"Mysterious Safari 1.1 v94 Sports New Interface"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Something's gotta be done about those new tabs? y'know, if it's not fake.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    The tab/button things are different sizes. This is a huge no no and was one of the first things corrected in Chimera when it was first released and had that name. I don't think its real.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I doubt Apple would throw out such a screenshot until they fixed it, so it's probably fake. However, that is VERY interesting. I love Panther's tabs, and if something like that could be made, I'd use it (probably).
  • Reply 24 of 39
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    It's just regular Safari on Panther that has the Metal appearance turned off via Interface Builder.

You can have that today if you click one checkbox in IB and are running Panther (for the new tabs).

Apple's website will be redesigned and similarities to Safari's UI and that of Apple's site will soon be history.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

It's just regular Safari on Panther that has the Metal appearance turned off via Interface Builder.

You can have that today if you click one checkbox in IB and are running Panther (for the new tabs).

No its not. Look at the content of the browser window. Its the stupid "well" metaphor Apple has been pushing for content areas in dialog boxes. Doesn't translate too well to other content areas. Like the new Panther "tabs," it looks like a great design idea, until it gets applied across an entire OS. The graphic phukwits at Apple need some UI training. So much for HI Guidelines.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Maybe that's why Apple now has two tab systems. One for settings, and one for content.

Different tools are better for different jobs? Just a thought.

Barto
  • Reply 28 of 39
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Safri should be like the finder:

places on the left side;

actions on the top;

and a customize toolbar sheet.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

No its not. Look at the content of the browser window. Its the stupid "well" metaphor Apple has been pushing for content areas in dialog boxes. Doesn't translate too well to other content areas.

Respectfully, I know this. But, if you are running Panther, and when you turn off the Metal in Safari, Safari's tab rows become the new Panther-style tabs, which are really just button bars.

But these button bars, instead of having a content rectangle as with older tabs, have a rounded container, with an alpha/shaded background. This is the well which you speak of. The website content unfortunately, awkwardly sits under/inside of this rounded container, and your right, it's bad. Especially since they cheat and push off the other rounded corners beyound the rects of the containing window (although somewhat valid method if it looks good, it's still a cheap hack opposed to a nicer part).
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Respectfully, I know this. But, if you are running Panther, and when you turn off the Metal in Safari, Safari's tab rows become the new Panther-style tabs, which are really just button bars.

But these button bars, instead of having a content rectangle as with older tabs, have a rounded container, with an alpha/shaded background. This is the well which you speak of. The website content unfortunately, awkwardly sits under/inside of this rounded container, and your right, it's bad. Especially since they cheat and push off the other rounded corners beyound the rects of the containing window (although somewhat valid method if it looks good, it's still a cheap hack opposed to a nicer part).

If it does become this and looks like that picture, can't you just move controls around in Interface Builder (or whatever it's called in Panther) to get a better-looking window? It worked for me when I move controls around in 10.2 (I didn't get native tabs though, of course).
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Get the **** over it, kim kap sol. If Apple killed tabs in Safari, I'd stop using it.

Barto
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

If it does become this and looks like that picture, can't you just move controls around in Interface Builder (or whatever it's called in Panther) to get a better-looking window? It worked for me when I move controls around in 10.2 (I didn't get native tabs though, of course).

Well, it's just that they need 2 sets of tab controls then, or a parameter that let's you choose from a rounded or square containing rectangle for the content.

People don't want their website's content to be hidden behind rounded corners - if that could be an alternative in some future control, which it isn't right now. So the current situation is plopping a rectangle of content into a container that has rounded corners. You can't do much more than shove the bottom corners off-window and treat that top set of corners as decoration, with an odd gap of gray space at the top, below the tab/chiclets.

Apple just needs to make a tabchiclet control that is square. If they care. I don't think they do.

Also, I'm not suggesting that the screenshot shown above, with a IMO hacked version of Safari is an official Apple thing. Two issues altogether: 1, can Safari look like this by toggling Metal in panther. Yes. 2. Is this a real screengrab of some future Apple-approved Safari UI? I doubt it. it would be a bit too much a retreat from Metal. And Safari is one of the few iApps that metal haters don't seem to mind being metal.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Get the **** over it, kim kap sol. If Apple killed tabs in Safari, I'd stop using it.

Barto

I'm talking about the Aqua interface, moron, the thread topic. A bit jumpy today?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I get jumpy whenever you post in a thread about tabs, kim kap sol.

I would also stop using Safari if Apple used this "new" interface.

Barto
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

I get jumpy whenever you post in a thread about tabs, kim kap sol.

I would also stop using Safari if Apple used this "new" interface.

Barto

Well you could always just switch back to metal, and I'm betting metal is on by default, as usual, anyway. So I don't think there's much to worry about.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    First we need to know: is this what happens when you make a Metal window Aqua in Mac OS X?

The answer is: No. Tabs look the same in Metal and Aqua. Safari uses a custom tab system (designed specifically for content display).

Ok, so someone has modded Safari, or spent 5 minutes with Interface Builder and Photoshop, to use normal tabs. These tabs are useless for displaying content, and if Apple really did use these standard tabs instead of Safari's, I'd stop using it.

Barto
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

First we need to know: is this what happens when you make a Metal window Aqua in Mac OS X?

The answer is: No. Tabs look the same in Metal and Aqua. Safari uses a custom tab system (designed specifically for content display).

Ok, so someone has modded Safari, or spent 5 minutes with Interface Builder and Photoshop, to use normal tabs. These tabs are useless for displaying content, and if Apple really did use these standard tabs instead of Safari's, I'd stop using it.

Barto

Alright, so basically it's fake. Moving on now..
  • Reply 38 of 39
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    You can use safaricon if you want to jazz up safari:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10611
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

You can use safaricon if you want to jazz up safari:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10611

Oh yeah? Most excellent, dude! 8)