can (rightfully so) claim that they are targeted for being the largest vendor of OS software.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Have you seen anything that indicates neglegence on Microsoft's part? It would be interesting to know. If there isn't, then Microsoft can (rightfully so) claim that they are targeted for being the largest vendor of OS software.

I don't know if this is negligence, but they definitely seem to be out of their league here. They are working outside of their area of expertise. If I were to do that, I'd be held accountable. For example, if I try to treat patients for sexual dysfunction, I'd be behaving unethically since I don't have training in that area. Is it negligence? Perhaps not. Should I be accountable? Absolutely.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

I don't know if this is negligence, but they definitely seem to be out of their league here. They are working outside of their area of expertise. If I were to do that, I'd be held accountable. For example, if I try to treat patients for sexual dysfunction, I'd be behaving unethically since I don't have training in that area. Is it negligence? Perhaps not. Should I be accountable? Absolutely.

Uh oh. Microsoft is out of their area of expertise in designing operating systems? Care to back that up?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Uh oh. Microsoft is out of their area of expertise in designing operating systems? Care to back that up?

Don't be a dolt. They're out of their area of expertise in developing SECURE software. I'm a trained therapist. It doesn't mean I'm trained to do all aspects of psychotherapy.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Don't be a dolt. They're out of their area of expertise in developing SECURE software. I'm a trained therapist. It doesn't mean I'm trained to do all aspects of psychotherapy.

It seems to me that they must have hired a few "experts" when they had the whole "security initiative" going a year or two back.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    There is proof that MS doesn't care about security. I have a link.

http://grc.com/dos/xpconference.htm

It's an old page, but you get the point. And it's probably also pretty well known around here.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

It's an old page, but you get the point. And it's probably also pretty well known around here.

Wow. That's a damning article if I ever read one. They have a dilemma: make Win9x apps look as though they are running normally but open the computer up to security risk OR figure out some other way. Apple had this dilemma with OS9/classic and they took the best route available. MS did not. And now they are reaping the benefits. Laziness won out at MS.

All apps on WinXP home running as root?!? That's insane. They are a liability.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Ok, when Steve Gibson is asserted as a security authority, I guess we can declare a thread dead.

Maybe we should have a security analog to godwin's law. Call it the Gibson Law.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

I read the article and its an extremely weak argument. What hacker doesn't have root access on his OSX or Linux box?

Hate to say it. I agree with Microsoft on this one.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

I read the article and its an extremely weak argument. What hacker doesn't have root access on his OSX or Linux box?

Hate to say it. I agree with Microsoft on this one.

You sir, have no idea.

The idea is that a trojan or other malicious code will have a difficult time making a nuisance of itself on a computer that isnt logged in as superuser (root). Most people dont know how to access the root user (administrator is not the same) on OSX (it isnt difficult, just obscure) and Linux people should not have themselves logged in as root for daily operation of the computer. A windows home user when logged in has the equivilent of root privledges and any code they execute (or is executed in their name) will have the same privledges.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I have gotten like 50 emails today all from different people and even people with .gov email addresses all say... see the atachement... i just delete them...
  • Reply 17 of 29
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

It seems to me that they must have hired a few "experts" when they had the whole "security initiative" going a year or two back.

And it didn't really work, did it?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I am a "PC" Systems Engineer/Consultant, all I have been doing for the past 2 weeks is either cleaning virus infested computers or writing emails or calling clients because they are so scared that they are getting the virus and I have to calm them down and tell them they are ok.

As a person that pretty much lives and eats because of microsoft and their products, I still think it is high time that they pay for their security problems. Literally, pay money. Every hour that a business is down costs them X amount of dollars. Every hour that someone like me is there fixing the problem costs them X amount of dollars. This quickly adds up... and all because of m$ product. Every year businesses spend billions of dollars buying m$ product, either to upgrade or install something new because m$ has decided not to support the older stuff that seems to be working fine.

M$ must be held accountable or they will continue to do things as they have been. They need a "heartattack" to open their eyes. And if every business in the world sending them a bill for down time and loss of revenue is it.. then so be it. They need to realize that the world can run without windows and their product, and should keep that in mind as they design and write their new software.

Just my opinion... and ideas.

ME
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

You sir, have no idea.

The idea is that a trojan or other malicious code will have a difficult time making a nuisance of itself on a computer that isnt logged in as superuser (root). Most people dont know how to access the root user (administrator is not the same) on OSX (it isnt difficult, just obscure) and Linux people should not have themselves logged in as root for daily operation of the computer. A windows home user when logged in has the equivilent of root privledges and any code they execute (or is executed in their name) will have the same privledges.

I see what you're saying.. I was thinking of using the socket to replicate. The virus has to find a different way to replecate, but once a virus is on the system, being logged in as root gives it more permission by having access to the socket API.

OOOO... ahhh.. The things we learn!!!

If the virus replicated part of the API when it replicated itself, would it have access to the socket resources without root permissions? Socket connections get mapped just like other device drivers under unix, right? so permissions would prohibit?

Thats so cool. Hahaha. Microsoft. DOH!!!
  • Reply 20 of 29
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's just astounding what people accept as a necessary evil. I finally got around to downloading Ad-aware on my work PC today, and it found a dozen spyware processes running on it. I've also had to deal more and more with these applications that cross your path online and install themselves on the hard drive without prompting, without needing any passwords or indications of what's just happened. It's insane! And people all around me talk about the elaborate measures they've cultivated on how to deal with spam, viruses, adware, spyware, etc. like it makes them the ultimate powergeek, a badge of honor. They've actually turned it into an active pursuit. They spend more time fending off shit than doing shit. My father is of course the worst. He scrubs, cleans, distills, bathes, and disinfects his hard drive every night, and has filled his hard drive with utilities that are supposed to keep it running lean and mean! He must do about 1 minute of productive work for every 10 he spends fixing stuff: the registry, adding and removing processes, programs, virii, worms, temp files, etc.

Unless you can break the profitable software snake oil business, people won't be desperate enough to demand something be done about the insecurity of their platform and their software.