The Origins of "me no likey" and other annoying webisms

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All right, so I know all sorts of people use this phrase now - they can't all be annoying people - so what I want to know is, where in the hell did it come from? Which demon-spawn, script-kiddie coined this baby-talk phrase, which I see plastered all over UBB systems every week? Who is he and what's his address, because I'm going to beat him to death with a Nerf Bat.

More to the point, what compels a person to use such a phrase? In which context is it a good idea for grown men and women to use a phrase "me likey" or "me no likey" in place of the more boring and obvious "I like..." or "I dislike...", or even "I can't f-ing stand.." _____ ?

Someone please help me with this because I'm afraid I'm lost. I cannot bring myself to use such phrases yet I feel out of sync with all that is web, because other people seem to get along just fine with these phrases. Phrases that I imagine, if someone uttered them in a public place, would be ridiculed like a monkey with 4.5 assess.

Thoughts? Advice? Other annoying phrases that must die?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    me likey.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I do have a soft spot though for "no workie". It's wonderfully anti-tech for a computer troubleshooting term.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yah. "No workie" is another one, as in

"My USB Printer no workie "

It's enough to drive a guy nuts...

• Reply 3 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I would take a guess that it's either some kind of mock asian english or from Mikey on the life cereal ads. "He likes it ... he likey" (something like that).
  • Reply 4 of 23
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Hey yuo Grize.Whatz wong with speeking Ing-rish ?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I was thinking maybe it was some uber-geek inside joke from an Anime movie or something. I just don't know...

• Reply 6 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Me speak pretty someday.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I thought it was "Me Talk Pretty One Day"? I never realized, "me no likey" was a web thang. Always sounded like baby talk to me.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    first i heard it was the "me likey the stranger" quote from some beer ad.

it probably existed before then i'm sure.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Wait wait wait I think I know. It may be Long Duck Dong from the Pretty in Pink or Sixteen Candles movie. I can't remember which.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "No more yanky my wanky. The Donger need food!"
  • Reply 11 of 23
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    irregardless....
  • Reply 12 of 23
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I would take a guess that it's either some kind of mock asian english ...

thats what i always figured too. haven't seen it too much though, so i aint too bofered by it.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

"No more yanky my wanky. The Donger need food!"

That could be it, and in that instance - IF the people who say stuff like that know the origins - then I guess it could be construed as funny. Kind of. I don't think the Duc-meister ever used the phrase "me no likey" but I could be wrong.

I was just worried that maybe the world of uber-geekdom was slipping into a regressive phase like those freaks who like to dress up in diapers and be treated like infants when they're 40 years old. That would be bad.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    never heard it before...luckily
  • Reply 15 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    moogs, please don't waste your time on a web-ism like this, as you put it, when there is a BIGGER SCOURGE plaguing us today! who is it? what is it?

it's those goddamned teens who have communicated in truncated, abbreviated cell-phone instant text messaging speak for so long, they compose ALL THEIR STUFF THAT WAY. my wife was head of a church youth group last year, and we would get messages that were almost indecipherable.

ACK!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    The one that I don't tolerate too well is " my bad " when someone has made an error and almost admits to it. Where did this incomplete nonsense come from?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Basketball courts across America. Originated sometime around 1992.

rok: thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I think the 'Me no likey' thing comes from just plain old Engrish and the American lust to attach themselves to silly things. It's probably an offshoot of the 'Me so solly' phrase in every bad movie with an obligatory Asian patsy.

Come to think about it, it's a natural progression of each culture entering American culture to go through this. Kind of a global hazing if you will.

Whud yoo meen, boz man?

Whattchatalkinbout Willuz?

DY-NO-MYYYTE!

Ten dolla no holla...yu likey

mee so honny

I can't think of any Mexican examples right now though.

Hmm.

Anyways, this is probbably the next 'Whazzzuuupp?', which is equally annoying.

(edit) And I agree with rok wholeheartedly. I loathe all of this 'u' and shortened incomprehensible word stuff.

I blame Prince.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    That's what happens when you put too much Soul Glow on your melon. Fries brain cells.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I absolutely hate all forms of internet shorthand, stupid phrases, and generally anything that isn't recognizable to someone on "the outside" so to speak. Every time I see a knew piece of shorthand I'm not familiar with -- usually when I'm talking to some dumbass friends of mine -- I go off on them. Is it really that hard to use real language? Do you have to screw up the one you've got? What the hell kind of rebellion is that? Whatever happened to sneaking out at night and driving without a license?

I do admit to being more lax in IM applications. I use capitalization & punctuation sparingly. My spelling is great, but I might slip in the occasional "lol". Beyond that, though...if I use shorthand, I'm likely to be making fun of someone.

Maybe I shouldn't judge as I do usually type at quite the clip...70-110WPM, depending on how accurate I want to be.