Let's compare Dual G5 ship dates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

My machine is still listed as 8/29, as reported in multiple browsers. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Days later, its now 8/30. My machine is still listed as 9/29. What does this mean?

Note: This thread should be merged with the others. Hint hint.
  • Reply 42 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

PMG5 2.0GHZDP/512/160/SD/R9600PRO-USA

M9032LL/A

On or before

09/02/2003

$2,399.00

$2,399.00

This 9/02/2003 date hasn't changed since I ordered on 6/23.

Where did you get that price? Is that in USD?
  • Reply 43 of 100
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Woke up this morning, and now my machine has been moved from 8/29 to 10/14! Apparently, ADC developers with .edu email addresses get screwed.
  • Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Mine changed from 8/29 to 9/26 to 9/29 to 9/22. Come on people, we need a few more G5 order cancellations here! Why order a dual 2 GHz now when maybe you can have a dual 2.5 GHz in just a few months for maybe a lower price with maybe a free copy of Panther???

Have have to agree with you here... I really hate to see this happen. It even got me pissed that Steve said we will be at 3Ghz in 12 months. thats good for Apple, good for me in the long run... but for now, it is always a good feeling to have the fastest Mac for a little while. Mixed feelings... \
  • Reply 45 of 100
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Went to Fry's today. Lo and behold, they had a 1.6 GHZ model sitting on the floor sealed up. Not even one on display. I grabbed it and took it home.

Got it set up now and doing some real pondering if I want to spend another $1400.00 for a dual with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

I can add the 9800 latter. I got 1 GB or ram sitting here that was destined for my dualie.

I think maybe my eyes got too big when I saw the dual.

HD size is not a biggie. Easily add another over time. The PCI-X thing is not a major deal too me.

I need to make up my mind this weekend.

Anyways, what a sweet ass machine!

I will get some pics posted at my .Mac account and show.

Any G5 is better than none at all.

I think Panther is going to give this puppy a nice boost too.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    -> msantti:

You are definately crazy, aren't you ???

Do you intend to bring it back to the shop after testing it, when you find out it would be better to get the dual ?

Is that possible in the US ? Here in Europe we've got a new consumer friendly warranty law since 2002 where such action is no problem at all in the first 6 months !
  • Reply 47 of 100
    Fry's Electronics has a 30 day, no questions asked return policy. I think they are some of the best people to deal with around.

Even if I got the dual, I would be pulling my hair out when Apple announced faster machines.

I can upgrade a little quicker now.

Life as a computer owner can suck sometimes.
  • Reply 48 of 100
    My G5 pics:

See them here.
  • Reply 49 of 100
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnjosephbachir

Where did you get that price? Is that in USD?

That's the ADC price, for Select renewal (1 discount) and Premier (10 discounts) developers. You can see them all at http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html and click on the "ADC HARDWARE PURCHASE PROGRAM STORE (US ONLY)" link.
  • Reply 50 of 100
    To while away the hours waiting for my G5 to ship, I have turned to accessorizing---I have two 15K rpm cheetah SCSI drives I am going to try to cram in (or on top of) my G5

I think I will call this contraption the G5 SCSI CABOOSE
  • Reply 51 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Fry's Electronics has a 30 day, no questions asked return policy. I think they are some of the best people to deal with around.

They're great to deal with except when they repackage returns without the little sticker that indicates that it's a returned item, and you get it home and discover there's no manual in the box!

(happened to me at least once...)

-- Mark
  • Reply 52 of 100
    I'm happy, i've got my e-mail too here in Belgium...

I've ordered my Dual G5 on june, 26 and today I've received a 3-4 weeks delay. This is for a CTO : HD 250 GB, ATI Radeon 9800, Bluetooth, 1 GB RAM. I will have it on october, 10 at last.

PS: Do you think it will be good, for performance, to buy a Western Digital Raptor WD360GD ? Just to put Panther on it with all my apps and use the 250GB for my jobs ? The Raptor is a 36.7 GB SATA drive - 10000 RPM - 8 MB Buffer - 5.2 ms access time - 5 years warranty.
  • Reply 53 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeromba

PS: Do you think it will be good, for performance, to buy a Western Digital Raptor WD360GD ? Just to put Panther on it with all my apps and use the 250GB for my jobs ? The Raptor is a 36.7 GB SATA drive - 10000 RPM - 8 MB Buffer - 5.2 ms access time - 5 years warranty. [/B]

I bought a RAPTOR for this very purpose and currently have it in my PC.

I actually tried the Silicon image SATA host adapter PCI card in my Mac and it appeared to be properly identified in the system profiler, but would not work for lack of a proper driver ( although there is a Linux driver listed on their website that I did not try).

The 15K rpm SCSI Cheetah drives I installed in my Mac were the single biggest performance improvement to the OSX GUI (the finder in particular) I have seen on my computer. I currently back them up to bigger (although slower) SCSI drive scheduled through a CRON job.

My dilemma now is: if I were to stripe two RAPTORS together in a G5 as a boot volume (it is mentioned elsewhere on the net that this is possible) , there is no space for an internal backup drive to go.
  • Reply 54 of 100
    well, it shipped today (and i got upgraded from regular ground to overnite).

ordered: 8/16

apple eta: 10/29 or before

shipped: 9/25
  • Reply 55 of 100
    I was going to get a Raptor, but WD is supposed to release a 72GB version next month, so I'm waiting.
  • Reply 56 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnjosephbachir

well, it shipped today (and i got upgraded from regular ground to overnite).

ordered: 8/16

apple eta: 10/29 or before

shipped: 9/25

I'm getting genuinely pissed, I ordered my Dual on June 23 within minutes of them going on sale. Stock except for an upgraded 250G drive. And it still hasn't shipped. A couple of days ago they pushed the ship date back to 10/29. Give me a break!! So much for first come first serve!

Maybe I should just cancel my order and have somebody near an Apple Store pick one up off the shelf and send it to me, since Apple doesn't seem to be capable of it.

J
  • Reply 57 of 100
    The rumor mill has been stating that the 250 gb hard drives could be a big part of the delay.

If you get a machine from an Apple Store, it proably won't have that drive in it.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    Ordered CompUSA: 9/14

expected ship: 9/25
  • Reply 59 of 100
    I ordered on Sept 16th under EDU and they told me October 22nd. I called today because you can now buy stock units off the floor at the Apple Stores. They told me 3-5's then he say oops let me look at the schedule again then said looks like the earilest is October 8th.

I ordered 250 HD, 9800, and Blue Tooth with two 23" lcd's
  • Reply 60 of 100
    I ordered Dual CTO 9800 + Bluetooth on 9/22. Scheduled to ship on 10/28. I can't imagine they are going to make that date if they are still pushing ship dates back. Course it would be really nice if they sent it out early, seeing as the 24th is my birthday.

If they end up pushing it back a month I might as well cancel my order and wait two more for the next Rev!