New iMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Anyone notice that this is the only the second time in history that the iMac's spec has been higher than the Powerbooks? And the only other time was for one month when the rev. D iMacs were released before the Lombard powerbooks.

Something is coming for sure and sooner rather than later

Now now..that's Future Hardware.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Very nice. Still behind but catching up and the graphics are great. One beef that is going to make me wait until the next iMac update: THEY STILL FORCE YOU TO BUY A SUPERDRIVE on the 17" iMac! I don't want one in the iMac!!!! Just combo!!! Apple has BTO for a fücking reason. What a ripoff. Still too expensive.

You're going to wait another 6-9 (-12?) months to get one just because of this? It's probably just as well anyway, you can't need it that badly if such a little thing turns you off of it.

Not saying Super only is fine, just saying you're a freak for denying yourself some iMac pleasure for such a minor sticking point.

• Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

for denying yourself some iMac pleasure for such a minor sticking point.

iMac pleasure?........is there a port i don't know about?
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:

iMac pleasure?

\

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 25 of 65
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    iMac pleasure: The joy of using the sexiest (and most phallic looking) computer in the world.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    We need to upgrade the family computer but we can wait a few months. I'm sure Apple fix this. It's really stupid.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

...just saying you're a freak for....

why does everyone rag on thuh Freaks?

...crawls back into cave...
  • Reply 28 of 65
    YES!!! in before lock...

Wait...

Oh, shit, updated iMacs...

Cool!

But where is the love?
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

iMac pleasure: The joy of using the sexiest (and most phallic looking) computer in the world.

What is so penis looking about the iMac?

Does your penis look like an iMac?
  • Reply 30 of 65
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Geez, yesterday everyone was complaining that 128 wasnt enough, and it should be 256.

The update is great, a vast improvement over what the iMac was yesterday.

The key improvement is the move to the geforce 5200.

Quartz Extreme is going to get more acceleration, and of actual drawing operations, not just compositing. The key to that acceleration is going to be the pixel and vertex shaders in the newer GPU's. They are fully programmable, and Im pretty sure that soon we'll see them being used to do font rendering and the like.

Offloading rendering from the cpu is going to be a handy speed boost, and you'll get it for free with the new iMac 17.

I do think they are too expensive. 200 off all models, 999 for the 15, would be much better.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    don't these new iMacs also have a faster bus? were the old iMacs 133 Mhz? how much difference does that make anyway?
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Also....

So which computer is now faster...the 17" 1Ghz Powerbook with L3 cache, or the 1.25 GHz iMac with no L3????

True, there are other differences, such as graphics cards and HD speed.

My guess is that this little iMac is pretty fast.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by neurokid

don't these new iMacs also have a faster bus? were the old iMacs 133 Mhz? how much difference does that make anyway?

My understanding is they have 167Mhz buses that were in the last Powermac....
  • Reply 34 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Observation: They flip-flopped many of the ports on the back. Now USB and VGA are on the left side (as you look from the rear), and the audio ports (including a new audio in) and ethernet are moved to the right. Just FYI.

And be realistic people. This iMac will sell fine. Where else can you bundle a 17" WIDESCREEN LCD with a G4 processor into a stylish little unit for $1799 USD? The Powerbooks can't (and won't be able to) do it.

My gripe: Would it kill them to put gigabit ethernet in it?
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

And be realistic people. This iMac will sell fine. Where else can you bundle a 17" WIDESCREEN LCD with a G4 processor into a stylish little unit for $1799 USD? The Powerbooks can't (and won't be able to) do it.

Nowhere, because no other company sells or uses G4 processors.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vraxtus

Nowhere, because no other company sells or uses G4 processors.

Yes, thank you for clearing that up for me.

What I meant was where else in the different lines of Apple computers can you find those specs for that price?

Oh, and welcome to AI vraxtus!
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by neurokid

The 17 had a 133MHz bus, but the 15 still had the old motherboard at 100MHz. So this is a nice boost.

The bus is a major bottleneck for the G4, so the faster the better. The new 15 should be a big improvement over the old.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    $400 Australian drop in both models (Academic prices - I don't keep track of the normal prices when I'm eligible for academic prices).

Was considering an eMac 1GHz combo with upgraded RAM to 256MB - A$1,876.60, but the 15inch iMac (also 1GHz combo and 256MB RAM) is much more attractive now - A$2,115.30

Perhaps signalling a price drop in eMacs? Or demise of eMac altogether?
  • Reply 39 of 65
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

What is so penis looking about the iMac?

Does your penis look like an iMac?

If you've ever unpacked an FP iMac and the pro speakers, you'd know what I mean.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Also, wondering if anyone noticed that in the Australian website, the "special deals" for the old iMacs are actually selling for higher than the new iMacs? Both academic and normal categories. Maybe I'm missing something, but what's going on here?