Mozilla 1.5b is out...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

They have done this, and that's why the only "Aqua" interfaces for Mozilla are fake Aqua. Moz uses its own customized interface engine, not Cocoa or Carbon to draw widgets (unlike Safari).

Um, Pinstripe uses native widgets.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Not really. Not in the sense that "native" applications do.

They grab the widget icons from Mac OS X, and Mozilla draws them rather than relying on APIs or framworks.

Like Brad said, it may inherit the look of Mac OS X, but the feel is still Mozilla XUL.

Even the look is a bit glitchy, because it trys to apply the Mac OS X look to an interface which isn't designed for it.

Barto
  • Reply 23 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That is just stupid. It reminds me of Windows apps cheesily ported to OS X that look like ghetto Windows apps ike Matlab. Why don't they just make Moz look like Aqua everywhere instead of "depressing grey crap." I have read about XUL. It's a nice idea. But not realistic. The OS is supposed to handle the GUI. Maybe they should make it look like Aqua on OS X and other platforms. Aqua looks better then any other GUI out there. Except maybe Platinum from OS 9. Moz is heavy and gives me a headache just like Windows' GUI.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

That is just stupid. It reminds me of Windows apps cheesily ported to OS X that look like ghetto Windows apps ike Matlab. Why don't they just make Moz look like Aqua everywhere instead of "depressing grey crap."

They do - it's called Camino.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Even the look is a bit glitchy, because it trys to apply the Mac OS X look to an interface which isn't designed for it.

Thank you, Barto. I'm so glad someone else out there has enough experiencee to know what I'm talking about.

Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

They do - it's called Camino.

If you'd followed Camino/Chimera's development over the past year, you'd know that Camino's widgets (in the page display area) are *far* from native. Camino also just grabs the images of the widgets from the system and uses its own custom layout for them. Yes, they certainly perform much better today then they did a few months ago, but they still aren't close enough for my satisfaction.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes plus Camino development is getting slower. I don't use nightly builds, I like the stability of milestones. Camino is very buggy also, even milestones. Safari blows anything else out of the water for general browsing but Moz is faster and more compatible in some places like ****ING PeopleSoft at college and I'd like to see Moz stop flattering themselves and wasting time trying to replace an OS GUI.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Using skins in Mozilla will allow more options, but it ends up bloating it and making it not seem like an OS X application, since it draws its own elements. Personally, the only thing that should use its own interface, IMO, is a game.

Camino does seem like it's more native, but it does seem a little buggy. I should give Mozilla a try (I like it's new icon ), but maybe not. I'm using Safari and keeping it.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

Personally, the only thing that should use its own interface, IMO, is a game.

...and you only say that because you've (probably) never used games with native interfaces. It's a million times more user friendly. As far as I can gather, the only reason games use their own interfaces is because of BAD PORTING.

Bad porting from games with interfaces derived from DOS days, and bad porting of console games to computers.

Just because "everybody does it" doesn't make it right (some of the time, anyway).

Barto
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Aquatic, it sounds like you should download the Mozilla source, fork it, and get coding...

... yes, I'm being facetious.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

If you'd followed Camino/Chimera's development over the past year, you'd know that Camino's widgets (in the page display area) are *far* from native. Camino also just grabs the images of the widgets from the system and uses its own custom layout for them. Yes, they certainly perform much better today then they did a few months ago, but they still aren't close enough for my satisfaction.

I wasn't talking about the page area.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I wasn't talking about the page area.

So you don't really care how well the web page is displayed, just that the surrounding window is native?

Ever tried to select text in Mozilla/Camino? Let's party like it's 1989!

Barto