Is cottaging a caucasian thing?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I think everyone did. I've never heard it used as a verb any other way.

The word cottage itself is kind of fruity, anyway, so I suggest ditching it in favor of something more traditional like cabin or weekend home. Just don't go trying to turn those into verbs as well.

"Cottage" is used in this part of Canada in the sense of a weekend home - usually directly on a lake - without any sense that this is a 'fruity' term or ironic term and certainly not with any sense at all of the new meaning attributed to the word in the U.K. The term "cottagers" is used as well as simply meaning people who own and/or go to cottages. There are "Cottagers' Associations".... "Cottaging" I have heard as well as a term, although not as often; but again, only in the sense of going to a cottage.

I was quite surpised by the U.K. meaning. I had not heard that one at all. (Of course, what you do at a cottage is your own business. ) How the term came to be related to certain activity at public toilets is a mystery to me.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Is it just me or have a lot of Orientals started to get really whiney and annoying in regard to the topic of multi-culturalism. "Oh, I'm the token Asian. . ." "Why aren't their any Asians here?" Why? Because Orientals are some of the most self segragatory flocks around, and a critical mass of them is not renting cottages.

In further detail, the term "Asian" Is dreadfully inaccurate in its modern target usage. Apparently, Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are "Asians." Malaysians, Thai, Vietnamese, and others from south east asia don't have the luxury of being "Asian." Or so claimed some Chinese American co-workers who are all educated and, supposedly, culturally diverse. Beyond that, there's a whole lot more to Asia, the largest continent on the planet. Including Caucasia.

So the correct term is Orientals. If Orientals don't like being called Orientals, then start calling them yellows, because white folks are sort of white, black folks are sort of black, and neither of us really care.

As for cottaging, It may be one of the few self-segragatory practices still available to white folks. But if you want to throw a self-segragatory contest, Orientals will win it hands down.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Asian encompases a greater land mass than Oriental. Oriential refers to Chinese. Asian includes China and other countries. For Malaysians and Indonesians, and perhaps the rest of South-East Asia, you could say Malay. But that's not as well known.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Asian encompases a greater land mass than Oriental. Oriential refers to Chinese. Asian includes China and other countries. For Malaysians and Indonesians, and perhaps the rest of South-East Asia, you could say Malay. But that's not as well known.

That would indeed make sense, but the Orientals I know consider themselves alone as Asians. Maybe I wasn't quite clear.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Hmm... I thought this thread was going to be about cottage cheese thighs.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

That would indeed make sense, but the Orientals I know consider themselves alone as Asians. Maybe I wasn't quite clear.

You were clear, it's just that the Orientals/Asians you know are probably somewhat racist.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

You were clear, it's just that the Orientals/Asians you know are probably somewhat racist.

And hence the message is clear. Did I mention that I know a lot of Orientals? I am an electrical engineer after all.