Script Benchmark: Write a Million Numbers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Why? Safari uses only one processor

Not true.

Safari is definitely threaded for multiple CPUs like nearly all other apps. I just managed to push Safari to 145% CPU playing four flash animations and two large QuickTime movies in separate windows. The ECMAScript engine, however, appears to not be threaded.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Why are the PC's beating the pants of our Macs. the difference cannot be explained by pure MHZ?
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Why are the PC's beating the pants of our Macs. the difference cannot be explained by pure MHZ?

A profound question. There's no doubt IE on Windows is much more optimized by using some of MS undocumented kernal internals. IMHO, IE was always faster than NS on Windows. Has anyone else tested this script with Netscape/Mozilla on the same Windows machine they tested IE? The closest I've seen is mark_wilkins "7673 in Mozilla 1.2 on a 2.8 GHz Xeon (dual) running Red Hat 7.2.". This compares very well with the numbers I got on my Dual 1.25 with Safari.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    This is a singularly stupid benchmark, in that the main bottleneck is the implementation of the code for printing all those numbers, which is very optimization-sensitive. It's unclear how any of these results correspond to real-world performance of anything, although obviously faster machines tend to run faster.

The IE/Windows superiority in these tests are probably as much a matter of a single clever optimization that someone added along the way as anything else. However, I can't believe that it's a great indicator for how other tasks will do.

(P.S. Woohoo! my P4 is still the winner so far! Beat THAT!)

-- Mark
  • Reply 25 of 55
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    A pessimistic number, because I (again) I didn't bother quitting my work apps:

10406 in Moz 1.5a on a P4 1.7GHz running Windows XP.

mark_wilkins: I agree that it's a kind of silly benchmark. The most interesting thing it's pointed out to me sofar is that OmniWeb is the only browser I've run it on that displayed the code and commentary on the page before running the script. Safari and Mozilla just give me a white page and a busy cursor.

Score one for the Omni guys.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

This is a singularly stupid benchmark, in that the main bottleneck is the implementation of the code for printing all those numbers, which is very optimization-sensitive. It's unclear how any of these results correspond to real-world performance of anything, although obviously faster machines tend to run faster.

The IE/Windows superiority in these tests are probably as much a matter of a single clever optimization that someone added along the way as anything else. However, I can't believe that it's a great indicator for how other tasks will do.

-- Mark

We have to be careful not to dismiss every benchmark that doesn't produce the results we want as being unrepresentative. What we have here is an example of our machines loosing out to pc's on some very simple code.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

OmniWeb is the only browser I've run it on that displayed the code and commentary on the page before running the script.

IE 6 does that too... you still want to "score one" for OmniWeb??

-- Mark
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

We have to be careful not to dismiss every benchmark that doesn't produce the results we want as being unrepresentative.

Who's "we?" I've posted the lowest number so far and I still think it's a stupid benchmark.

-- Mark
  • Reply 29 of 55
    3765 AthlonXP 1800+ / Windows XP Home / IE 6
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:

IE 6 does that too... you still want to "score one" for OmniWeb??

I don't count IE.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    3922 (xp 1600+ - XPpro - 256megs ddr333 - IE 6)
  • Reply 32 of 55
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    DP 1Ghz QS / 1.5G RAM / 10.2.6

21758 : Netscape 7.0

10064 : Safari 1.0

8112 : Camino 0.7

OW 4.2 crapped out on me twice.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    eMac 1GHz / OS 10.2.6 / 640 MB

Safari 1.0: 10559
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Who's "we?" I've posted the lowest number so far and I still think it's a stupid benchmark.

-- Mark

Mark et al,

Although this is a purely silly benchmark (should we even call it a benchmark at all?), one thing is clear and that is IE is better optimized for windows than any other browser on the PC or Mac. And this does apply to more than just text from this script. There's certainly more that can be done to optimize Safari but it won't be an easy job when we are dealling with open source. Anyone correct me if I wrong here.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    3026 P4 IE/windows
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

There's certainly more that can be done to optimize Safari but it won't be an easy job when we are dealling with open source.

Software optimization is software optimization. Nothing prevents it from flying along. Certainly, nothing at all prevents Apple from taking OS code and optimizing it specifically for their platform.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

And this does apply to more than just text from this script.

Are you saying this benchmark is indicative of general slowness issues? On the basis of what do you say this?

-- Mark
  • Reply 38 of 55
    yuck

pb 550

had some programs running in the backround,

safari 1.0(85) 31157

Firebird 0.6.1 26807

firebird was faster but it was hell to scroll to the bottom, the scroll bar actually disappeared, and the scroll column broke heh While i could drag the bar right through the whole thing smoothly in safari.

edit:

second attempt: firebird didn't break and it got 26368
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Here are some interesting results I got:

Powerbook G4 1000Mhz 1024MB RAM OS X 10.2.6

IE 5.22 - 55537

Netscape 7.1 - 10584

Safari 1.0 - 10204

Now same powerbook running Windows 2000 on VPC 6.0 (320MB PC RAM)

IE 6.0 - 14430

Netscape 7.1 - 24956

Hmmmm... says something about IE 5 Mac and IE 6 Windows

Also,

Powermac G4/500 OS 9.22

IE 5.16 - 76943

Netscape 7.02 - 12510

Compaq Pentium 3 350mhz

IE 6.0 - 17740

Netscape 7.1 - 37700

No other applications running during all tests on all computers.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by bayside

Here are some interesting results I got:

That's pathetic!

(the IE 5.2.2 on the Mac number I mean.)

-- Mark