Safari Discussion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

These were both fixed long ago with the early 1.1 builds.

Well... But im stuck with 1.0 in Jaguar.. So it still needs fixing!
  • Reply 42 of 63
    I'd like to see New Window added to the dock menu of Safari.

edit: The new PithHelmet is great! In the old version I saw a big blank spot where an ad used to be, now it's truly collapsed.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I'd like to see New Window added to the dock menu of Safari.

Why dont you just click the application in the dock?

I got another complaint.. Multithreading.. A single tab can lock up the entire window.. So annoying, just because one server isnt answering...

[Edit:] Another bug... Safari is having big trouble on some ftp servers...
  • Reply 44 of 63
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Another problem. It reloads the whole page for eCampus from PeopleSoft on our college site instead of just the part that needs to be refreshed when you enter data and hit Tab. Firebird and Moz handle it much better. Wow, I though Safari was fast. But Mozilla and Firebird have its ass on speed! Is 1.1 faster?

Also there are strange lines that appear when scrolling down, and the screen flickers. Are these fixed in 1.1?
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Another problem. It reloads the whole page for eCampus from PeopleSoft on our college site instead of just the part that needs to be refreshed when you enter data and hit Tab. Firebird and Moz handle it much better. Wow, I though Safari was fast. But Mozilla and Firebird have its ass on speed! Is 1.1 faster?

That would be the cache problems i mentioned earlier.

Quote:

Also there are strange lines that appear when scrolling down, and the screen flickers. Are these fixed in 1.1?

Havent seen those...
  • Reply 46 of 63
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I've been using Safari at work exclusively as a sort of test to try to get used to it and suggestions from ryaxnb, bauman and Bygimis have helped improve my opinion of Safari greatly.

Thank you guys.

Last interface gripes:

- New tab button. Like Mozilla, I really like having a small button, easily accessable, that'll create a new tab.

I'm not much of a typist and usually navigate with my trackball/mouse.

- Bookmarks. Really dislike bookmark management and I really wish that when you mouse over a folder it doesn't obscure all the other bookmarks as much.

It also pops up too quickly - there should be more of a delay before it springs. Truly hate that about Safari.

- SnapBack. Not always where I want to SnapBack to. Is there a command to designate a page? (I'm sure there is, I'll search for it).

Overall, I'm digging Safari more.

I really want to like it, but I think most people agree that it's not there yet.

Apple has done a lot in a short time with this software. I have faith that it'll keep improving.

A Windows version would be great.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

• Reply 48 of 63
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Infiltrate and divide!
  • Reply 49 of 63
    hehe exactly cake, exactly. I think that would be a good idea, along with iTunes for Windows. What else would power the iTMS? KHTML...

Yes there IS a way to set a Snapback page!! In History there is Mark for Snapback.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Quote:

I've been using Safari at work exclusively as a sort of test to try to get used to it and suggestions from ryaxnb, bauman and Bygimis have helped improve my opinion of Safari greatly.

Thank you guys.

Thanks to you to!

What I'd really like is a Mozilla style 'Block Images from this Server', or even a Firebird Adblock style filter with *'s and stuff.

<off topic>Looks like my 12" powerbook is obsolete now </off topic>
  • Reply 51 of 63
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how do you turn off animated/flashing ads, IE and Nescape allow you to do this.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

how do you turn off animated/flashing ads, IE and Nescape allow you to do this.

take a look at this post in AI

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...9&goto=newpost

it has a link to "pithhelmet" that blocks these annoyances
  • Reply 53 of 63
    My major annoyances:

- better cookie management - i. e. option for auto-delete cookies when quit. Like iCab and Opera do it (already mentioned above)

- more effective picture saving: I usually drag images directly from the browser window to a folder of my choice. This works with most Mac browsers, Mozilla (unfortunately) being the exception and saving the entire page instead (like PCs do it)

Safari first loads the image, and when i drag it to my folder safari seems to download it a second time (instead of copying the cached image). Quite time consuming and occassionally i get corrupt files - way inferior to Netscape 4.8 (sic) on my classic system which makes them appear instantly in my folder and never produces trash

• Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:

Thank you guys.

Last interface gripes:

- New tab button. Like Mozilla, I really like having a small button, easily accessable, that'll create a new tab.

I'm not much of a typist and usually navigate with my trackball/mouse.

- Bookmarks. Really dislike bookmark management and I really wish that when you mouse over a folder it doesn't obscure all the other bookmarks as much.

It also pops up too quickly - there should be more of a delay before it springs. Truly hate that about Safari.

- SnapBack. Not always where I want to SnapBack to. Is there a command to designate a page? (I'm sure there is, I'll search for it).

Overall, I'm digging Safari more.

I really want to like it, but I think most people agree that it's not there yet.

Apple has done a lot in a short time with this software. I have faith that it'll keep improving.

I think it's "there." My one notable problem with it is it's crashing.

Here are the things I like about Safari:

Text size buttons: Yes I know IE has 'em, but not for Windows.

Reload/Stop button: Some people complain, but I like it.

History menu: No one's mentioned this? I love it; no more bulky history windows or sidebars (i.e. Mozilla and IE.)

Services: IE doesn't support services. Safari does. Hooray!

No icons in link bar: Shows Apple's attention to detail. I never really understood why they were there anyway.

Compact toolbar: I have a "puny" 1024x768 screen, so the tiny toolbar is cool.

Google search: I really like being able to Cmd+T, Tab, type, Enter to search.

However, it crashes more than some browsers. Also, no toolbar control button (why?) It doesn't, however, crash more than IE, and under IE 5.1 on Mac OS 9.2, I often hose the system once or twice (gasp!) a day.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    yes where is the tic tac Toolbar button!!! It should have that at least, but an auto hide feature while in fullscreen to make it TRULY fullscreen like F11 on IE for Windows would be great. That's the only thing I like about PCs. Some people hate it but hey, don't use it if you don't like, genius.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    I want to be able to export my bookmarks easily from Safari.

why disable this function?

"What's the matter McFly? Chicken?"

Biff Tanner, Back To The Future
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Thanks tonton that's awesome! It would be perfect if it could also auto-hide the Safari Address and Bookmarks bars and reveal them when you mouse over them, and the MacOS menu bar above the two (no overlapping, that would make it impossible to use the address bar.)
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Any change to the cache behaviour...

I noticed that you can't deactivate the cache with Safari Enhancer anymore \
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

And animations doesnt work properly. If there are several smileys on a page, only a few of them will play..

Apparently that's fixed in Safari 1.1 for Panther. Can't we have Safari 1.1 instead of 1.0 (v85.5)? m.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    AARRRgggghhh!!! how come it still cant work with citibank online banking!! i would have assumed they must have received a million complaints about this by now....i would love to be using safari exclusively but this is ridiculous...