The future of QuickTime, poverty or prosperity

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Would it be possible to take some of the MPlayer code and turn it into .component files to allow Quicktime to work with divx & other formats?

No, like I said, QuickTime is not allowed to use any GPL code at runtime. That means no shared libraries or plug-ins with GPL taint. This is my understanding of how the GPL works with regards to dynamically loaded modules.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

No, like I said, QuickTime is not allowed to use any GPL code at runtime. That means no shared libraries or plug-ins with GPL taint. This is my understanding of how the GPL works with regards to dynamically loaded modules.

But what if a 3rd party were to do it? Still no?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Unless the code in question is GPLed, then it is not allowed to link to GPLed code. The LGPL allows this, however.

I am not sure if this does or does not apply to stuff like plug-ins though.

Barto
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

However, why doesn't Apple ackowledge DivX!!! Even with 3ivx it usually will stutter or not play audio or just not play. Why can't QT play it if MPlayer and VLC which are both open source can? Apple should use their code if they can't do it themselves. MPlayer plays anything. VLC does FLAC and DVDs (better but without hardware.) Use that open source Apple!

There is an official DivX plug-in if you haven't noticed.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Apple should include 3ivx with QT.

3ivx will be available when it's finished - it was mentioned at 3ivx.com a while ago.