Baton Rouge soldier Baptized inTigris : IRAQ

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

any way back on topic, is the tigris in anyway a holla holla (holiest of holies) for christians? because even the baptized got baptized again in the jordan river when i was there. it was like "o brother where art thou" or something.

Don't you go fessin up ma favoreeet film thar...

The Tigris..connects to Christianity via the Olde Testement and how the tribes of Isreal were taken into slavery by the Babylonians and frog marched into what is now modern day Iraq.

And the song " By the rivers of Babylon " ( which incidently was made into a great top of the pops song in the 70's..) was based on the same from the Olde Testement.

Now what was that band called...?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Originally posted by Segovius Maximus

" You may be onto something though Aqua - this may now be official policy as it seems that Bush is a bit of a Fundie himself .......and is apparently lately taking advice on major policy decisions from an 'apocalyptic Bible-basher'.......The funniest thing about this not-so-funny-at-all situation is the name of the God-botherer in question: Jack Van Impe (!!!).

This is nothing new, seems the Rayguns..especially Nancy had an astrologer on staff to give interpretations and advice..as did Kennedy's wife Jacky...

George Washington apparently believed in reading tea leaves...while Lincoln would often oblige his wife's fanciful premonitions..by listening intently upon her rantings..

The presidents and their superstitions would make for an interersting book...

It seems the headier the heights of " Power " the more uncertain that we ( as humans ) become..It is as if our unconscious recognizes the need to find an "authority " outside of ourselves with which to consult..so that our base of authority doesn't swallow us up completely...

I am also reminded of the fact that Hitler always consulted and astrologer...and was also one of the first to bend religion into a state tool for propaganda.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Seems like good news to me, as long as no one dies. OK, the marriage is good, the distraction for the military personnel is bad.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Don't you go fessin up ma favoreeet film thar...

Now what was that band called...?

i didn't mean to mess your favorite film, it's just we went to this place in the golan heights and they were lined up to get baptized, and when i saw the movie i flashed on that, because it was very similar, all the sudden we were amidst all these people being baptized, although i resisted the temptation.....my wife says i'd of unholied the water, or something to that effect.

linda ronstadt did it accapela on her hasten down the wind album, then it led directly into the john & joanna hall song "give one heart" i really like that song, so it's about the tigres huh? cool.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Ra Ra Rasputin - lover of the Russian queen

there was a cat who really was gone.....

Thanx for that Sedge, I love the cover..tacky tacky.. What were the record moguls thinking ?

Actually, they even look like the Israelites of olde..right down to their little chains ( aka Babylon )... Actually the woman lying down looks like she's wearing a traditional " Shtreimel " ( The big fur lined hats that are worn by many devout jewish men. )
  • Reply 26 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm curious to know you think you know about DU and how dangerous it might be?

Well, according to Drudge...

Quote:

originally posted by Matt Drudge

PAPER: DANGEROUSLY HIGH LEVELS OF RADIATION MEASURED AROUND BAGHDAD

Mon Sep 01 2003 15:05:42 ET

EXPRESS [LONDON]

SOLDIERS and civilians in Iraq face a health timebomb after dangerously high levels of radiation were measured around Baghdad.

Levels between 1,000 and 1,900 times higher than normal were recorded at four sites around the Iraqi capital where depleted uranium (DU) munitions have been used across wide areas.

Experts estimate that Britain and the US used 1,100 to 2,200 tons of armour-piercing shells made of DU during attacks on Iraqi forces.

That figure eclipses the 375tons used in the 1991 Gulf War. Unlike that largely desert-based conflict, most of the rounds fired in March and April were in heavily residential areas.

DU rounds are highly combustible and tiny particles of the radioactive material are left on the battleground.

If inhaled the material can attack the body causing cancers, chronic illness, long-term disabilities and genetic birth defects - none of which will be apparent for at least five years.

Veterans of the first Gulf War believe that DU exposure has played a role in leaving more than 5,000 of them chronically ill and almost 600 dead.

The Royal Society, Britain's leading scientific body, described America's failure to confirm how much or where they used DU rounds as an "appalling situation".

Professor Brian Spratt, chairman of the society's working group on DU, said: "The Americans are really giving us no information at all and think it is a pretty appalling situation that they are not taking this seriously at all.

"We really need someone like the UN Environment Programme or the World Health Organisation to get into Iraq and start testing civilians and soldiers for uranium exposure."

Evidence of massive uranium radiation has emerged in recent weeks. The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle analysed swabs from bullet holes in Iraqi tanks and confirmed elevated radiation levels.

Last month Scott Peterson, of the respected Christian Science Monitor, took Geiger counter readings at several sites in Baghdad. Near the Republican Palace, his radiation readings were the "hottest" in Iraq at nearly 1,900 times background radiation levels.

Even the Ministry of Defence, which has consistently refused to accept there are dangers involved in DU exposure or that it has played role in Gulf War illnesses is addressing the problem. Soldiers returning from this year's conflict will be routinely tested for uranium poisoning. Professor Malcolm Hooper, who sits on two committees advising the Government on Gulf health issues, said he is not surprised by the radiation levels.

He said: "Really these things are dirty bombs. Exactly the sort of device that President Bush and Prime Minister Blair keep talking about being in the hands of terrorists."

• Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Well, according to Drudge...

Well I wouldn't be suprised. If it is true then it will be hushed up as per usual.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Ha ha ha I guess we have to get into the whole DU thing again. I'll start off. DU is at best the backstreet boy of radioactivity. You have a better change of radiation damage taking an intercontinental flight or reading the radium hands on your watch. Druge is ignorant and spreads ignorance.

The half life of DU is soooooooo long that it's not possible for enough radioactive decays to happen in any human lifetime to cause any damage above background. It might cause heavy metal toxicity but even that's unproven.