G5 recieves respect from PC nerds

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've noticed that the PC nerds at my school are now giving the Mac and Apple respect, all thanks to the G5. People who previously hated the Mac and everything that comes along with it(including me) are suddenly starting to lay off on the Mac bashing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Heh...I heard that the G5 was Apple's PC. Because it's a tower, unlike all their other stuff like the iMac. They didn't even know about G4 Towers. Haha
  • Reply 2 of 22
    You know, I think your exactly right.

People look at Apple and think "iMac". They didn't even know they made high end machines. It is great Apple is running that TV ad, even though it isn't that great of an ad .
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    As a proud Mac user, the day I start caring or worrying about what some "PC nerds" think about MY choice in platform is the day I sprout wings and fly over the ocean.

They're the ones stuck with that other OS. They should be happy we don't give them more shit about it. They should be looking to us for acceptance, not the other way around.

• Reply 4 of 22
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Heh...I heard that the G5 was Apple's PC. Because it's a tower, unlike all their other stuff like the iMac. They didn't even know about G4 Towers. Haha

Even aside from the G5, I'd rather have an iMac than most PC towers. Heck, I do have an iMac rather than a PC tower.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I HATE that. And they'd even call iBooks and Powrbooks iMacs.

And the Xserve.

But now, when I say "G5", people know what I mean.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    pscates - You've gone from:

Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Shouldn't we welcome more to the fold and not be a little closed society of snobby assholes?

To:

Quote:

They should be happy we don't give them more shit about it. They should be looking to us for acceptance, not the other way around.

...in just over 5 hours
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Webscreamer

You know, I think your exactly right.

People look at Apple and think "iMac". They didn't even know they made high end machines. It is great Apple is running that TV ad, even though it isn't that great of an ad .

Yep. It's a classic, overused concept. But they did it with Apple's usual attention to detail; like the telephone 'buzz', the wife, and the place where he landed. I wonder how much they paid to use that place?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

pscates - You've gone from:

To:

...in just over 5 hours

Well let me see here: how, exactly, do the two contradict? I WANT people to come to our side. In DROVES. And the reason I do is because I think it's a better way. What's the problem?

Windows sufferers (those that DO suffer with it..I know plenty of people dig it, God help them) should come over and give us a shot. I LOVE helping newbies and getting people set up and "thinking Mac" (and I love seeing the look on someone's face when they realize "hey, this really makes a lot of sense!".

But I so many condescending, spec whore PC-using buddies that like to give me endless grief about using a Mac...all while they're struggling with a virus, getting their camera to work, weird crashes, etc. THOSE are the people I tend to like to rag on a bit because they kinda ASK FOR IT. And those are the ones I'm referring to. Not your normal, regular guy who just wants to use a computer to get stuff done and make their digital life easier. I'm talking the obnoxious, know-it-all PC tweaker types who really don't know as much as they think they do...

Make sense? I haven't gone from anything to anything "in five short hours". Read deeper and try again...

• Reply 9 of 22
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    back to the topic,....

G5 is definitely garnering praise and attention among the PC crowd (and yes, it matters!)

even the hardcore Wintel dudes at my work know an amazing machine when they see one, and the G5 is be all accounts and amazing piece of technology. i have a brochure taped up at my desk showing the (beautifull engineered) G5 innards, and even total PC-heads come up, look at it, and say "wow, that's beautiful".

Apple did good.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I was in comm. tech class this morning (first day back, ugh?) and we (me, a couple other guys and the teacher) were dumping on the shittiness of the school's supplied computers, saying they should get G5's in there. Then Mr. So gave the PowerMac more praise, saying he wants one of his own. "Best platform for creation" said another guy. Too bad the staff's incompetent.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates I haven't gone from anything to anything "in five short hours". Read deeper and try again...

"They should be looking to us for acceptance" is VERY snobby.

I think you're a good writer and I enjoy reading your stuff but that kind of thing is daft.

If you think I'm trying to have a go at you then I apologize. I'm not. And believe me, you are far more knowledgeable about the Mac world than I will ever be but must you continue with this whole "mac users are superior in every way" kind of line?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Webscreamer

It is great Apple is running that TV ad, even though it isn't that great of an ad .

nice sentence - i like that
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac "They should be looking to us for acceptance" is VERY snobby.

Ernest, please. LIGHTEN up!

Why don't you measure things against the whole and learn to recognize a little bit of saucy, sideways ribbing (I try to make good, liberal usage of smileys to help out in that area).

Quote:

...but must you continue with this whole "mac users are superior in every way" kind of line?

Yes, I must.

Seriously, see above. Relax. I think everyone here probably got the whole "looking to US for acceptance" as a exaggerated little comment (knowing full well that Apple is always going to hold a smaller piece of the pie than Microsoft). I don't think anyone but you, honestly, saw that as a true, serious "snobby" comment. It's one of those silly things you say with tongue firmly in your cheek.

If the little green laughing smiley face immediately following that comment didn't tip you off, then I don't know what to say.

And you know what, Ernest? When I can go over 5 months without a restart (except when a software update requires it) and I can sit down and do EVERYTHING I intend to do with any software and peripheral I may have installed while at the same time having my ear bent by various smart-assed friends of mine who are whining about how their PC just crashed and they lost their paper or whatever, I can't help but view that as a slightly "superior" experience.

What do you want me to say? Should I wish for my Mac to act up and spaz out with the frequency of my friends and family members various Gateways and Compaqs and so forth?

No way...I've got work to do!

Relax, lighten up just a little, see comments (particularly those involving smileys) for what they are, realize that I'm not a demon and am quite a swell guy who loves to see people coming over to our side (and is always there to help in whatever way I can).

I think you've got me pegged wrong and you're taking things a bit too seriously.

• Reply 14 of 22
    Fair enough.

Apologies.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

But I so many condescending, spec whore PC-using buddies that like to give me endless grief about using a Mac

Are condescending, spec-whoring (G5!) Mac using people that like to give people endless grief abbout using a PC better?

Quote:

they kinda ASK FOR IT.

Hubris, my friend, hubris.

Being a switcher/cross-platformer, I see each side has its own strengths and weaknesses. I am very zen that way. 8)
  • Reply 16 of 22
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    I totally think that 'we,' as mac users, should be snobby about our experience. We have that right and I for one am using it.

I also look at the word snobby and see that there are different types:

Those who have it but dont allow others to.

Those who have it and show others how to get it.

I like to think that the second is the way to go. As a mac user I completely agree with pscates that in some way I feel that my experience is in atleast one way superior to a windows-only user. And so, I should flaunt it to my upmost ability but also allow others to see it, try it, and show them how to attain it.

I think many of us still have to understand the difference between more words than just 'snobby.' This could include arrogance, or just plain big egomaniac. But I believe that this same philosophy can be applied to any such word that follows thier lead.

I may not be right by any means in my thinking and you can certainly have your opinions about it. It is a forum Damnit!

Oh, and before I forget...

I have never had so many friends actually asking me what I know about the G5. They love it! I can just remember a few months back when all they did was laugh at macs when I would say something. Now hey just sit there drooling when I speak of them.

I'm loving it!

8)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'm going to start the indoctrination of one my professors tomorrow. The G5, the powerbook, UNIX!!! all scream for g33k respect. Once I convert him (and I will before my dissertation gets done - Keynote will be center stage, alongside my Mac-based Apache webserver, during my dissertation proposal), the rest of my department won't be far behind. Oh, and my proposal presentation will be run off my cute and powerful PB. How can any geek resist?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    G5 WTF is that ?

I'm still using my olde LC-475...

Like surfing Malibu on a match stick...

Yeeeee Haaarrrr Surfs up dudes...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    The G5 ads are getting attention from PC users. A PC-using colleague at work, who knows that I use a Mac, but has otherwise shown little interest in Apple computers, asked me specifically about the G5 yesterday. He previously had been unimpressed with my attempts to sell him on OSX. He was impressed, however, with the G5 ad. When you can say ?fastest? in an advertisement and get away with it, people take notice.

I don?t think that being ?fastest? is vital for most computer users if they were honest with themselves about their needs ? I, personally, decided on Apple for other reasons. But image is as important as honest need, and the G5 ? the ?fastest? - is the image that Apple needed right now to draw attention to their technology, including OSX. Good for them - I hope that developments in G5 keep Apple ahead in speed, (even if I will not be giving up my IMac G3 500 anytime soon).
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

[Bbut must you continue with this whole "mac users are superior in every way" kind of line? [/B]

But we are!

Kneel Before ZOD!