Reason I am a Liberal: Infrastructure in deep trouble/decay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
THIS is why I am a Liberal.

we need to realize that we are not isolated atomized 'rugged individuals' and that we are part of a civilization.

It reminds me of the book I just read about the real reasons for the collapse of the Roman Empire: lack of concern for, or understanding about the infrastructure upon which thier civilization rested.

We need to take care of this issue. It is like so many of the issues which, when looked at squarely, do not jibe with the rhetoric which wags the index finger and yells "we are #1":

Poverty, sprawl, fat, with unlivable traffic ridden ex-urban cities, crumbling schools, lying through their teeth leadership, spiteful political discourse, more gas consumption and dependance on Arab oil than thirty years ago, and no plan to look at the real heating up of the planet (in fact 'naw that aint real') . . . plus guys with hatred are aiming at us everyday . .

. . . and then this too: our very physical foundations are crumbling and in need of serious care and attention . . . which, of course, would cost a lot of money . . . which would mean more taxes . . . or at least a redirection of spending. And that means that none of what is needed will get done

why?

because of the ruling trendy ideology of blindness du-jour: Conservatism

It has become trendy to think that Government is meaningless and taxes are always bad. wrong.

We all live on a precarious interwoven mesh of civil services and supports . . . if we privatize them all then the only thing that will ensure their stability is . . .nothing.

Greed doesn't ensure that public and civil well being are cared for . . . but greed rules the roost when corporations do all of the governing of the systems that sustain a civilization.

America is a great country but we need to stop thinking that we are all seperate and isolated and start thinking like members of civilization or it will continue to crumble at the roots of its physical well being . . .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    I cannot see how any of that has anything to do with being a liberal....

both political sides see the signs as well. On a nation as a whole yes especially up north, and to the west it seems like the states are only spending money on standardized tests, prisons, or something.

I think we are still reeling from the massive sweeping cuts done by the government state and whole that was done in the 90's.

Have you ever been to texas? I thought we had horrible roads, and bad tasting water... and now when I've visited other states.. I'm thankful. I didn't know I had it so good.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

why?

because of the ruling trendy ideology of blindness du-jour: Conservatism

Of course! And Limbaugh's been telling me that everything's the fault of the liberals! His answers always did seem too simplistic for me. I'm wondering, though. What about all the taxes government is ALREADY collecting? It's not exactly chump change, you know. Why isn't any of THAT money making a dent in these infrastructure needs?
  • Reply 3 of 80
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    So I suppose now we can stop all the wealth redistribution programs and direct the money toward infrastructure?

Republicans that I know are just fine with spending for infrastructure. It is when they take the infrastructure money, redirect it to poverty programs that you didn't vote for, and then start charging tolls, levys and other fees for something you thought you already paid for.

We have witnessed this yet again here in California. The governor is being recalled for in part, tripling the auto registration fees. We are told by him that 60 million is "wasted money that we do not have" to run the recall election. Yet 60 million to fingerprint everyone so illegal aliens can get drivers licenses isn't too much money.

They raised the sales tax a percent almost a decade ago to pay for the infrastructure repairs from the Northridge earthquake. They never took it back down and it is over 8% in most parts of the state. Now they wanted to raise it yet another percent to cover a budget shortfall.

Meanwhile at the school I teach at, they are sending out half a dozen copies of free lunch fliers begging people to sign up for the program.

Use the government as it was intended and amazingly even the most conservative person will see the common good. Use it to be Robin Hood and steal and watch it be neglected into dust.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 80
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Republicans that I know are just fine with spending for infrastructure. It is when they take the infrastructure money, redirect it to poverty programs that you didn't vote for, and then start charging tolls, levys and other fees for something you thought you already paid for.

So welfare or affordable housing aren't infrastructure? Health care wouldn't be infrastructure? Why do you lie so?
  • Reply 5 of 80
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Use the government as it was intended and amazingly even the most conservative person will see the common good. Use it to be Robin Hood and steal and watch it be neglected into dust.

read: pry our greenbacks from our cold, dead fingers.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Quote:

So I suppose now we can stop all the wealth redistribution programs and direct the money toward infrastructure?

You pay for Welfare to keep people from stealing your shit. The Nanny-state is the price you pay for your security. Imagine a million poor folks competing for your TV. Throw them some crumbs, and they leave your cheese alone. Or deport them.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by lemon

You pay for Welfare to keep people from stealing your shit. The Nanny-state is the price you pay for your security. Imagine a million poor folks competing for your TV. Throw them some crumbs, and they leave your cheese alone. Or deport them.

Obviously you have not read any statistics about "poverty" and what appliances they have. I assure you that every poor child I have met has a television.

The Nanny-state is not the price I pay for security. Your contentions are just bullshit fear tactics.

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

So welfare or affordable housing aren't infrastructure? Health care wouldn't be infrastructure? Why do you lie so?

No they aren't infrastructure. What are you smoking? Infrastructure is exactly as the article contended. Dams, power grid, roads, school and public buildings, bridges, etc.

Health care and welfare aren't infrastructure. Your wishful thinking does not change food stamps into a power grid.

However I did need someone to prove my point that liberals take gladly from infrastructure funds and divert it to wealth redistribution funds, so thanks for proving my point for me.

As for Shawn..

Quote:

read: pry our greenbacks from our cold, dead fingers.

Our...our... how did mine become our? I'll be coming over to borrow "our" car, and "our" Powerbook 550 later on Shawn. Tell Mom to make me a sandwich and I'll go hang out in "our" room.

Because greenbacks paid for all those items of yours of course.

How much money have you given to charity this year Shawn? I want to follow your fine caring example.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 80
    in·fra·struc·ture (?n?fr?-str?k'ch?r)_Pronunciation Key

n.

1.\tAn underlying base or foundation especially for an organization or system.

2.\tThe basic facilities,services, and installations needed for the functioning of a community or society, such as transportation and communications systems, water and power lines, and public institutions including schools, post offices, and prisons.

welfare and health care would be services.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    Quote:

As for Shawn..

Our...our... how did mine become our? I'll be coming over to borrow "our" car, and "our" Powerbook 550 later on Shawn. Tell Mom to make me a sandwich and I'll go hang out in "our" room.

Because greenbacks paid for all those items of yours of course.

How much money have you given to charity this year Shawn? I want to follow your fine caring example.

Nick

You seemed to be speaking for all conservatives. Unless you just want let government "turn to dust." In that case, what's a little dust that can't be dusted? Mom's got the all ready for your visit.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    Conservatives seem to figure that the government is inherently going to waste money so why give it to them in the first place. My personal feeling is that we shouldn't be screaming so much about taxes, but about getting value for our dollar. The amount of waste and corruption in government is unbeleivable and the corporate welfare is far more out of control than any social welfare program. We recently had a despicable situation in NYC where they had to turn off the lights on some of the bridges due to budget cutbacks. So some white knight corporations rode into the rescue and are donating the money to keep them on. Sounds great except some of these corporations were given sweet heart pay no taxes deals by Ghouliani. Now if they were paying the taxes they should've been paying maybe they wouldn't have had to turn off the f u c k ing lights in the first god dam place.

Remember though, our pathetic government is only a reflection of our apathetic pathetic selves....
  • Reply 12 of 80
    I agree here with trumptman 100%

This is not a liberal / conservative issue. This is a government run away with (new programs) issue regardless of political spectrum. In all cases both conservative and liberal influence within government have neglected the (old programs) such as we find in need of repair in this stated link. So much (pork) is added to simple construction works etc. that in the end the final costs run away from what the public wishes to pay. Governments be they State, Local, what have you become very much aware of the deficits that result due to this. Sadly much of government is run very very poorly reacting to needs after something is broken rather than planning for it in the first place. What we do have is a situation where by the political leadership on all sides is less than worthy of our support. Special interests and "groups" influence and buy off political figures and in the end the people are not fully represented and the people are not taken care of in a democratic style. The system needs change and the first change is doing away with the special interests. The country should be run like a business not a free for all vote buying machine.

Fellowship
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I agree here with trumptman 100%

This is not a liberal / conservative issue. This is a government run away with (new programs) issue regardless of political spectrum. In all cases both conservative and liberal influence within government have neglected the (old programs) such as we find in need of repair in this stated link. So much (pork) is added to simple construction works etc. that in the end the final costs run away from what the public wishes to pay. Governments be they State, Local, what have you become very much aware of the deficits that result due to this. Sadly much of government is run very very poorly reacting to needs after something is broken rather than planning for it in the first place. What we do have is a situation where by the political leadership on all sides is less than worthy of our support. Special interests and "groups" influence and buy off political figures and in the end the people are not fully represented and the people are not taken care of in a democratic style. The system needs change and the first change is doing away with the special interests. The country should be run like a business not a free for all vote buying machine.

Fellowship

Ah... so they're both at fault!
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

Welfare isn't a service. It's a transfer payment. It's income redistribution. Health care is a service but it still isn't infrastructure, though.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

in·fra·struc·ture (?n?fr?-str?k'ch?r)_Pronunciation Key

n.

1.\tAn underlying base or foundation especially for an organization or system.

2.\tThe basic facilities,services, and installations needed for the functioning of a community or society, such as transportation and communications systems, water and power lines, and public institutions including schools, post offices, and prisons.

Thanks Superkaratemonkeydeathcar. I love having to type out the entire name.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    I hate it when people make arguments they know aren't true.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

I hate it when people make arguments they know aren't true.

I don't know. You say Welfare isn't a service, but that doesn't make it true. I consider it a service so we should probably decide on a definition and decide where it falls. It's not 'income redistribution' for the sake of income redistribution and it is an essential service for many people.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Of course! And Limbaugh's been telling me that everything's the fault of the liberals!

And we know he's a liar, so we know that truth must be the opposite of what he says!
  • Reply 19 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I don't know...

You do know but you think it's in your interest to pretend you don't.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Quote:

You do know but you think it's in your interest to pretend you don't.

Great Scott! Why resort to a personal attack? I step up and try to resolve a question and you attack me. That doesn't advance the discussion in the least.

Welfare is not income redistribution any more than any other program that helps people. Sorry. Cook County Hospital is now 'income redistribution' in your eyes?

And by dictionary definition, even if it were income redistribution for the sake of income redistribution, it would still be a service. So you're wrong on both counts.