What do you think about my new piece "Phoenix"?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    warning: I know next to nothing about choir music. I know symphonic music a little better, and classical jazz pretty well.

First, you're obviously a talented composer, so take all of our comments with a grain or two of sea salt.

In general I find parts of Phoenix are very soothing, especially in the first third of the piece, but my impression is that it is a bit fragmented. The only way I can describe it is that there seem to be almost too many pauses or high/low transitions. It sort of loses its momentum in spots, if that makes any sense (probably not).

I'll give the other piece a listen also. Thanks for sharing it with us!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The Hope is excellent in so far as the composition I think. The orchestral parts definitely evoke imagery of war / doom / aftermath, etc and the choir transition works very well. My critique should probably end there (at a general level) because I'm not sure if some of my other observations are based on my lack of musical schooling, or perhaps are more valid. Overall I like the piece a lot though.

You've got a lot of talent!

8)
  • Reply 23 of 25
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Too many notes...

Nick
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Too many notes...

Nick

...Too little room

• Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

The Hope is excellent in so far as the composition I think. The orchestral parts definitely evoke imagery of war / doom / aftermath, etc and the choir transition works very well. My critique should probably end there (at a general level) because I'm not sure if some of my other observations are based on my lack of musical schooling, or perhaps are more valid. Overall I like the piece a lot though.

You've got a lot of talent!

8)

Thanks Moogs! Yes, there is a lot going on in Phoenix. In fact so muchg that it may feel a little fragmented as you say, but in fact it's not (at least not in my opinion). Everything has been woven very tightly together and the piece IS very compact. I will suggest you listen to it a couple more times, it might not change your mind but there is so much going on that I think it's worth it

Also thanks for the comments about "The Hope". I'm glad you like it! Don't be afraid to say whatever you like about it. I'm not posting here because I onlyt wants music scolars to respond.